Dirt 3 First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt 3 First Impressions

Well, after the fun that is ~30 minutes of Steam "decrypting" the pre-order downloaded files, I got in a couple of SP races. The first was a rally and the second was a rallycross (in my home state). So far, I am pretty impressed.

Graphics:

The graphics don't look too much different from Dirt 2 to me. The environments might look a little better but, not much. This might be due to the fact that I am still on a pre-DX11 video card, specifically a GTX275. I have almost everything maxed, run at 1920X1080 smoothly (no idea on actual FPS as I didn't have FRAPs running).

Rally:

I am very impressed on the way the cars handle. As anyone that's raced with me in Dirt 2 knows, I have always complained that the cars felt very underpowered. In Dirt 3, that problem has been taken care of. The car I drove (think it was a Peugeot) had considerable acceleration and felt flat out fast.

I didn't really have much of a chance to look around at the environment while driving the rally course, I was too busy trying to keep my car on the dirt road. I think I might have seen some houses... All I can really say is that I found it pretty challenging. But in all honesty, I suck at Rally.

Rallycross:

The car I raced (no idea this time on which) in this discipline handled really well but felt a little slow to me, powering out of the corners. That might be corrected with a little tuning, which I didn't do. Over all, the car actually felt more "real" to me than the cars did in Dirt 2. It's pretty hard to describe so, you will just have to play it to find out what I'm talking about.

The Rallycross track is at a old steel mill in Michigan and looks pretty dingy and dirty like you'd expect. I can't remember now but, I think it was raining when I raced on the gravel track. The track was pretty fun and will probably get better once I start learning my turn in and braking points.

So far, it looks like it's going to be fun. Hard to tell with only a couple of SP races though.

sigpic

Re: Dirt 3 First Impressions

Question, do you use the wheel or a pad? I've been really iffy about this game and my money mainly hinges on wether the game feels "right" with a wheel, as DiRT and DiRT 2 feel awful with my G27. I think it's mostly the tiny brake distances, the enourmous grip and what you were talking about : cars feel like they have no power. (though most were based off of Group N cars so that isn't entirely incorrect.. but it was still too far)

Comment

I love it. It is graphically orgasmic! The braking feels real finally and you cant rely only on regular brakes, but a combination of both. Im gonna be glued to this game for a long time i think :D
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

damn you joe, you just cost me 45 bucks.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Sorry Delta, I use a Xbox 360 controller, so I can't help ya. If I remember correctly, Mediator, Wookiie and redneck all use a wheel so they may be able to help you out.

sigpic

Comment

I use my PS3 controller to play on PC, but DIRT "forgets" my settings and resets the controller config to Keyboard when restarting the game. Does that happen to your 360 controller config too Mindkill?
            former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Originally posted by dawolf View Post
              I use my PS3 controller to play on PC, but DIRT "forgets" my settings and resets the controller config to Keyboard when restarting the game. Does that happen to your 360 controller config too Mindkill?
              Almost certainly not as the 360 controller is natively supported because DiRT 3 is, I believe, Games for Windows just like DiRT 2. I know the PS3 controller drivers are custom so you might try another one if there are multiple ones available.

I used my 360 controller for DiRT 2 and it was pretty good, after lots of playing I got into the top 1000 times for some rallys.
              That's DiRT 2 though, brilliant with a controller, awful with a wheel. 'Tis the only reason I ask my question.

Comment

Nope, dawolf, my 360 controller was set up once and has kept it's settings through 2 separate race sessions.

Actually, the only issue I have with my controller is that it seems more sensitive than it was in Dirt 2. I just have to remember to tweak it a bit next time I start up the game.

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I changed my MotionJoy settings (that's the tool that lets you use the PS3 controller on the PC) from "analogue stick" to "Xbox360 emulator" - now it works perfect.

Comment

Kickbutt!

sigpic

Comment

Tell me more of this motionjoy thing...

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Balfa: Actually it's called MotioninJoy. It's a Windows driver and configuration tool for the PS3 controller. Look here: http://www.motioninjoy.com/download
                        Instructions included on the page. I have it connected using USB cable and did not try bluetooth yet.

Also, I made a small DIRT3 montage bypassing the useless built-in YouTube uploader:

Comment

I like this game.
                          doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed