Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt 2: Tips, Tricks, and Things you should know

Hello all,

I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread where all of us Dirt 2 players could exchange our tips and tricks on how to be successful drivers. So, without further ado and in no particular order:

First and foremost, I feel that you should have a good gamepad (one that has analog throttle and brake) or a wheel/pedals setup. Having the analog throttle and brake give you much more precise control over the vehicle than the all on/all off control of a keyboard.

Pick a vehicle that matches up with the way you drive. For instance, I prefer to drift my vehicle in the corners, therefore, I generally drive a RWD (rear wheel drive) car. This is not to say that you can't drift an AWD (all wheel drive) car. I just find it easier to swing the rear end out with RWD.

If the session host sets up a set of races with collisions ON and picks a race type that has a grid start, DRIVE YOUR LINE! For instance: If you start on the pole (first row on the left) and the first turn is to the right, stay in the outside lane through the turn. This tip leads into the next...

Winning and getting good times in Dirt 2 is NOT about being the fastest (MPH) on the track/course, it's all about clean racing and driving a good line through the corners. Therefore, brake into a turn (a little e-brake before the apex starts a good drift) and power out of the turn.

Now that I have got us started, chime in and give us your tips on successful driving. Don't be stingy!

sigpic

Re: Dirt 2: Tips, Tricks, and Things you should know

I prefer a high downforce setup when I can use it. The car is much more stable at high speed, great for the Utah stages. A downside to this is at low speed the wing can hamper drifting, so there are pluses and minuses just like every setup.

In grid races I generally wait about a fraction of a second after the Go is given. This way I can stay out of first corner accidents and squeeze by anyone who goes too deep on braking.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Considering joe generally does pretty well with a keyboard, and I'm not too shabby with keyboard or digital pad, I'd have to take issue with your first and foremost recommendation :)

My two biggest suggestions:
      It's easier to start consistent and get fast than start fast and get consistent.
      Driving in general, and this game in particular, rewards going slow into corners and fast out of them. Brake nice and early and set yourself up for the next straight.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

I agree with Balfa's second statement above. Also, if you are on a course with short straightways, then make sure you adjust your gear ratio accordingly and the same for the opposite.

Former TG-21st
        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

This is how I race.. Only the Nissan 350z. I tap the regular foot brake for a sec with one tic front brake bias then drop a gear or two depending on my speed/corner and then hard on the power all the way through. Sometimes gets me into trouble but I do decent XD
          sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

More tips

After a few races that we ran recently with collisions on, I noticed that most drivers were doing their best to stay in the proper lane, which is great. But, I noticed a new problem: Drivers near the rear of the starting grid failed to slow down enough to stay in their lane and ended up crashing almost everyone. Be sure that, at the start of the race you are able to keep control of your vehicle by braking early.

On Landrush tracks, the starting grid puts everyone side by side, which is a fun way to start. Generally, there is a lot of bumping and wrecking when the lights go green, then the bitching starts. I am aware that most of the bitching is just us joking around, but there does seem to be an undercurrent of frustration as well. I have noticed a couple things that are contributing to the problem.

1. The starting area seems to be designed to force the drivers somewhat into each other.
            2. Some drivers seem to not notice that there is another driver right next to them and immediately start turning when the green light glows, causing a wreck.

Generally, with my 360 controller, I use my right thumbstick to look left and right, in order to see if there is someone there. (I'm not sure how a person with a wheel set-up would do this so, if someone with a wheel could post how to, it would be greatly appreciated.) If I notice that I am boxed in, I either try to keep in my lane by driving as straight as possible or, I wait a second before leaving the line in order to give everyone room. Some drivers may not like to take the one second hit to their time, but I have rarely had a problem making that time up.

Something that's helped me a great deal in learning to drive in Dirt 2 is playing single player on Savage difficulty. While I was playing SP, I did my best to drive as clean as possible and not wreck the AI drivers. I think there are a few of us that would benefit greatly from doing this.

A popular saying in NASCAR (and probably most other motorsports) is: Rubbin' is Racin'! Small taps and bumps, rubs and leaning on other drivers is to be expected and should not be seen as a bad thing, or even worse, intentional wrecking. But, using the PIT maneuver is an extremely cheap tactic and has no place in real life motorsports or in our racing sessions. This leads to the next tip...

If you are racing hard and come upon a driver in front of you that is going slower than you are, it is not the driver in the leads responsibility to get out of your way. It is the job of the lead driver to make it hard for you to pass. Your job, as the trailing driver, is to get advance your position without wrecking yourself or the driver in front of you. Keep in mind that there are places on the track where passing is all but impossible and it should not be attempted. I have found that one of the best tactics is to sound your horn to let the lead driver know you are there. With me, this makes me look at the mini-map to see someone is on my butt. Most times, it's not a big deal, but sometimes it causes me to make a mistake and give the trailing driver an clean opportunity to pass. Another tactic is to just be patient and wait for a wider section of track to make your pass.

sigpic

Comment

You have to finish first to finish first
              If you look at the real rules, great idea MK for bringing that up, although this is not run as a sim, and is meant to be just for FUN , they are just a good guide, and being a good sport and insuring fun for everyone.

Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as more than one change of direction to defend a position, deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
              20.4 As soon as a car is caught by another car which is about to lap it during the race the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first available opportunity

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
              George S. Patton

Comment

Another top tip:

If you are racing behind someone into a corner, your front wheels need to be in front of the back wheels of the car in front to claim the inside line into the corner. Diving into the corner ala Takuma Sato or Sebastian Vettel is not appreciated.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry to ask the n00b question.. but who is Sato and Vettel?

I be a NASCAR fan.

sigpic

Comment

F1 drivers. I'll see if I can find some video examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aveBrKzFrY
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4f3...eature=related
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3-LB...eature=related
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWv-96a0hM0 (indy)
                    Last edited by ACOGRecon; 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

BUMP

I think there are quite a few people that could benefit from using these tips and tricks. The racing has gotten pretty sloppy as of late, and I am tempted to start turning collisions off. Especially since I seem to be in the minority of drivers that actively seeks to AVOID wrecking another driver, even going so far as to wreck myself in favor causing a multi car accident.

The main tip that seems to be ignored most often: Drive your line at the start of the race

Here are some new tips that might help to keep wrecks to a minimum:

When you are following closely behind an opponent, have your finger/foot ready to hit your brakes at a moments notice.

Also, while following closely behind another driver, remember that your braking point will be farther from the corner. Braking a bit earlier will keep you out of the rear end of the lead driver.

On LandRush tracks, look to the left and right to see where you are on the starting line. Most tracks narrow on the left side of the track, so be sure to move a bit to the right to give everyone room.

And lastly, keep this in mind: If we continue to race with collisions on and I keep getting wrecked because of others bad driving.. I will start making sure that the bad drivers don't finish the race.

One last thing.. I will be happy to give more personalized, one-on-one lessons to anyone that would like some help in learning clean driving. I am sure that other clean drivers would be more than happy to give pointers as well.

sigpic

Comment

Here's what it seems most people don't get:
                        Cars have to slow down for corners. When someone in front of you reaches a corner first, they have to slow down before you. If you're not that close to someone on the straight, after both of you brake, you'll be right up behind them through the corner. If you ARE close to them on the straight, then if you both brake at your respective braking points, you will be right up in their back seat during the corner. That's no good for anyone.

The alternatives are, brake early, so you avoid hitting them, or get off the racing line. Unfortunately getting off the racing line isn't possible going into the very first turn of the race, because you have other cars all around you and you'll just hit them. The only option is brake, wait, just be resigned to the fact that if you're not on the front line of the grid, you're going to be driving through the corner slower than you otherwise could. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of opportunity to overtake people later in the race.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Everyone has pretty much voiced my tips..... racing clean is my highest priority.

Does anyone have any tips for getting off the line the quickest?

I've been trying to figure it out. i seem to get the best starts when i am full throttle and have my foot on the brake.. when i see green, i let go of the brake. I seem to get pretty good starts this way. Anyone have a tip for quick starts?

Comment

I put the throttle nearly at the edge of the red RPM zone, and then gun it afterwards. DiRT2 does not have enough realistic traction features to make you actually have to be careful when accelerating.

Former TG-21st
                            Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Yeah I've been testing with putting the throttle at just about "red line", and I'm noticing some bogging at start, just floor it from there! I wish there were more control as far as tire selection and pressure, etc. You really get a feel for the throttle in the buggy/trophy truck races. You really have to finesse the throttle in those classes.

Finesse the throttle! Another advantage to having a forcefeedback/contoller setup.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X