Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start?

Hi all,
    I am normally an ARMA/II player and saw this section and was curious. I downloaded the GTR:EVO demo and well, I can barley move! I figured out how to shift but I dont know where to go from there.
    Anyone have any tips on how to start from absolute 0? The only other 'racing' game I have is Burnout: Paradise, but that is arcade.

-|TG-Irr|Ghost02
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Re: How to start?

I don't have Evo, but it should be like most other sims. First thing would be to configure the controls in the options.

Comment

Done. I tried the demo for GTR:2. Whenever I shift down for a turn my engine catches on fire!
      |TG|Ghost02
      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

What is your controller?

Comment

A joystick, and its gonna stay that way for a long time. Logitech Extreme 3d PRO.
          |TG|Ghost02
          TG Pathfinder

Comment

All I can think is that you need to map the right controls, but I assume you've already done that.

As for blowing the motor on downshifts, it seems that you're downshifting with the car speed much too high, and that's over revving the motor. Check the difficulty level. Almost anything above Easy, Rookie, whatever they call it will model increasing degrees of mechanical damage like I described.

Regardless, get the car slowed down a bit so you can make a safe downshift. Braking is as important to going fast as throttle is. :icon_cool

Comment

Ok, I practised agian and I am having such a hard time! When I turn, I turn out of control, I cant keep up with the cars infront of me.
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

Comment

What difficulty level are you driving at? Remember, this is a *sim*, not an arcade game. You have to employ sound technique in order to stay within the real world physics limits.

To that end, you'll also likely find that driving with a joystick is going to hurt your efforts to be precise while climbing the learning curve. Not trying to talk you into buying new hardware, but you should take into account the added challenge of a less than ideal controller.

Lower the difficulty to rookie, or arcade, or whatever and work your way up gradually as your skill increases.

Comment

I'm at the lowest... and I still burn out and crash into a wall! Is there any step by step?
                  |TG|Ghost02
                  TG Pathfinder

Comment

Hmmm. Again, I don't have GTR Evo, so I don't know what training features it might have. Wish I could help you further.

Comment

I am playing using GTR2 now. I went through Driver Training and I think I am getting better. Playing on the arcade settings is still a challenge!
                      |TG|Ghost02
                      TG Pathfinder

Comment

If you ever get serious, invest in a racing wheel. It's the only way to progress up the skill levels into the full-on simulation with all the driving aids turned off.

It's a cool hobby. Here's a video I made just fooling around:
                        [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3W-Rlmqe08[/media]

Comment

Its exciting, I am just learning to drive in real life [20 hrs so far] so this is a fun way to go full on.
                          |TG|Ghost02
                          TG Pathfinder

Comment

20hrs real world driving? With arcade racing as your primary experience? The picture becomes a whole lot clearer to me know. You've got a learning curve ahead of you for sure, but it's not insurmountable. Just accept the fact that there's a lot to learn.

Comment

Heh, yes it is gonna be difficult. I'm getting better though, just gotta learn touch and feel.
                              |TG|Ghost02
                              TG Pathfinder

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X