Talk me into it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me into it

I only played 40minutes or so of the beta and was pretty underwhelmed. At this point I'm leaning towards not getting it, but what do you guys think? I know it's just out, but have you been having those TG moments yet?

I did get a squad of randoms to follow me as SL today, It wasn't a TG moment but it came pretty close. BF1 is a good game but it's kinda arcady out of the box. There is potential and they try to reward playing the objective. I think it gets better and better, especially when you start learning the maps, which offer lots of room for maneuvers.
    sigpic

Comment

Admit I'm on the fence and haven't hit the buy now button either as I just don't have time for all the games I have now but you know I'll get behind anything TG really gets behind (at least for a while).
      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Welp people I will try to talk you in. I've been around for the beta and as most of you I was 'skeptical' however the game is still, and feels like battlefield. No complaints there.

Weapons: (like all battlefields) needs balancing, some people would say its all fine some people agree however no game has that PERFECT balance until late game after all that tweaking... I mean look at recent titles. BF3 with the SKS/M16 and BF4 with the ACE/AWS, BF1 currently is littered with Scouts (recons) because of the 1/2 hit weapons however it is rather simple to play against them and I mean really easy. HOWEVER i think they are trollin' with the weapons, the Rank 10 Medic gun has 5 rounds per reload but at any range, it takes any medic weapon min 3 hits to drop someone... every other weapon has 10~26 rounds so... not sure WHAT they are thinking

Vehicle combat: Balanced, you have limited armor per side unlike BF4's unnecessarily large amount of armor, i mean i thought 3-4 takes was ridiculous! But people played. In BF1 the armor is classed out with 3 options per spawn, so tanks can either go solo or have a crew. Tanks are STRONG like they should be when it comes to firepower. I mean... they are dishing out proper damage, unlike previous titles where they hurt but sometimes not enough. I've gone 52-0 in a Light Tank but thats because i had a squad helping me, as for the biplanes, they also have some pretty good perks with them but as of now they are flying death traps for AA that obliterate them unless you fly fancy, get your hits in and leave. They do good work.

Infantry: This is the core, in my opinion BF1 is BACK to its core roots focusing more on infantry combat then anything else each class has its roles however the medic role has two... which people dont fully notice. Assault is CQ with explosives and AT... Thats it, nothing more, its not ment for long range and has no primarily long range weapons, the shotguns and SMGs are fun and balanced in my opinion. The Support class is the bane of my existence, this is where i would like to see balance because they seem to not dish out damage AT ALL as much but they do have mortars, which are the main damage dealers and are quite annoying however they dont have that bf4 range and you have to be on them and they SUPPORT the tanks by repairing them. No more running around with C4/Dynamite and a endless supply. The Scout is a recon of course, some weapons are with sights, some with scopes and some are ironsighted, they do decent damage acorss all ranges and there semi-auto weapon has about 41~ rounds a mag (its pistol ammo) and it pretty much functions like a SKS if anything, not serious damage at all but after a few shots, people drop, i'd say maybe 6~ shot? Not sure but it shoots pretty fast. Lastly medic, i say it has multiple roles for a reason, this class has the medkit and the syringe to revive but also Rifle grenades, that i am okay with, for some off reason... they arent abundant nor super strong but the the medic also has marksmen styled rifles, some with bipods/sights on them and no matter what medic gun you use, its only 3~ shots to drop someone oddly enough scouts take residence over them because everyone wants to be that one sniper, but they are in my opinion the top class.

Shooting: I'll finish with this, shooting in this game is NOTHING like previous titles, you may aim your weapon and shoot, but you will not always nail that shot, there is alot more time taken into shooting, bipods are not lasers anymore, LMGs need to shoot more to gain accuracy (2142 pretty much...) but overheat if not shot in proper burst, weapons have specific reloads that if timed incorrectly may take toooo long and throw you under, pistols are not as effective as they were in previous titles when it comes to reliability, control, or accuracy

OVERALL
        I say its worth it, theres alot I wish it had such as a commander that called in combat artys like we all missed and been begging for since bf2 ended and for some reason they wont add it.... but hopefully we can have our own server but the game was seriously fun the other night when we had two TG squads on one team both full of people in TS as well and we played a few maps, was great!
        Please Be Warned...
        If you see me... Im never alone....
        My Soldiers Follow and are Loyal.... Problem is... you can't see me....

Comment

A couple single-player things first. Not that anyone buys it for SP anyway, but it's terrible. There are two good sequences - the first mission and the no-man's land mission. AI terrible. Heavily scripted. FOV locked. Stories cheesy (there are 6 of them). In every mission you're a CoD-style superhero, even on Hard it is stupidly easy. You only play as the Entente. The Central Powers they make out to be evil, usually gasmask-wearing cronies that you kill in droves. Yeah, no Germany, no Austria, no Ottomans, no Russians, not even any French! Literally the top 4 countries by casualty number are not included. Out of the top 11, you play as 2 - the British and Italians.

Multiplayer is like it was made by a completely different team. It's good. There's better story and more emotion in the intros to the Operations mode games than in all the campaign. Operations is quite good actually. Attack-defend missions linked together. If the attacker loses 150 soldiers, they lose one of 3 battalions, then attempt to finish the map (they keep their progress) with the support of a dreadnought/zeppelin/armored train. It feels the most like a real frontline battle.

Authenticity... decent? Yeah, there's far too many advanced weapons and not enough bolt-action rifles, but they are still prevalent, and combined with the medic's semi autos, rifles are the most prevalent weapons on the battlefield. Pistols are effective weapons, not steps down from your primary in a lot of situations. With the overall decreased lethality of weapons, melee plays a much bigger part in combat, and it's appreciably brutal. The bayonet charge is intense and useful. The battlefields feel plausible, although they focus on more dynamic theaters or the breakthrough stages of battles. Not as many trenches as one would hope to see, but they become a suitable hellscape over longer battles. Shattered buildings, gas, fire, and shell holes (yes, you can create cover for your squad by blowing a hole in the ground).

E_Leader nails the kits and balance pretty well, although I for one am glad that most of the top-tier weapons that would take a couple of weeks to unlock all seem to be sidegrade/downgrade/flavor items. All classes start with weapons that are highly effective, and within two or three levels most 'sidegrade' weapons are unlocked. I've had better luck with the Support class than E_, but it is a stationary, prolonged battle class. They have fully automatic weapons but can be effective at longer ranges as well, so you can understand the difficulty in balancing such weapons. They have done so with poor on-the-move accuracy multiplied with poor initial accuracy (increasing while fired). While they can get kills running-and-gunning, that playstyle works 100% contrary to their strengths. Find a position and let the enemy walk into a kill-zone, or suppress them. The largest magazines in the game and the increasing accuracy encourage you to keep the enemy pinned down behind cover. With some coordination you could keep a large number of enemies pinned behind a chokepoint while friendlies move up to grenade.

On thing that struck me (E_Leader touches on this as well) is that moving while firing throws you off a lot. Firing semi-autos too fast throws you off a lot. Even stationary, the medic's semi won't be counter-sniping. The SMGs lose effectiveness rapidly with range. Overall, effective shooting takes more thought and time than it did in BF3 (can't speak to 4 as I didn't get it).

The short range of the mortars makes them quite nice and balanced on the more open maps, IMO, but choked design on some maps can make them extremely high-reward for little skill or effort.

Overall there are things I'd change (there always are), but I'd call it the best Battlefield since 2. (sadly missed the Bad Company train) With a little slower movement speed, a little more open maps, and a little more suppression effect, I think it could be truly incredible.
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Note on the support class and chokepoints. Use the gas grenades. Toss them far and watch for hit points on the HUD, then you know where the enemy is without them being spotted. Deploy the mortar and start shelling the gassed area. Supply yourself and repeat.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E_Leader View Post
              Vehicle combat: Balanced, you have limited armor per side unlike BF4's unnecessarily large amount of armor, i mean i thought 3-4 takes was ridiculous! But people played. In BF1 the armor is classed out with 3 options per spawn, so tanks can either go solo or have a crew. Tanks are STRONG like they should be when it comes to firepower. I mean... they are dishing out proper damage, unlike previous titles where they hurt but sometimes not enough. I've gone 52-0 in a Light Tank but thats because i had a squad helping me, as for the biplanes, they also have some pretty good perks with them but as of now they are flying death traps for AA that obliterate them unless you fly fancy, get your hits in and leave. They do good work.
              Adding to what E_Leader said.

With regards to tanks. The respawn is back to more of a BF2/2142 rate where losing a tank can really hurt as it takes between 3 and 5 minutes to get it back. Anti vehicle weapons are very effective, but not overly so. Tanks need infantry support. Unlike BF3/4 where a good tanker can roll onto a flag, its suicide without a supporting infantry to back it up. Tanks have limited ammo that takes a fair amount of time to reload/rearm.

Comment

For me purchase would be like Bad Company...no longer installed but when I open Origin I'd be forever reminded of how stupid I was in buying it.

Edith: I have to say if they release mod tools and some good mods are developed I'd reconsider.

Comment

Real fast... I'm enjoying it a lot. The presentation (visual and aural) is amazing, and I truly like the setting but it is missing a bit of the play feel I want, but the potential is totally there. I think when the custom servers come into effect it's going to be right on, things such as FF on are gonna make a big difference.

I can feel confident in recommending the game if you are a fan of the series and are in the mood for a new one.
                  Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

It's good old battlefield fun. I disliked the beta but bought the game anyway ($50 green man gaming) this Sunday. It's been a blast playing. It's far from perfect and too fast paced for my tastes, but it is still a lot of fun to play.

Comment

I hoping/thinking that the custom server settings will slow down the action just a bit. I mean FF on is gonna make a difference for sure.
                      Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Originally posted by ZAP44 View Post
                        For me purchase would be like Bad Company...no longer installed but when I open Origin I'd be forever reminded of how stupid I was in buying it.

Edith: I have to say if they release mod tools and some good mods are developed I'd reconsider.
                        This is way better than BC2, and there will be no mod support, probably ever again.

Comment

Bought the game and like it. When I play with TGers or other “Origin friends”, I definitely get that TG feeling. I really miss FF and would like to have other squads play more cohesively in order to 100% satisfied.

To summarize, the game have great potential. Battlefield Hardline was a 1-2 month game, BF1 is here to stay. Server settings is the KEY though…

I recommend getting it!
                          Proud 5th Alum

/DaVinci_Q

Comment

Love the gaming. The browser sucks, but a dedicated FAVORITE TG server would take car of that. Been having great time , many matches including Gator, Astrocat and Bleedingknee ! Cannot wait until we are over running some of these servers with TG ! Also, been having some old BF2 CLOSE games, 5 to 10 point spread over 100 point game , or 20 points or less over 1000 point games ! WOW ! "See you on the battlefield !"
                            sigpic
                            *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post

This is way better than BC2, and there will be no mod support, probably ever again.
                              Undead, I hate to say it, you can't convert him. It took us until about last year for us to get a mod system for BF3...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X