keyboard config?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keyboard config?

so i just got er installed.. and .. whew... driving w/ the stock key assignments is TOUGH to get a feel for...

figured I ask around here before i go playing with it - anyone here tweak there KB controls to something usable and intuitive?

edit - or tried steering w/ a joystick? might give that a whirl

Re: keyboard config?

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
    so i just got er installed.. and .. whew... driving w/ the stock key assignments is TOUGH to get a feel for...

figured I ask around here before i go playing with it - anyone here tweak there KB controls to something usable and intuitive?

edit - or tried steering w/ a joystick? might give that a whirl
    Not sure about joystick; but if you don't wanna invest on a wheel and I presume you have a playstation or playstation2 get a "PS2 to PC controller adpater". Its only $8 and it will work much better than a joystick (i think). I've been using one for FFXI and NFSMW & BF2 for flying. Besides, you will need more buttons than a joystick can provide.

link: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...am+Adapter.htm

Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

oooooo nice...

Comment

It is way to hard with a keyboard on professional. If you can try to pick up a momo logitech wheel off eBay cheap. It is worth every penny.
        Last edited by Turbo; 09-19-2006, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo View Post
          It is way to hard with a keyboard on professional. If you can try to pick up a momo mo logitech wheel off eBay cheap. It is worth every penny.
          Yup. or a cheaper alternative would be the Logitech WingMan Formula Force GP Force Feedback Wheel/Pedals USB PC: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...asterid=313568

Thats one of the steering I had and it worked find with this game. Whatever you got, just make sure it is force feedback
          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

First off, I firmly believe that you'd be at a severe disadvantage driving without a wheel/pedal combo. So much so that you might just hate racing, or at least racing at the level we're aiming for.

Originally posted by RocketPunch View Post
            Thats one of the steering I had and it worked find with this game. Whatever you got, just make sure it is force feedback
            What he said.

While moving up to a wheel combo is as necessary as already pointed out, it's almost as important to have the force feedback. I feel completely disconnected from the sim road surface without the feedback. It's way beyond bells and whistles for me, and I thnk that's the case with most others. The devs really went all out trying to model the physics... cutting yourself off from feedback that they provide you with to moderate your performance is really quite handicapping (all IMO).

My advice... get a wheel. If you can afford it, get one with FF. :icon_cool

Comment

While a wheel would be ideal, I'm now fairly comfortable and adept with a joystick (I'm talking rFactor here, by the way). I don't quite have the ready cash to invest in a wheel + pedals, but a joystick is certainly adequate and better than a keyboard.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
              |TG-2nd|munchkin
              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Yes, this is indeed true Munchkin.

I should strongly add that I know I am rather outspoken about having 'the best' gear possible. I've come to depend on it for getting the most out of sim racing (note the emphasis on *sim*... the more connected I feel to it, the more I enjoy it and believe it's real). That obsession on my part is easy to spill over into sounding pushy.

The last thing I want to do is *discourage* anyone from joining us. The League is meant as another extension of TG, and all the goals and ideals that TG promotes and strives for. There's room for hardcore simmers and/or competitors (they're not always the same thing ;) ) as well as enthusiasts looking for a chance to wind it out.

So anyone who's heard my stump speaches and might be anticipating that they'll be marginalized due to hardware constraints, I encourage you to make do with the best you have or can get. If you eventually find the cash to spring for better controllers, I think you'll find the experience to open up and become even more enjoyable (something you never dreamed possible just being among TG'ers... right?... right? :row__642: ).

Comment

Mirfee - In the UK they have a touring car championship that is very popular. As the cars used are sooped up standard roadcars this allows for two sorts of entrants, the professionals who are car manufacturers with their own engineers hiring professional drivers, and the amateurs, who are rich bastards who buy cars and tune them up and race them themselves for fun. All cars race at the same time, and score points from the same league. However when it comes to the championship the table is separate.

If it is found out that 'wheel' racers are at a significant advantage over those without a wheel and they really really wanted to be a part of the league system then maybe have a separate league table for them.

So, say:

Race 1:
                  Turbo (P) - 6pts
                  RocketPunch (P) - 5pts
                  Mirfee (P) - 4pts
                  Munchkin (A) - 3pts
                  WhiskeySix (A) - 2pts
                  Wulfyn (A) - 1pt

Race 2:
                  Mirfee (P) - 6pts
                  Turbo (P) - 5pts
                  Munchkin (A) - 4pts
                  RocketPunch (P) - 3pts
                  WhiskeySix (A) - 2pts
                  Wulfyn (A) - 1pt

Then the tables are:

Professional-
                  Turbo - 11pts
                  Mirfee - 10pts
                  Rocket Punch - 8pts

Amateur-
                  Munchkin - 7pts
                  WhiskeySix - 4pts
                  Wulfyn - 2pts

again not trying to complicate things, as again I'm just in it to beat my old buddies, but it could be a way of encouraging us all to race together, but still giving the guys that cannot be as 'sim' as the rest of us a championship if the difference were, say, a couple seconds a lap.

Comment

I like your suggestion Wulfyn. Mixed 'class' racing goes on here too. In fact, I've seen a scoring system that accounts for winning within class, and winning overall. Anyway, just nodding in agreement.

Let's keep that in mind when we start seeing performance ranges with new arrivals.

Good idear!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X