To race, or not to race.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To race, or not to race.

Simply enough, I have been hooked once again into the racing genre after recently picking up GRID for $6.00. While hopping back and forth between BC2, I am also looking for another more simulation-grade racing game to play as well. I have looked at games such as rFactor and GTR Evo, and I currently own GTR2 but it seems that GTR2 has a dismal at best playerbase, and I was wondering if there was any one main racing game out there that is still going strong. If not, I can simply retreat to the arcade worlds of DiRT2 and GRID, but I would like to know if it is worth it to branch out at the moment.

Former TG-21st
    Swift Mobile On Target

Re: To race, or not to race.

There's no one single sim on top of the heap. It's a question of community (I used to run the racing league here at TG, but it was difficult to get many drivers). The public player base probably is as poor for GTR2 as you mention (pubby racing is a disaster no matter what sim you drive). Your best bet is getting involved in a community somewhere that already has a large base. I personally belong to Race To Play, though I'm not very active in the non-winter months. All major sims are supported (GTR2, rFactor, the Race series, NetKar Pro. Also running many quality mods to further expand the racing options). Similar to TG in allowing free membership, as well as varying subscription levels for additional benefits.

Separately, there's iRacing, which is strictly a subscription based sim. Rather expensive compared to other sims/communities, but it is developed with real world race series, engineers, tracks, etc. Arguably the most accurate tracks ever (all laser scanned at the actual facilities), and car physics at or near the top (some say NetKar has the best, and I slightly agree).

Comment

I race over at Race Department and they have a similar setup to RTP so you get a good mixture of race nights and league for most sims. It is definately worth joining a community as you can find a good race at any time.

I would recommend rFactor or the Race series myself as they seem to be the most popular sims and have the most mods available.

Comment

I recommend rFactor myself. I know SimHq has a monthly endurance event using the ILMS mod.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Yawn, with an update. Still checking around at communities, I personally am liking RD the best at the moment however some of the pissy moderators and admins are having issues with my application in not believing my real name.

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

what do you mean?? i know that i am looking to get into a racing sim. back in the day when i had an xbox, i played forza all the time and feel in love with it.

with this rFactor thing.... is that a free download or is it part of some game that i have to buy. second of all it seems that there is a little interest here. why dont we get the GO and try and find a game that we all would like to play or start looking for one that is being developed to start a watch thread on. remember, the nascar drvier, kyle busch learned to drive nascar on a video game!!!

again i would love to getinto racing on the PC, just would like my TG home to play on!!! :) just my thoughs

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

rFactor is a highly realistic racing simulation - http://rfactor.net/ It has some AMAZING mods, like the International LeMans Series, which represents the LP1, LP2, GT1, and GT2 classes of cars. The community I follow but have not yet joined due to lack of time is SimHQ.com - they run monthly endurance races.

Video from the last race:

Video from their fast lap series: http://www.youtube.com/user/SimHQcom#p/u/3/x3c0svKsoGE

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Napoleon View Post
                Yawn, with an update. Still checking around at communities, I personally am liking RD the best at the moment however some of the pissy moderators and admins are having issues with my application in not believing my real name.
                Ian MacLeod right? Did you PM Dave Buxton about it?

Comment

Originally posted by andretmzt View Post
                  Ian MacLeod right? Did you PM Dave Buxton about it?
                  Check inbox.

Former TG-21st
                  Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

WOW rfactor looks awesome i always thought it was a sim without licensed cars but it seems i was wrong. That ILMS mod looks amazing

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X