First Steering Wheel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Steering Wheel

I've bought joysticks before, but not a gaming steering wheel. The Momo seems like a pretty good package for the money. For the folks who have it, are you happy with it? Has it held up pretty well to the rigors of sim racing? Would you rather have purchased something else?

Thanks for any info and feedback.

Re: First Steering Wheel

MOMO = teh roXorz. :D

Seriously, I love mine. No complaints whatsoever. Excellent performance, excellent build quality, excellent durability (during the 1 year of use I've put on it).

The only reason I'd move on from it is to get the $300 G25. But that's a whole other class of wheel, and not a reflection on the MOMO.

Comment

MOMO all the way. I love it, I bought a brand new one for $100 just because I wanted a new one and it is really impressive.

Comment

I've got one too. It's great!
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I am using the Driving Force Pro for GT4.

Source: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=7226
          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

I replaced a MOMO Racing with a Driving Force Pro. I actually like it much better. The pedals are a BIG improvement, although look basically the same. The force feedback is noticeably improved. The ability to have up to 900 degrees of rotation is nice, although I usually set it to 360. This is fully adjustable in the control panel from 40 degrees to 900. The optical sensor for the DFP's steering axis features MUCH higher resolution than the one for the MOMO Racing, meaning the DFP will report more subtle changes than the MOMO will. And the DFP features a ball-bearing steering shaft, which won't wear out as quickly and is a bit smoother - the MOMO developed a good bit of slop / play in this area after a year. The front of the wheel definitely gives away it's PS2 origins, but having more buttons to program means less hunting for a key on the keyboard.

The MOMO does have nicer paddle shifters, a nicer stick shift, a better clamping system, and looks better. The wheel rim is thicker and feels better, but I didn't like the angle of the wheel vs. my previous Microsoft FF wheel, or the DFP.

The biggest problem with my MOMO was that the pedals were absolute crap. I took mine apart to fix some issues, and was appallled at the build quality. The big problem is the potentiometers - they aren't actually mounted to anything other than the pedal axes, merely resting in a slot in the base of the unit. What happens is they'll move out of alignment over time, and it throws the calibration all out of whack. It was fairly common to be in the middle of a race and end up with only 80% throttle. The dual spring system on the brake pedal also led to the brake not really feeling progressive. I was able to wire my old Microsoft pedals to the harness and they worked FAR better.

The DFP uses pedals that look basically the same, but they used better quality pots and mounted them this time around. The pedal feel is much improved to me as well. The DFP used to be about $50 more than the MOMO, but now can be had for the same price or less. After owning both, I'd definitely recommend the DFP.
            BF2 POE2: NC_Tarheel
            Team Fortress 2: |TG| Tarheel

Comment

Great information, all. Thanks very much!

Comment

Wow, NCMan. That's a very thorough review. While I'm a little disappointed to hear that the MOMO is (or might be) prone to the symptoms you describe, I appreciate the info. It's good to see some feedback that balances the generally good (though considerably less measured) reviews of it's fans here.

Comment

So that logitech wheel works for PC too, huh? All sources seemed to indicate it was a PS2-only job.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                    So that logitech wheel works for PC too, huh? All sources seemed to indicate it was a PS2-only job.
                    Logitech had a line of wheel for PC's and a line for consoles. The PS2 ones are really the same as PC's as they are USB.

The 2 wheels I had were all bought for GT3 and GT4 for PS2, and they all worked fine with PC. Usually the ones that are specifically for PC will come with a PC profiler software, but you can just download those form their website: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/do...contentid=6203

Thats how I got my PS2 wheels to work properly on the PC. The MOMO wheel is made specifically for PC.

Comment

interesting... does GTL support the 900* rotation?

Comment

Yeah, but I didn't set it to 900 as it is unrealistic for a fully preped race car to have such a "stock" steering input like that. Unlike GT4 or Enthusia, none of the cars in GTL and GTR2 are anywhere near stock.

The way I set it, is to match my wheel setting to the cockpit steering animation, which is around 240 degree.

Comment

hmmm... what's the difference between the DFP you're talking about and this:
                          http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail.aspx?dpno=476280

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                            hmmm... what's the difference between the DFP you're talking about and this:
                            http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail.aspx?dpno=476280
                            That site's description is wrong, that description is for the DFP....Beware of sites like these and make sure the part number that they are advertising matches with the factory part number of that particular model.

Go to the source: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9219

Logitech® NASCAR® Racing Wheel:
                            A) Paddle shift only (not that it is a problem)
                            B) Suction Cups!? <--- BAD
                            C) Vibration Feedback =/= Force Feedback (Huge difference, they are not even the same thing)
                            D) It is NOT 900 degree.

If you want a good and cheap "force feedback" wheel, get this:
                            http://www.compuvisor.com/lofofogpfewh.html

Comment

I really don't like the MOMO's pedals - I feel like I should have some feedback or something. Any good alternatives out there? Is there a FF for pedals?
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X