Gameinformer scans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gameinformer scans

Summary of the GI article: Source | (emphasis mine)
    • Aiming for Q4 2011 release
    • Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
    • Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
    • Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
    • Level destruction is going to be believable but basically everything is destructible.
    • Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
    • AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
    • No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
    • Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
    • Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
    • Plan on better, more immediate post release content
    • More unlocks than BFBC2
    • Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
    • 4 classes
    • Will talk about squads "later"
    • Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
    • Will have co-op
    • There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
    • BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
    • They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
    • Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah -- Iraqi Kurdistan.
    • "****" will be used often, so M rated for sure
    • There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
    • Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
    • More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
    • PC version is lead version
    • Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
    • No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
    • Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

Source:http://www.gamersmint.com/battlefiel...-info-blowout/

A little birdie told me there's something interesting here, but I'm not a 100% certain it's legit to post the content up on TG.

Re: Gameinformer scans

First impressions:
    - No mod tools -- not a big fan of this. A decent amount of BF2's longevity can be attributed to the various mods it spawned.
    - SP focus -- again, BF games have never been about SP. Even BC2's SP felt out of place, and not very good. If this focus ought to be redirected, I'd point it at modding the game.
    - M rated -- not a big fan of this either. I don't mind cussing, but I'm afraid they're trying to cater to an audience that can't find a game enjoyable if there's no cussing.
    - Squads "later"? I sure hope the command structure from BF2/BF2142 stays in place. It would be my #1 disapointment, even above VOIP and a poorly balanced MP, if BF3 did not have a proper chain of command.
    - No mention of VOIP -- I guess that's good? :D

Fingers crossed still. Waiting for Steam limited edition pre-order and the beta invite stemming from MoH purchase.

Comment

I don't think the Commander role is going to be in.

"When I think about battlefield 2, I always come back to the Commander position and the game within the game that arose from having Special Forces objectives. Are those returning in the proper sequel?"

"We could implement it, but the question is "How do you get the threshold lower?" That's not by making it more complicated. Our challenge is to make sure that anyone that just jumps into the game will get it. One of the biggest problems with Commander was that only two people could use it. Some people liked it but most people didn't care. They just cared that someone gave them an order or that their squad could play together having fun on their own more or less. Then the more hardcore people went into the Commander mode and learned how to use that. You could argue it was a great feature, but looking at the numbers you could also say that no one uses it. We tried in Bad Company 2 to give that tot eh players, so you could issue orders to your squad and you could use gadgets like the UAV that only the commander could use earlier - giving the power back to the players so everyone could use it. That made a big difference. More people could enjoy the game. We lowered the threshold for everyone because we gave it to everyone. We now know where the boundaries are for keeping the strategic depth and complexity while lowering the threshold to get in."

Commander mode is dead. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
        First impressions:
        - No mod tools -- not a big fan of this. A decent amount of BF2's longevity can be attributed to the various mods it spawned.
        WOW ..is this an UNDERSTATEMENT.! IS there anyone who plays Vanilla anymore.. I hate when Devs pat themselfs on the back for a long lived game when it was the modding community that kept it on life support. I have no doubt I will pluck down the $$ for admission to this game, based on my experiences is PR ..not Vanilla.. And hope that the DEV"S somehow learned from what maked the modded games so good.
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Mod tools really bother me. I also really REALLY hate the cursing in Bad Co 2 as it feels forced... it really takes away from the game and I do not appreciate it at all. At least give us the option to turn it off.
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

No modding tool doesn't bother me, its really a thing of the past and we'll never see it again (sorry but its true).

I could care less about single player and I hope the cursing isn't as bad as BC2...I am not against the use of cursing in principal but I agree with Mullet that it felt forced in BC2.

Comment

I want a commander! There needs to be some one to oversee the whole battle and direct squads to where to go. In BF2 a good commander = great gameplay. I could care less about manually flying the UAV around (I hate it in BC2, it's like flying a bathtub).

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

My main concern is squad play. I think they have something up their sleeve to enhance squad mechanics but only time will tell if it's as good as or better than the commander.

If they pull it off we won't really miss the commander. They made their case well: barely anybody really wants to play the commander role (or does it well).

Comment

Dice would have to "dumb down" their tools so that the community could use them? That's pretty insulting isn't it? Maybe they've never noticed that most mod communities have created content that far exceeds what the orignal developers could ever accomplish.

Comment

Roll on the beta is what I say

Comment

I wish they would focus less on fancy graphics and focus on the game play itself. I don't care how nice it looks as long as we have a command structure and voip.

Comment

Originally posted by Assault9 View Post
                        Dice would have to "dumb down" their tools so that the community could use them? That's pretty insulting isn't it? Maybe they've never noticed that most mod communities have created content that far exceeds what the orignal developers could ever accomplish.
                        From what I read in the BC2 Modtools thread that a dev posted, they cluster**** their production environment with frostbite 1 and 1.5 (BC2). Which makes it a pain for any new content, for patches/mapfixes, etc.

From what it sounds like, they have to have access to the core assets all the time, and their builder (for some screwed up reason) has to recompile the entire game when they build a map, because the new map has to have access to all current animations, sounds, and meshes in the game, which requires 80+ GB of the raw datas. The dev said build time on a map was 48-72 hours. And it requires having access to Havok engine files, and for some odd reason their builder/compiler pipeline requires them to have a CVS and asset cache server connected. They said even dumbing it down to a simple map editor would take 6-12 month development time because they had to somehow get rid of all that backend because it would still require all that.

The whole production screams "why did you do something so screwed up and make it so hard on yourself" and basically the only viable explanation is "we made the original Frostbite 1.0 engine for console which didn't require extra maps or a lot of patching, so it was a one-time operation, and went pants-on-head retarded trying to squeeze PC functionality in."

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                          From what I read in the BC2 Modtools thread that a dev posted, they cluster**** their production environment with frostbite 1 and 1.5 (BC2). Which makes it a pain for any new content, for patches/mapfixes, etc.

From what it sounds like, they have to have access to the core assets all the time, and their builder (for some screwed up reason) has to recompile the entire game when they build a map, because the new map has to have access to all current animations, sounds, and meshes in the game, which requires 80+ GB of the raw datas. The dev said build time on a map was 48-72 hours. And it requires having access to Havok engine files, and for some odd reason their builder/compiler pipeline requires them to have a CVS and asset cache server connected. They said even dumbing it down to a simple map editor would take 6-12 month development time because they had to somehow get rid of all that backend because it would still require all that.

The whole production screams "why did you do something so screwed up and make it so hard on yourself" and basically the only viable explanation is "we made the original Frostbite 1.0 engine for console which didn't require extra maps or a lot of patching, so it was a one-time operation, and went pants-on-head retarded trying to squeeze PC functionality in."
                          I get the feeling they've just blundered on and on until they got to the current Frostbite version. I mean, each game made on the engine has been on a new version of the engine. To paraphrase the article they are finally at the point where the technology is ready to do anything they want.

So, maybe now is the time for them to work on better development tools. Not just for us but for them also.

Comment

I like the part of the article that reminds you if you want to play it to the max, your going to need to upgrade your computer.
                            I'm thinking the tech forum is going to be pretty busy at the end of the year.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              I like the part of the article that reminds you if you want to play it to the max, your going to need to upgrade your computer.
                              I'm thinking the tech forum is going to be pretty busy at the end of the year.
                              or even late summer time for the beta !

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X