Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 new, very nice maps...

http://hot-swat-mods.com/index.php

check out the three new maps, just tested and played them all... very very well done.

They say SP, but you start a co-op server, and they can be played as MP co-op... what they mean is it's not a force on force map.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: 3 new, very nice maps...

:row__586:

Those maps look awesome!!

Here's a question though. If the maps are played SP, do they come with a mission? Or is it just move in and clear?

If we do ever get SWAT4 up and running here, I'll need a big lesson on using mods...

Comment

They are actual missions with a briefing, with subjects and with hostages.

What sucks, and there may be a way I am just mis-informed, is that all these add-on maps/missions either say SP (single player) or MP (multiplayer)...

A MP map usually means that there is no bad guys or hostages, there usually created for the deathmatch and teamdeathmatch type games (which I rarely, rarely ever play.)

A SP map/mission really isn't single player, it's co-op... you can't load a SP map/mission from the single player screen then play it with 4 AI fellow cops... SP usually means co-op, (which is what I play 90% of the time), this means you have to activate the mission/map in a server, then either play it alone, lone wolf style...which I do alot, or as a MP co-op mission.

So these SP maps/missions can't be played by yourself with officer AI... they have to be on a server.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Ahhhh...

Thanks for the clarification. Is there such a thing as a SP mission mod that can be played with AI officers? Is it just not done? Or does the modding tools not allow it?

Comment

I don't think the modding tools allow it, but I could be wrong...haven't seen any yet.
          Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

You mean you guys have never played custom missions in SP?! You just load it up through the console using the open command. So:

Code:
            open mapname.s4m
            10-David even has a mission loader so you don't have to do that.
            http://www.10-david.com/?p=files_item&selg=3&id=2050

It's pretty stupid how Irrational set it up to play custom missions but it can be done. Basically, an SP map requires certain entities set like start points, AI officer start points and room clearing paths. I can't remember if all the AI stuff is necessary because you can play a map that compiles with errors.

I don't want to rant anymore about Irrational's crappy modding support and retarded game setup but I will. Custom missions don't even have original objectives. All mappers use the ones that came with the game because objectives are centralized in one file for all missions. If a mapper wants to make a new objective, that file must be changed, which means version mismatch in MP. So, the only way around is to make a new mod, which means more work and creating a new version of SWAT. The same goes for mission briefings. All custom missions use the stock briefings and maps. It's the stupidest thing ever. Irrational has no excuse except design snafu. Raven Shield uses the same engine (albeit an older version) and map files hold all the mission briefing data so wherever the map goes, that information goes with it. Oh, the engine supports auto-downloading too but it's a feature that isn't supported. Well, isn't that nice. Don't have the map when you join the server? Connection error with a bubbly texture background. Sometimes it takes somebody 10 minutes to figure out a custom map is missing because of a lack of information in the server listing and the connection error message.

That's my rant from mapping with SWAT 4 a long time ago.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Great info Sarc!

Magnum, if you get a chance can you see if this console method will work on those three brand new maps? I'd like to know if there are more missions available in SP when I have finished with the original campaigns...

Comment

Ya it works, but now... 90% of the time I play online co-op.
                Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Originally posted by en4rcment
                  Great info Sarc!

Magnum, if you get a chance can you see if this console method will work on those three brand new maps? I'd like to know if there are more missions available in SP when I have finished with the original campaigns...
                  There are a ton of missions available. Not all of them are great. One mapper, Deadman, has made a lot of maps you may want to try. The atomosphere in his maps are pretty good but the quality is a bit lacking. Some of his earlier maps have doors that don't line up properly or clip through the door frame. I think Scooby has made one map that's really nice looking. Just check out Missions of the download section of Hot Swat Mods.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X