Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troedsson -The decline of PC Gaming is bullshi*t and it's time for some extra PC love

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troedsson -The decline of PC Gaming is bullshi*t and it's time for some extra PC love

Looks like Dice is making sure they don't forget where this game came from..

Shacknews: Something I know Shackers will be happy to hear is that the lead platform for Battlefield 3 is the PC. Is that based on technology? Is it a matter of building it to a high point on PC and then making sure it works on consoles afterwards or is it more balanced?

Karl Magnus Troedsson: I felt that we had, maybe, set PC aside a bit too much. I've said this publicly before, we were very unhappy that we were not able to get a PC version out of Battlefield: Bad Company. It was down to sheer manpower, or lack thereof. We felt that we couldn't just bring out the Frostbite engine, and bring the game to consoles, and get the PC version out. We just failed there. It's something that we regret but it was a pure fact that we were faced upon.

We fixed that with Bad Company 2. Now it's Battlefield 3 and we thought, "Now it's time to give some extra love to the PC community." But also, we strongly believe in PC gaming. Two years ago, maybe one year ago, people talked about "the decline of PC gaming." Or "the death of PC gaming." These kind of words were thrown around and, honestly, that's bull****.

PC gamers are probably the most hardcore players we have out there. Sure, online gameplay has been on the rise on the Xbox 360 and PS3. There are a lot of hardcore online players there too. But on PC? That's our core audience.

Shacknews: There's a heritage there.

Karl Magnus Troedsson: Yes.

Shacknews: To that end then, does that mean the PC version will get the same support as the consoles? I mean, you mention Bad Company 2 coming to PC and it did, but some of the content didn't. Onslaught never made it to PC gamers. So, the PC platform is leading in the development phase but will it also be the lead platform when the game is already on store shelves? The "lead platform after launch."

Karl Magnus Troedsson: I wouldn't call it "lead platform after launch" but it's definitely going to get the same post-launch campaign or whatever we do there is going to apply to the PC as well.

In many ways, when it comes to Bad Company 2, the PC has been getting more love than the console versions. When it comes to more patches and these kinds of things. But, yes, I'm sorry we didn't get Onslaught out there for PC gamers.
    On a side note, the game does take place in Western countries too like France and the US

We can't talk about the backstory yet. As you can see here, there is a conflict around the region. It's a fictional conflict; we're a few years in the future. What we can say is that there will also be places like Paris and New York in the game as well, so it won't only take place in the Middle East.
    Source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/676...erview-dice-gm

Re: Troedsson -The decline of PC Gaming is bullshi*t and it's time for some extra PC

Well, it looks like there won't a commander or squad leaders in BF3, squad size down to 4, and a big focus on singleplayer. So, maybe PC gamers will still be around, but they're all being COD-ized/console-ized. There seems to be a death of teamwork and complexity. Maybe some other franchise else will be able to pick up the slack at some point, or we could all rely on the hardcore Project Reality for strong teamwork.
    Sure, I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy BF3 and love it, but I have a feeling it'll be a downgrade from BF2.
    Last edited by Keating; 03-06-2011, 03:11 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Troedsson -The decline of PC Gaming is bullshi*t and it's time for some extra PC

Where did you get your info on no SL's and four in a squad? I don't remember reading that anywhere.

No commander is disappointing, but no squad leader is a deal-breaker in my book.

Comment

The only thing that has been confirmed is there won't be a "traditional" commander mode. All this speculation by trying to "read between the lines" is hilarious. Just wait until they actually release the details.

Comment

Originally posted by baguiar View Post
          All this speculation by trying to "read between the lines" is hilarious. Just wait until they actually release the details.
          I know, they should rename the forum "Battlefield 3 Knitting Circle" :D
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by INSUNABULA View Post
            I know, they should rename the forum "Battlefield 3 Knitting Circle" :D
            Don't tempt me....

Comment

A little speculation is fine, everyone is excited, and the speculation is an interesting window on everyone's hopes for the game. As long as it remains respectful (and it will) and people don't start giving or taking offence it's all good. If it's not to anyone's taste, don't read it.

Comment

About darn time they swept the dust off their computers and put down the controllers. That's the kinda stuff I like to see! :D
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Well, I can't remember now reading anything about not having squad leaders, I guess I just assumed that since they weren't going to have commanders - because they want to put the power into the individual player's hands - that they wouldn't have squad leaders. And the demo of BF3 that some got to play, apparently had only 4 members to a squad, but yes, could change.
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X