No announcement yet.

Donington Park National Practice Times?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donington Park National Practice Times?

I have been running consistant 1:23's. What kind of times are you guys getting?

Re: Donington Park National Practice Times?

Haven't loaded up to practice yet. I'll post as soon as I have something.

I'd be interested in hearing what cars people are using to get their times.

Comment

Didn't get a chance to practice yet, yikes. I have a little in house BF2 scrim tomorrow and I have an exam next week. Posting time should be nice as I will have something to aim for.
      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Ya I have a test next week and a project due Monday, hopefully I can get some practice time in Friday night. I ran for about 30 minutes trying different cars. I think I might use a muscle car instead of my beloved Lotus for this first one, they seem faster on this track. But they do leave a lot of room for error.

Comment

1:24.67, best in the GT40 out of the ~10-12 laps I just tested.

The AI ran the same setup at 1:19.??

Got impatient after trying other cars, including 26R and TVR.

This looks to be a horsepower track though... and the brakes to bring it back down.

Comment

the TVR is a bear to use, gotta have a feather foot.

- -

Comment

Ya 1:19 is about impossible, it would be to hard to do every lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                the TVR is a bear to use, gotta have a feather foot.
                lol, You haven't try the Cobra I taken ;). I just did a few quick laps and my fastest was a 1m20.7s, I think I pretty much nail the set-up for it, may be some more fine tuning.

Replay DL: http://www.tacticalsites.com/~rocket...et-DPN-HOT.Vcr

Comment

After a few laps i posted a 1:33 lap time, that had a few meetings with the lawn in it though and almost spinning out lol.

Hopefully be able to get this track down well enough for saturday.

- -

Comment

Just posted a 1:22.3..

Still in the GT40, minor tweaking helps with feel, but doesn't add noticable performance. Improved confidence in the car, added to more dedicated practice is starting to pay off.

Don't know how I'll ever drop to Rocket's time though.

Ran 1:23's in a 10 lap race vs AI. Had the fastest time against them by .5 sec. Would have held on to first for the last half of the race if the Elan hadn't tapped me into an overshoot on one turn. Dropped to last, came back and would have taken the Elan if I had 'just one more lap.' Wasn't to be.

Feel pretty good posting dominating times and gaining positions vs. AI in Pro. Almost feels like whooping their butts in Amateur now. They're not so tough after facing you guys. ;)

Comment

I got a 1:21.5 last night, I think I could get a faster time but it wouldn't be to safe. :) I see some spins in my future, it is pretty hard to keep it on the road and stay really fast.

Comment

See the map for reference (disregard the little section at the bottom of the map for the national track config)

For myself, I find Red Gate and Coppice to be a problem area; Especially Coppice, since you are going up hill and can't see the apex very well, plus the long curve right after that corner is very bumpy but at the same time you want to put the the power down as soon as possible for the straight. Red Gate is another one as it really is much tighter than it looks from the car.

Comment

nice map there rocket.

The coppice turn is difficult because it forces all the weight of the car to the back which gives you a lot more traction than you are usually expecting causing you to spin. I find Mclean can sneak up on you too if you're not careful of you're speed.

- -

Comment

Aside from the already pointed out problem areas (and I agree)... In a high HP car, say, the GT40, there's a twitchy surprise after the exit from Coppice - the sharp, short rise just under the overpass as the car is under max acceleration for the long straight.

That sucker is ramped just enough to unweight a car (especially a light one like the GT), breaking the rear traction at max rpm. If leaving the pedal floored, the wheels completely lose traction and you smoke them big time. If you're going dead straight, there's little worry of getting unstable, but you could overrev the engine and blow it (rare). Worse, if you're putting on an early pass and are the least bit turned, or under lateral weight shift... well... there's a razor thin line between keeping it together or wiping out.

I've actually set up my gearing so it's timed perfectly for my 4-to-5 shift point to coincide right on the unweight point. When I lift on the gas (modelled automatically for everyone using auto clutch) on the upshift, that's just enough time to keep the wheels glued. Sometimes there's just the tiniest puff of smoke, but the 0 torque at that exact unweighting moment, and then the reapplication of throttle in the next gear keeps max power on the car without courting the aforementioned rear lift.

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem in a big engined ride.

Comment

I hit the dip going as fast as I can. The cobra smokes a little bit but it is pretty controllable.

I run into the problem down at Old Hairpin, I sometimes can't get the car lined up right to enter the corner and come out going fast.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X