Racing ahead at TG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing ahead at TG

Well, it looks like GT Legends has lost its luster. Despite some initial interest from several people, only a couple have made it for the recent fun runs. While I don't want to shelve GTL, I don't see it bouncing back into popularity at TG anytime soon.

So. What future does racing at TG have? Well... I'll tell 'ya!

We now have an rFactor server! Yes, you heard right. Since GTL is so challenging to fill, I've gone ahead (with Apophis' blessing) to *expand* into a different sim.

This came about because in my off time from TGRL, I fell in with a bunch of rFactor junkies. No... I don't mean Race 2 Play. I mean the League of Perpetual Novices (LoPeN). They're a bunch of fun run racers who have a TG attitude to racing sims. To quote their Yahoo group main page...

This league is for racers who may not feel comfortable anywhere else.
    - Its for the Slow, the Backmarkers, the Downtrodden, the Beginner... anyone who likes GPL and rFactor but can only find the time to practice just before a race and is incorrigibly slow.
    - Its for those who want to bring the FUN back to SIM Racing!
    - Its completely recreational!
    - No points will ever be awarded.
    So... what does this have to do with TG? Glad you asked. LoPeN has been struggling with a home server on a residential connection. It's been limiting, to say the least. So, I figured, why not invite these guys to come race on a smokin' TG server? Kill 2 birds with one stone. Bring a bunch of good sports to a TG server every Wed night, and hopefully encourage some TGers to get rFactor and join the fun.

TGRL always struggled with filling a GT Legends grid decently. So, by inviting a dozen or so good guys over to our house, hopefully we can see racing at TG grow again. If rFactor grows among TGers, then between the LoPeN guys and TG, we might be able to reignite interest in GT Legends. Perhaps even GTR2 and more if all goes well.

Anyway. I invite anyone and everyone to check out rFactor if you haven't done so already. rF is a sandbox sim. It runs on the same basic engine as GTL and GTR2, so content is often converted between sims. rF has it all, too. If it's got 4 wheels and goes fast, its been modded for rF, or is in the works. Open wheelers (modern, recent, and historic); tin tops (touring, GT, street, prototypes); trucks, off roading, rallying, karts... even lawnmowers! Check out rFactor Central (RFC) to see all the content available.

Get the whole scoop on rF here. Then download the full demo here. It's the full game, just locked in demo mode. Content is limited, and you have to purchase a license to unlock the full game and use all the addons.

If/when you've got the full version, come join us for racing on Wed nights at 9pm ET. Server info will be posted in a sticky thread.

For the server's stress test last week, we ran the last of the Mini (Cooper) Challenge races. The server was flawless, with low pings across the board (everything you'd expect from a TG server). We even now added AI cars to the grid to fill the track up a bit more... something we can't do in GTL or GTR2. And there was no performance hit on the server, the connection, or any client machines.

The only loose end is to get the LoPeN guys migrated over to TG Teamspeak. Since we have that whole forum/server registration process here, it might take a little while to get everyone on the same TS together. But rest assured, I want to bring everyone together for racing at TG. It's the only gaming I do anymore, and it's unbeatable when you get a big crowd of drivers together, competing at different skill levels, and having a helluva fun time doing it.
    Last edited by Mirfee; 01-01-2008, 09:37 AM.

Re: Racing ahead at TG

It's great to see this effort underway, Mirfee. It sounds like a lot of fun, and I hope to join in now that I've got some more free time. Thanks for getting this going!

Comment

I've never tried rFactor before. It seems like there is so much to it. I'm downloading the demo. If I decide to buy, could you guys help me figure out how to mod it, and what mods are worth getting? I can't seem to find a "rFactor for noobies" webpage anywhere!

Edit - Yikes, you're doing Nurburgring for the first 5 weeks!! In my own, personal opinion, I don't think that's the best track to use if you want to gain a new following for TGRL. Maybe I'm by myself here, but it's an extremely difficult course that is neigh impossible to learn without hours of practice and repetition. Wouldn't Mid-Ohio or Laguna Seca, or another more approachable course be better to kick things off? Again, just my humble opinion. Seeing that the first 5 weeks is on Nurburgring sort of deflated my desire to participate.
      Last edited by Evo<^|SiNz|^>; 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM.
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Cool!!! I've been dying to race on that big beautiful track...and in a bimmer too! dl'ing now.

Originally posted by Mirfee
        - Its for the Slow, the Backmarkers, the Downtrodden, the Beginner... anyone who likes GPL and rFactor but can only find the time to practice just before a race and is incorrigibly slow.
        lol, that's me!

edit:
        when is Week 1, this week?
        New to TG?

Comment

Evo... the schedule isn't geared directly at TG. This is the LoPeN schedule which is being brought over to the new server. I appreciate that this is an intimidating track, and certainly not well suited to new drivers. I myself do not know this track well, but that's sort of the point of running it for 5 weeks. Normally it would be one car/class for 5 weeks, switching the trackes from week to week. Due to the challenge of the Nord (and the sheer splendor of this track), it was thought to invert the usual and run it continuously, while switching the cars from week to week.

I'm sure we'll be reverting to the regular format after this series concludes.

And yes, I'll be happy to guide folks through the mods. I'll be putting a sticky thread up for the relevant downloads.

Please note... for the full version, don't upgrade beyond 1.250. The recent 2 patches are questionable and switching now invokes a series of headaches. I'll post this info in the server thread.

Squid... yep, Week 1 is this week. I would have announced all this sooner, but things came together very quickly.

Comment

Ah, I see. And it does seem logical that you'd want to run it for 5 weeks in order to learn it. I guess I need to learn that course eventually anyway! I avoid it like the plague in GT4 (B-Spec mode while I'm cooking dinner is my savior there).
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

This was a fun run, thanks to Mirfee for setting it up. The LoPeN guys are a fun bunch. Good drivers, but not too serious about it. I got spanked but had a blast. It'd be great to have more TG folks join next week.
              New to TG?

Comment

Nurburgring GP? Or the Nordschleife?

Comment

Here

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse