[video] Battlefield 3 GDC Demonstration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [video] Battlefield 3 GDC Demonstration

Hopefully this doesn' t get taken down from Youtube, and it's kind of terrible video quality. But in summary: oh...oh my.

edit: down from youtube, might stay up here:
    http://nl.media.multiplayer.it/files...GDC2011.hi.mp4

if not it can be downloaded here:
    http://oron.com/rxvvo8itbn2i/YouTube..._2011.flv.html
    Last edited by Bodofooko; 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM.
    sigpic

Re: Battlefield 3 GDC Demonstration

Looks good.
    As a big Mirror's Edge fan I see that it has influenced BF3 quite a lot, the skyline, the players movement, the way you see the arms and legs of the player, and the vent crawling.

SP is gonna be a fun roller coaster ride for sure.
    "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Rehost of first link

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|519...1.hi.mp4|50226
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Comment

Re: [video] Battlefield 3 GDC Demonstration

this link works.
          http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZNQNL0MV

Quick Summary for those who dont wanna watch:

- No real multiplayer gameplay is shown at all in this video.
          - Beginning scenes have some quick flyovers of terrain, not clear at all if this is actual playable levels or just tech demo rolling.
          - Singleplayer campaign footage starts off with the player crawling through some vents and some equipment rooms, then seamlessly going into large urban streets and engaging in a firefights with some very obvious bot adversaries, the bots look prety dumb, and theres not much destruction, not much cover used and it seemed like the player was in god mode. also bots seemed to take alot of hits before going down (ala COD).
          - Lots of good animation of the players arms and legs throughout, it looks like alot of that cool stuff they learned from mirrors edge will be in Bf3
          -Map has TONs of skyscrapers, this is SUPER urban, no indication of how many enterables though. seems like lots of scripted scenes like call of duty, but the levels look a bit more open, no idea if these levels are fully explorable or not though, it looks like the player is playing very conservatively and "on the rails", not deviating at all from the scripted scenes playing out. hard to judge the game based on any of this footage.
          - at some point the Player jumps onto a technical 50cal, and mans it and starts firing. There is an actual animation for entering the 50cal position, which is very cool but no idea if this is simply a singleplayer scripted event or if all vehicles will be entered in this way.
          - Theres an impressive singleplayer scripted earthquake which knocks over a building INTO a helicopter, which smashes close to the player and he gets thrown back and blacks out (again, COD...)
          - At the end of the video theres a lighting demo that shows a cityscape in various lighting conditions, not really with real time sun going up or down (its not showing a full day/night system here), just showing that the engine can instantly set the map to different lighting conditions, plus there was some smoke and particle effects which looked good.

COOL STUFF:

Unfortunately the really interesting stuff of the video (unless you actually are looking forward to a BF singleplayer) is only less than 10 seconds long and is more of a teaser than anything else

- A huge cityscape flashes before the viewer, its on fire with AAA rounds going everywhere, huuuge explosions, but no indication if this is just more singleplayer scripting or live multi gameplay.
          - A desert scene with multiple M1 Abrams tanks roaming and aiming, looks like multiplayer but maybe not.
          - Some kind of parajumping scene, out of a C130 or just off a huge ramp? Some helicopter flying by for some reason too, LOL soooo specops its ridonculous.
          - 3 Second scene of a cockpit view of a jet, it looks very fast and another jet zooms in front of it, it looks really fkin badass.

Final Words:

Like the other videos, the graphics look cool, but nothing about multiplayer which is what I assume everyone here at TG is waiting to hear about. This is just part of the hype machine and very skippable video.

Comment

Any youtube link will be raped by EA instantly.

If you dont want to download it, heres a link to stream. Lighting looks great.

http://rutube.ru/tracks/4170084.html...72079ed12808c6
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
              - Some kind of parajumping scene, out of a C130 or just off a huge ramp? Some helicopter flying by for some reason too, LOL soooo specops its ridonculous.
              looks like they're base jumping as an MH6 littlebird flies by... definitely badass.

Comment

That flyovers of terrain could be battle recorder.
                The tank sight is a bit too big but the jets look amazing and did you see that crater in the middle of the street??? looked so nice!
                sigpic

Comment

If you read this article you can figure out what parts of the leaked video correspond to the text.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...vealed-at-gdc/
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Rh_...layer_embedded
                    sigpic

Comment

Best source ever!
                      KOTAKU!
                      http://ca.kotaku.com/5777182/unoffic...d-3s-a-stunner

Comment

Something tells me that recording in a theater is a bad idea :row__526:,

Kudos to whoever did this though.

Former TG-21st
                        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

The more I watch the lighting demonstration, the more I wonder if we will see maps where the either the lighting changes as game play/time progresses, allows for random lighting at load, or has various lighting versions of the map that could perhaps progress a little over time. Even if they made it change, my guess is they would have some sort of default setting. Very interesting how they are doing that in game and there must be a reason for it. Hopefully we can learn more soon.
                          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

The tease about combined arms looks good. Potentially. Thats why we all play BF, so lets hope we get a more PR like experience than in BC2.............

Comment

I fear that they are putting tons of cool things into the single player side, and then half assing the multi-player, even though it should be the other way around. Time will only tell though and my fingers are crossed but deep down I have a feeling money is going to trump anything they want to do which I really do not get since BF2 has been going strong for 5 some odd years....humm

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X