Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bach interview on MP: "We want to make a game for grown-ups"

From a new interview with Patrick Bach:

There can be no doubt that the ‘slice’ of the campaign we saw is impressive. But there’s one nagging question left: why did a company and franchise better known for large-scale, vehicle-based online warfare choose to exclusively flaunt single-player, with no MP footage on show?

Bach was quick to acknowledge that some people may moan about this, but he’s not too worried. After all, it would take a colossal failure for DICE to drop the ball on the multiplayer modes that it pioneered.

We think that single-player games are great, and if you have a great single-player, that makes the game better,” he tells us. “That doesn’t mean that you need to take away MP. Our DNA is still MP, the competitive element of games.“

Although he can’t go into too many details about the multiplayer, Bach gives us some helpful hints about the content of the online portion of the game. The maps will be larger to compensate for more vehicles – including fighter jets, returning to the series for the first time since Battlefield 2, at last. There will be 24 players on the 360 and PS3 as opposed to 64 on the PC, and the maps will be scaled to fit. Bach doesn’t believe that more players equals more fun, however.

I think we’ve had some bad experience in the gaming world with more players; it just adds more complexity. Of course, it’s a great number for marketing – the number is only for marketing. When you play it you’re thinking, ‘Why does it play crap, why does it animate crap, why does it look crap?’ and it’s like, ‘Well, you got this big number, so why aren’t you happy?’

Along with not blindly aping the MAGs of this world, Battlefield 3 will still retain that core feel of smaller battles forming the backbone of an overarching, objective-based narrative. DICE may be chasing the Call Of Duty crowd, but it’s not changing in the process.

We want to make a game for grown-ups. We don’t want to make a children’s game, a twitch, infantry-focused on-drugs sugar-rush experience. This needs to be an adult game with mature features and depth. It’s supposed to be a sport. It should be: ‘I can trust this game.’”

What DICE also wants you to trust is that the Frostbite 2 engine will be just as brilliant as it is in single-player, which would go some way to realising the goal of creating large, open spaces pocketed with dense, tight locations to destroy at will. MP lead designer Lars Gustafsson describes the strength and malleability of the engine as “enabling us to spend less time squeezing the paint out of the tube, and more time painting the picture right”.

Gustafsson, naturally, also agrees with Bach’s opinion that Battlefield 3’s multiplayer shouldn’t be copying other shooters: “If you constantly just spawn into the meat grinder with no delay, it’s impossible to create a weighted battle, a tug of war, and it becomes a chaotic team deathmatch. [It’s about] that physical experience of being there. The pacing, that awareness of not only yourself but the world reacting to you.

Very encouraging!

Re: Bach interview on MP: "We want to make a game for grown-ups"

“We think that single-player games are great, and if you have a great single-player, that makes the game better,”
    Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt the multi-player aspect of the game keep the BF2 franchise going for a crazy amount of YEARS and not single-player that can be conquered in days??

I know a lot of people are skeptical, but it seems to me like there really trying to sell all these "new" things that there putting into the game when they are the ones that took them out in the first place.....

Good article find Whiskey, but it still hasnt sold me on the pre order, ive been burnt to many times and will start vetting my games with a more fine grained comb b/c of my BC2 & MoH 120$ fubar.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
      Bach was quick to acknowledge that some people may moan about this, but he’s not too worried. After all, it would take a colossal failure for DICE to drop the ball on the multiplayer modes that it pioneered.
      Stranger things have happened... While I do believe that the MP will be great, as with the rest of the Battlefield franchise, it would be nice to see some evidence as opposed to self aggrandizing fluff, and being left to take it on faith. Being asked to pre-order when you haven't shown so much as a clip from the main part of the game boggles my mind frankly.

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
      Bach doesn’t believe that more players equals more fun, however.
      Personally always preferred 64 player games.

The only sacrifice is a little FPS and the like. As long as the maps have been made well for a larger amount of players, I think it's worthy of the sacrifice.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Tiger got to hunt, Bird got to fly, Man got to sit and wonder 'Why, why, why?'
      Tiger got to sleep, Bird got to land, Man got to tell himself he understand.

Comment

I think weve had some bad experience in the gaming world with more players; it just adds more complexity. Of course, its a great number for marketing the number is only for marketing. When you play it youre thinking, Why does it play crap, why does it animate crap, why does it look crap? and its like, Well, you got this big number, so why arent you happy?
        Uh? so where does the current number of players the game can support come from? Why does the game function well with 64 players and not 90? Seems to me its the developers responsibility to make it work, 2142 had 64 and that was 5+ years ago. If he had said that the gameplay suffers then Id understand but why would it automatically look like crap with more players?
        sigpic

Comment

It is all in the map design. Poor design will lead to a poor execution of 64 player maps. It is the 64 player maps that are needed to really flush out the full vehicle.combat aspect of the game. If he thinks that does not work, then he is dead wrong and that is very bad news for BF3.
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

wow - what a cynical bunch, we are!! :icon_lol: Surprised everyone latched onto those quotes rather than the one's I bolded about designing the game so it's not a non-stop frag-fest (*coughBC2142cough*)

Comment

Ehh, I singled my quote out b/c it really related to me, I haven't played single player of a game since 2005, yes its nice to have but I play games to be online with fellow competitors and really enjoy that aspect since every time I play can be unique.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
                Uh? so where does the current number of players the game can support come from? Why does the game function well with 64 players and not 90? Seems to me its the developers responsibility to make it work, 2142 had 64 and that was 5+ years ago. If he had said that the gameplay suffers then Id understand but why would it automatically look like crap with more players?
                I think by crap he means level of detail. yeah 2142 had 64 players but look at the maps as far as detail and depth....now look at a BC2 map. It's vibrant and pretty. I don't think you can get both worlds without a bit of sacrifice, yeah you can have 64 players but detail will be stepped back a bit to have a "smoother" game play experience. The frostbite 2 engine is no slouch with the amount of data it uses to create the environment.
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                  ... yeah you can have 64 players but detail will be stepped back a bit

I wonder why? Is it too much for them to do, or because of scheduling due to EA? Were in 2011 with new tech coming out daily, just look to Boston Dynamics new cheetah there working on yes its not gaming tech but the way our systems are evolving and graphics are as well, why not take more emphasis on netcode and up that a notch to bring it into the new decade? good post mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                    ...yeah you can have 64 players but detail will be stepped back a bit to have a "smoother" game play experience. The frostbite 2 engine is no slouch with the amount of data it uses to create the environment.
                    With respect, Ven, I think this is buying into the sales pitch. The only compromise here is what the developer decides to compromise. Since he is the producer of BF3 I wish he would say that the MP mode is even better than the SP mode and that they wont make any deliberate compromises regarding the quality of multiplayer gameplay. And stop this sidestepping as soon as someone asks about it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
                      With respect, Ven, I think this is buying into the sales pitch. The only compromise here is what the developer decides to compromise. Since he is the producer of BF3 I wish he would say that the MP mode is even better than the SP mode and that they wont make any deliberate compromises regarding the quality of multiplayer gameplay. And stop this sidestepping as soon as someone asks about it.
                      I understand what your saying Alvin but there is only so much that can be done due to hardware limitations. You can write intricate code all day long but if the hardware can't handle the massive amounts of data to make the environments then you in turn have to loose somewhere. Should the code be more efficient....well yes of course, but again it boils down to how long this code has been used and developed. From what I understand it is pretty new....it will get better and more efficient as time goes on to play with it. I am not sure how many read the game informer article on the game but there was a small caption on the bottom of one of the pages if memory serves me right showing a half finished corridor with white orbs all over the place. Those orbs were basically showing you lighting affects before they are completed, if I remember correctly they said that just one of those lighting orbs contained more data than an entire level of BC2. I may be mistaken since I don't have the article in front of me but it was either a whole level of BC2 or BF2....either way it's pretty damn impressive.
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

There is only so much developers can do before they close off certain people because of hardware requirements.

They are a business. They would like to see a lot of people play their game. They do not want this to be like Crysis at launch, where it was unplayble for months even for bleeding edge.

If you would like to see an example of where the developer outpaces hardware and engine - Project Reality.
                        Skud

Comment

If I buy this game I will not be looking to the single player game as the reason. Show me more MP details. I am like Jack Bauer in the fact I play games to be online with like-minded individuals, not to sit at home and stare at a computer screen on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                            Ehh, I singled my quote out b/c it really related to me, I haven't played single player of a game since 2005, yes its nice to have but I play games to be online with fellow competitors and really enjoy that aspect since every time I play can be unique.
                            I forgot they were making this game just for you :row__579:

Also, why are people complaining when there are 64 players? I'm pretty sure the guy is referring to the 24 players for consoles anyway.
                            Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

When Bach says more players doesn't equal more fun, I simply took that as him reassuring console players that their version of BF3 will be just as good as the PC version.
                              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X