Thinking of giving this a try.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of giving this a try.

As the title says, I'm thinking of giving this a shot, but I have a couple of questions.

What's the learning curve on this. By that, I don't mean how long until I can win (never), but rather how long until I can keep the car on the track and be somewhat competitive. I know it varies from player to player, but some ballparks based on your experiences would help.

The last racing sim I played with was F1 Challenge and frankly keeping those things on the road at a decent pace without driving aids was a bear (and I even have a wheel). I can't even tell you how many times a bad shift and too much gas put me into the wall.

Has anyone had any issues with Starforce. I know they put out a patch, but I just reformatted and don't want to go through this again.

I know I meet the minimum system requirements, but was wondering if my system will run it well enough to enjoy in an MP environment. I have an AMD A64 3700 and X850XT.

Finally, when the TG server is up, do we get to it through the lobby or is there some other way we connect?

Thanks in advance.

KZ17
    [combat]

Re: Thinking of giving this a try.

Originally posted by KestrelZ17 View Post
    What's the learning curve on this. By that, I don't mean how long until I can win (never), but rather how long until I can keep the car on the track and be somewhat competitive. I know it varies from player to player, but some ballparks based on your experiences would help.
    I picked it up pretty fast because I have been playing racing games for many years. If you are new you are probably looking at about a week or two before you are going to feel really comfortable and confident.

The last racing sim I played with was F1 Challenge and frankly keeping those things on the road at a decent pace without driving aids was a bear (and I even have a wheel). I can't even tell you how many times a bad shift and too much gas put me into the wall.
    These are a lot easier to keep on the road. They actually feel like real cars not the new age race cars. If you have a wheel you will be fine after you get use to the car you are going to use for the race.

Has anyone had any issues with Starforce. I know they put out a patch, but I just reformatted and don't want to go through this again..
    Never had a problem with it. I know GTL uses it but GTR2 doesn't.

I know I meet the minimum system requirements, but was wondering if my system will run it well enough to enjoy in an MP environment. I have an AMD A64 3700 and X850XT.
    I know their is a demo for GTR2 not sure if their is one for GTL, but I beleive their is.

Finally, when the TG server is up, do we get to it through the lobby or is there some other way we connect?
    You connect through a lobby, we are a private sure so you use a password.

Comment

Hi Kestrel, glad to see you're interested!

Learning curve is... well... that's something I really don't know how to answer. I played exclusively on the middle difficulty level until the League got properly underway, at which point the highest (Professional level) kicked in. The jump from mid to high wasn't too bad, I felt. I never played F1 challenge, so I can't compare. But I think that joining up and playing with all of us will prove very helpful to sim racing overall. There's a good range of talent here, with some players showing considerable experience and knowledge. I count myself behind the curve, rather than atop it, so I feel I'm learning a great deal just by being around them... observing, listening, and patiently working my way up against myself first. I have no illusions about being a fearsome competitor against our top drivers, but I do feel that I'm able to participate and race along with them and have a blast doing it. :icon20:

As for Starforce... no issues that I'm aware of.

Your specs looks quite capable of keeping up. You'll want to optimize your graphics and such offline to be sure you've got good framerates. Best test is to fill a track with a dozen AI cars and see how your PC handles everything. Online should be improved over offline simply because your computer won't have to process all the AI opponents/physics, just your car's physics (plus rendering other players' cars, but that's strictly graphics).

Joining is straightforward. The server is listed in the lobby. Just Join and enter the PW when asked, and you're all set. You'll be prompted to pick your car before you enter the server completely.

Any more questions, or you want anything better explained, please fire away.

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers. :row__631:

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll grab it and give it a whirl at some point in the near future. Thanks again.

KZ17
        [combat]

Comment

I played Grand PRix 2 (then 3 and 4) from 1994 to 2001 but haven't really done any sim racing since then. I have only played GTL on professional with no aides (other than semi-auto gearing). The cars feel very different of course, but they feel as they should do, and within an hour I was lapping consistently.

The real learning curve comes with learning the tracks, as the actual driving feels so smooth and real you don't really notice it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X