[video] Sound design of BF3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [video] Sound design of BF3

lots of little video treats out today :)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...lefield-3.aspx

Re: [video] Sound design of BF3

I was really impressed by DICE's artistic integrity, at least portrayed in this video. It reminds me a bit of the making of the first Star Wars film - the sounds simply didn't exist in the industry yet. To hear DICE say they went as far as studying animal sounds and using them for non-animal uses is really impressive. A lot of the Star Wars sound effects were a huge mashup of animals, industrial, and synth...

BC2 is by far the best sound experience in multiplayer that I've ever had - But I do agree with him a bit - it can be overwhelming. There needs to be clarity. If we can have the intensity of BC2 combined with the clarity we experienced in BF2, I think we'll have a great happy medium.

I really appreciate that DICE is going through the effort to study HOW sounds work in a battle instead of just filling your ears with explosions like they did in BC2 - which is not necessarily wrong. BC2's sounds are fantastic. But sometimes I just can't hear footsteps, etc. And I know in a real battle, yeah, you're not gonna hear everything you need to hear all the time - but they need a good medium. I think his description of the difference between game sounds and cinema sounds is spot on. DICE needs to be concerned with making the sounds what's best for the GAME, while still being intense.
    Skud

Comment

Love the audioscape in BC2, if a little hectic. Hate some of the weapons sounds, M16 etc sounds like a water pistol unless your inside something for the echo, got that horribly wrong imo.

Wish more games would capture the brutality of weapons being fired, that metallic sound, instead of all these raspy plastic sounds, like all the weapons are fitted with malfunctioning suppressors lol. For an idea of good sounds you can check out some of the ARMA2 sound mods the community has made. Man, the sound of a PKM smashing into the brickwork in front of you is proper immersion, you really don't want to stick your head up.

I think the sound of games, particularly environmental effects and ballistics within the environment are finally coming into their own and play a huge, somewhat unsung part in the immersion level of a game now.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
        Man, the sound of a PKM smashing into the brickwork in front of you is proper immersion, you really don't want to stick your head up. .

I would - I eat PKM bullets for breakfast !

lol

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

Sounds Awesome

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement