No announcement yet.

So what racers do you guys play mostly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what racers do you guys play mostly?

Just wondering what you guys race the most... Got me a race chair
    http://www.gogamer.com/Playseats-Evo...VVviewprod.htm

Mostly for my wireless Xbox 360 wheel and pedals, which on Feb 6th will be supported in WinXP/Vista with a new adapter, but since I paid all that money for a racing wheel and seat, figured I'd play more racing games to get my moneys worth.

Whats the best, most realistic, simulation type PC racer?
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: So what racers do you guys play mostly?

Hey Mag...

I think it depends on what type of cars you want to drive...Right now I'm really into rFactor. It comes with both open wheel and tin-top cars. However, the tin-top cars are fantasy cars....they couldn't get the rights to the real cars I believe. But, there are numerous GREAT mods available right now. I'm starting to get into the Aussie V8's...great big loud monsters to drive. I also really enjoy the open wheel rF3 cars. Those cars are based on Formula 3 open wheel cars. Great fun. Also, I know over at SimHQ they are running leagues with rFactor.

I know most of the guys here have GTL (sports cars from long ago..hehe), and it's a blast to drive as well...also very realistic from what I know about those cars.

I know Mirfee is getting into GTR2, but I don't have that one so I can't really comment on it.

IMHO, take your pick from rFactor, GTL, or GTR2..All 3 are pretty realistic and well respected. A darkhorse sim might be RACE...a Touring Car sim. There is a review at SimHQ on the front page now I believe.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

Chappie

Comment

Just echoing what Chappie said.

GT Legends (GTL) is Touring and Grand Touring cars from the 60's and 70's (though, in modern FIA Historic TC-GTC racing). This is the officially supported game at TG... as in we've got a TG server for it. ;)

GTR2 is modern FIA GT racing (albeit, the 2003 and 2004 season). It's by the same folks as GTL, and runs on the same engine for the most part as GTL. It has a few extra bells and whistles, namely racing in the rain, but apart from that, it's nearly identical.

rFactor also runs on more or less the same engine as GTL and GTR2, although it's a totally separate publisher. So all three titles have a great deal of similarity in terms of physics, car setup customization, etc. Even tracks are largely easy to convert from one title to the other. The key point about rF is that it's mostly a toolkit game. It ships with fantasy tracks and cars, and a fully functioning engine, interface, etc. The bulk of the content is from the mod community. A cool concept, but it does make for a lot of work to get everything complete. And there's some real hit and miss in quality. I find that even the best user made stuff tends to fall a little short of the pro dev stuff.

Personally, I'm a GT car type guy, so I'm all about GTL and GTR2 for that. The open wheel stuff is done well (nice 2005 F1 mod out, as well as the fantasy trainers et al), but I don't really do open wheel much. I'm going to give the Aussie V8's a try, but I expect I'll keep the majority of my interst in GTL and GTR2, in that order. I really love those classics! :) The modern GT's (with all their high tech downforce bits and all) feel a bit more like spaceships, but they're still my second most enjoyed racing.

Anyway... whew! Bit more than I expected to write at first.

Comment

One quick point about rFactor and it's mods...like Mirfee said quite a few of the mods aren't up to snuff...but the ones that are are really fantastic!!! The Aussie V8mod is really great, as is the F1 mod, Megane mod (small modern sports cars, one make), and the 79' F1 mod is really well done too. I'm also going to try out a Formula BMW mod later this weekend (another open wheel series)

Good luck,

Chappie

Comment

Ok, I'm a convert. The V8 Factor (Aussie V8 Supercar mod) is outstanding. Guess I'm going to be spreading my time even thinner now. ;)

Comment

And the '79 F1 is equally fine. I'm finding my opinion of the mod content to be much improved!

Comment

thats cool man!
              Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Hey Mirfee,

Both of those series are great....I had to pull out of the race Saturday night...didn't want to make a fool of myself quite yet!!!

You might also try the default rF3 cars....faster than the other basic open wheelers...but not insane like the F1's..

later,

Chappie

Comment

Holy smoke! The ETCC mod is incredible too. Basically the precursor to WTCC, which is the subject of the new RACE game.

I'm ashamed to say that I was so doubtful of rFactor's mod potential and accomplishments before. Real gold in this game!

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                    Just wondering what you guys race the most... Got me a race chair
                    http://www.gogamer.com/Playseats-Evo...VVviewprod.htm

Mostly for my wireless Xbox 360 wheel and pedals, which on Feb 6th will be supported in WinXP/Vista with a new adapter, but since I paid all that money for a racing wheel and seat, figured I'd play more racing games to get my moneys worth.

Whats the best, most realistic, simulation type PC racer?
                    Where are you getting all that money magnum? Seriously!
                    -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X