Swat 4 Community Overhaul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Swat 4 Community Overhaul

At the moment, Swat4 has a very small following here at TG. This is probably due to the fact that there isn't a dedicated server, and people are always on at different times. What I am offering up, is a solution, that should bring people in to Play Swat4, the "TG way".

SWAT4 Revival Guide/suggestions

A "Tactical Gamer" Overhaul By: [TG] Shoomfie

TG PRIMER (MUST READ)
    read it here!

The Forums
    1. "part-time" admin

I don't know who admins (or who is supposed to admin), the Swat4 forums, but I have to say... It's really weak. So here's the thought: Find someone to officially admin Swat4. Even if he/she only checks up on the forums once a week or so, it'll still be better than having stickied threads from '05 about the server being online :D. Also, doing this would provide kind-of a "go-to" guy/gal, to organize (at least a little bit), the happenings of Swat4 in the TG community.

2. Sub-Forums

The Swat4 forums, at this point in time, needs another sub-forum: "events". I feel this way because, there is no dedicated server. It's up to community members to host Swat4 events. And so, if/when the community un-buries itself from the grave, it'll need a spot to announce events, pick-up games, practices (why not?), and regular meeting times.

3. Census

just to get an Idea of who's still playing, I've taken the liberty of creating a census

The game (on your PC)
    1. Expansions/Mods

Fortunately, there aren't that many mods/expansions out there. So here's a list of what I play with, and I suggest everyone else to do the same.
      • Swat 4 (duh!)
      • Swat 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate (Xpack)
      • Sheriff Special Forces v3.2 (MOD)
      • From inside the SSF launch Menu, I downloaded all the maps, as well as the "Scooby's sheriff skin pack"
      • ACM (Server manager)(OPTIONAL)

By following this mod-set, we'll be able to standardize what we have, and make it easier for us all to play together online.

2. TeamSpeak 3 Information
      Address 74.52.1.234
      Port 9988

Getting started with TS

Download TS

Server/Hosting
    1. First off, there is no specific TG server for Swat4 anymore. So it is up to us, the members of this community, to either host from their computer or schedule an event on one of the few remaining servers (last I checked there were three of them).
    2. although I am not too familiar with the Advanced Control Manager (ACM) mod, from what I can tell this seems to be an invaluable mod for serving
    3. Simply put: house rules apply. It's their server, if you don't like it... leave. However, try and keep the rules to the TG standards. If there's something you play "different" than what people are used to, make sure that you make this clear in your event posting.
    4. I feel it's a very good Idea, that when you plan an event, do so at least a week ahead of time. I'm hoping for an "events" sub-forum here, so that we can subscribe to it, and keep updated about when people will be playing.
    5. When hosting a game it's probably a good idea to password the server and leave the password somewhere here on the forums (that way we can keep the community tactically tight as of the moment). Not that we're excluding people from playing with us, we just want to make sure they know how we're playing first.
    6. Don't forget to put an admin password on as well. ;)

A little bit of Tactics/SOP

Let me first say the playing with pepperballs and beanbags all the time, is just stupid... really, really stupid. As a commitment to the "TG way" of playing tactical and "at least somewhat" realistically, we of the SWAT4 community, should do our best, to not all run around with beanbag guns and SAW's. We should all pick out loadouts wisely and realistically. It's Ok, to launch a crap load of gas into a building before entering. It's Ok, to use A (singular) optiwand on the team. Door wedges are your friend, so don't abuse them. Also, switching into two teams (red, blue), isn't always a bad thing.

Picking a Lead man is very important (Usually Blue Leader), as it allows everyone to be on the same page. Of course, this only really works when your using your mic. This should be done first, via voting from the the pre-game menus. once a leader has been picked, everyone hush up and do as he/she says. They should pick weapons for you, or at least a weapon style (SMG, AR, Shotty, handguns, etc.). The leader is in charge of a plan of entry and movement, follow their lead.

Along with using a mic, sometimes the in-game commands can be helpful, by marking things you want individuals to do, (because Sometimes they just don't get it) ;). It also can improve situational awareness just a little.

Don't forget to communicate when a room is clear or not. ;)

assuming everyone uses the skinpack I suggested earlier, it's a very good Idea to wear the same color scheme. That way you don't end up shooting each other.

And one last thing... have fun!!!

Now lets get things rolling. Although I may not be able to actually play for a while, I'll certainly be active on the forums here. If an admin reads this: please do something about the ancient stickies. :D
    Last edited by Shoomfie; 08-11-2011, 04:34 PM.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
    "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Re: Swat 4 Community Overhaul

bump ^

Comment

The admin was me...long ago, and we were the best damn tactical team ever to play this game. (IMO, lol)... we did it right, how it was suppose to be played... some of the best, most tactical gameplay I ever played in 30 years of gaming... then I spoke out against TG changes that have ruined this place for me, along with some out of control "game officers"; eventually banned for over a year... my advise, contact whoever is in charge of TG now, and ask to be the game admin, I know the old chief wanted to reboot the TG server... guess it never happened.

Good Luck.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Thanks. I definitely will. Unfortunately It'll be really hard for me to actually play for a while, as I won't have access to a high enough bandwidth to actually play. So although I'd love to see this get started back up, I'll just have to wait and see if I can have the time/web-power to manage it.
        Last edited by Shoomfie; 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

I'm down to do this. I may not be the brightest but I play non-lethal exclusively. ;)

Actually the last group I played this with we'd do three rounds each map. The first two were non-lethal, the third made up for anything that'd gone wrong before lol.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I would really love to play again. I don't think it would take much to get a SWAT4 server back up and running on the C&E box for planned events either. I might even still have it installed.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I have this on my shelf with the SS expansion and have never played multiplayer, would love to try it for a laugh.

Comment

Unfortunately, I've since moved to a location that has really, really... I mean "REALLY", bad internet. So I'll be around on the forums, but that's about it for a while. :(

Comment

We just need one more for a team. Now where did I put that cd...
                  |TG-189th| Unkl
                  ArmA 3 Game Officer
                  "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I'll play some, got swat 4 & stet. synd.

Comment

I'm playing stock Stetchkov right now...hosting under my name.
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

[necro]I'm kicking this idea around in my head again or something close to this (for real this time). Waiting for CD's to arrive and install. standby for SWAT 4![/necro]

IT WILL LIVE!!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse