DICE+EA= The death of BF as we know it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE+EA= The death of BF as we know it

Ok this is just pure speculation on my part, and I would happily call this forum the "the BF3 knitting circle", but I have been thinking about what BF3 really is. Some of you might agree and some of you may not.

I want to start by mentioning the behemoth that is Activision/Blizzard. This is a company that knows how to make money and do so constantly. I am not even going to touch WoW on this one, rather I will think out loud about the COD series. Take Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, this is a game that came out in 2007 and became a great succes with its cinematic single player mode, great graphics and addictive multiplayer modes. What has happened since?
    Not much, they have iterated on the series were Infinity Ward (now defunct) produces the major releases and Treyarch the titles in between. Having two studios take turns at releasing COD games Activision made it possible to have a Call of Duty game out once a year. This is a very effective to keep the brand name relevant during a long period of time. They have been able to use the same tech since COD:MW and still make people buy their games. As a publisher Activision is living the dream right now. How do they do it?
    Instant gratification. By using almost a system similar to pinball, you get points for everything. Kill dudes and rank up, get a kill streak and you are awarded with a shiny pin that tells you you are the bomb. keep doing good and you'll get some nice perks, and so on.

So what does this have to do with the Battlefield series?
    Well, Battlefield has a different background, made for tactical warfare simulation (that is how I like to look at it) catering to a more niche group of gamers. Much like Counter Strike, the early BF games had a long tail, lasting for months and months. Mods like Desert combat wowed gamers with the modern setting, perhaps so much that BF2 was set in modern time (I remember reading that some of the DC modders got hired to help make BF2).
    Later came BF2142, a game I hated when I first played it, it did grow on me though and a couple of years later I got the tip from General_Alvin to play it on Tactical Gamer, and I have been in love with 2142 ever since (thanks to TG, eventhough I am not very good at it).

I wondered what would become of the BF franchise after this and when Bad Company was released for Ps3/X360 I was more than happy to give it a shot. BC1 was a different kind of game. The tactical gameplay was almost gone, I had to get used to seeing numbers popping up constantly, I was half expecting to see a message like "multiball!" on the screeen. Whatever you did you got points, 50+ points for a kill? What does that even mean? A kill is a kill, should it not be 1 point?

This was the first hint regarding the direction DICE and EA wanted to do with the BF series. I thought it was strange that BC1 never got released on PC, but I justified it as being an experiment with what you could do on consoles, if it would sell enough.

When BC2 was announced, suddenly the hype went into overdrive, could this be the big leap forward?
    We learned that this game would be released on PC day and date of the console counterparts, it would be phenomenal and have VOIP out of the gate. Well the rest we know. Voip is not working, DICE and EA were surprised to learn that the PC version (which was a port of the console version) sold better than the console release.

What did they innovate on?
    Not much, hey renamed the game mode gold rush to rush, added more destructability, some new weapons and enhanced the graphics a little.

Looking forward, I am uncertain what BF3 will be.

I belive that EA has made it pretty clear to DICE, make a COD killer or GTFO. EA wants what Activision already has, a multi billion franchise. I believe that BF3 is going to be BC3, from what we have learned so far it seems like BF3 has more in common with BC2 than BF2.
    After reading some of the interviews with the developers from DICE they feel that they are happy that EA embraces "Little DICE" and asks what they want. This is not out of kindness, it has more to do with EA seeing a chance to dethrone COD and make their own annualized franchise. They have laid the ground work with the Frostbite engine which has been used in Mirror's edge, BF1943, BC1, BC2. They have made it and completed it, this is the engine they will use for the coming years.

I am almost willing to bet money on this: BF3 comes out this year, BC3 next year, and the year after that we will see BF4.

To summarize: BF is dead, all hail the new BF.
    I have already decided to buy BF3 and I will like it, but I will miss BF2 and 2142. Maybe some day an indie developer will make a game that TG will love for its tactical gameplay (Breach almost had it?)

Until then enjoy your kill streaks and "master sergeant shooter person" rank ups.

Lien out.
    "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Re: DICE+EA= The death of BF as we know it

We really know so little at this point, I feel your post is a little premature. Let us just wait and see what the game really will be.
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Yeah maybe you are right, still willing to bet money on it though :)

Comment

So you're basing about 75% of your speculation on the Bad Company series and its competition with the COD series? The developers have made it clear that the BC series is a "spin-off", and not a true BF sequel. They've also stated that "you don't kill COD by being COD". I'm not expecting the perfect game... far from that. But most of what we know so far shows promise.

Take it easy, chicken little. When they start giving us more information, we can make more rational and logical conclusions.

Comment

While the (possible propaganda) back with BC2 was "Bad Company is a spinoff, it's not a true Battlefield game", the interviews in GameInformer as well as the recent Q/A sessions have come out with them basically saying "Yeah, no commander in BC2 was spot on, things like giving the UAV to the players and "leveling the field" with commander assets worked in BC2, 4 man squads worked in BC2, we're putting them in BF3."

I'm withholding the majority of my judgment until the game is out, but from what little I've seen on the actual meat of the game (and their apparent reluctance in telling us about it while touting things like graphics and scripted event effects) I can already conclude that this game is going to be more BC3 than BF2.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
            So you're basing about 75% of your speculation on the Bad Company series and its competition with the COD series? The developers have made it clear that the BC series is a "spin-off", and not a true BF sequel. They've also stated that "you don't kill COD by being COD". I'm not expecting the perfect game... far from that. But most of what we know so far shows promise.

Take it easy, chicken little. When they start giving us more information, we can make more rational and logical conclusions.
            Yes pretty much, however I would say that EA influence DICE to make a game more like BC2 but still calling it BF3. Therefore I feel that BC2 is more relevant to BF3 than 1942 or BF2. They say they are not making a COD killer, but everything they have revealed so far I feel point to the contrary. What would sell best, a game called BF3 or BC3?

Comment

You'd think them looking at what worked / didn't work in the previous titles would be a good thing...sometimes the comments about BF3 here remind me of two old men sitting in a rocking chair complaining how the world has changed and was never as good as when they were young.

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                You'd think them looking at what worked / didn't work in the previous titles would be a good thing...sometimes the comments about BF3 here remind me of two old men sitting in a rocking chair complaining how the world has changed and was never as good as when they were young.
                Speak louder! I am hard of hearing at my old age, and it is so fun to speculate and worry of what is to come.

As to what worked / didn't work, Battlefield 2 has sales of over 2.2 million copies worldwide, as of July 2006 (wikipedia.org). Bad Company 2 had according to IGN.com shipped 5 million since march 2010.
                Looking at revenue everything about BC2 worked without a hitch.
                Last edited by Lien; 03-09-2011, 08:30 PM. Reason: misread the IGN report, it should be since march not in march.

Comment

Battlefield 2 was never released for the console (to my knowledge). The numbers you are quoting may be an inaccurate comparison.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Or just wait until the beta.

People will still buy it, so 1 less person from TG is not that great of a lost.
                    Hopefully it does well.

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                      Battlefield 2 was never released for the console (to my knowledge). The numbers you are quoting may be an inaccurate comparison.
                      It was never released to console as "Battlefield 2" proper. However, a year later it was released as a cut-down version (24 players, 5 classes, 20 mission singleplayer campaign that according to gamespot and IGN "just didn't feel like a battlefield game") for the PS2 and xbox/360 called Battlefield 2: Modern
                      Combat.

Heres a video review of that
                      Some highlights from the gamespot review..
                      That said, we did have a couple of quibbles with the multiplayer experience. One is that it might be a little too easy to spot and track enemy players, because a red enemy dot appears over them any time you close within visual range.
                      Don't be surprised if you see too many people plinking away at each other from long distance instead of actually capturing and holding locations, as people tend to be enamored with upping their kill totals, as opposed to playing more of a team role and helping win matches. Beyond that, Modern Combat offers some single-player challenge modes as another way for you to pick up stars for ranking.
                      The community also could use some tutoring on proper tactics in conquest mode as well. In many games we played, players seemed content to just choose the sniper class and plink away at each other from long distance instead of actually capturing and holding locations. Perhaps that's a consequence of the game's extensive stat tracking system, as people tend to be enamored with upping their kill totals as opposed to playing more of a team role and helping win matches.
                      And for the single player, they had a "hot swap" feature that let you warp across the battlefield and jump into any unit being played by the bots, so one minute you could be a sniper and the next inside a tank or an engineer.

Other gameplay contrivances contribute to the arcade feel, such as the health, damage, rapid fire, and other character bonuses for racking up kills in quick succession. The game even keeps score for you as you play through a mission, and it encourages you to go on mad killing sprees to rack up score multipliers. You're graded on your performance and awarded stars depending on how well you do racking up scores, switching between your units, and completing a mission in time.
                      Last edited by Bisclaveret; 03-09-2011, 11:43 PM.

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I played that game. Yes, it was kinda bad. But it was alright all things considering what they were trying to do.

It was one of the first games to try and use more than 6 v 6 on consoles, from what I recall. It also was a good experiment in giving players kit options - other than COD2 this wasn't really around at the time on consoles.

BTW, the original Ghost Recon had that same "teleporting," so don't immediately dismiss it.

I get the strict impression many of you think that console gaming is a wasteland with no redemption. Myself, I got my start in Ghost Recon and Halo on the Xbox, and did a bit of competitive play.

I still play some games on Xbox Live. It's not a wasteland.
                        Skud

Comment

I got my start on PC. To this day i've owned all of 1 console that can go online regularly that I can actually hook up (Wii, i had a PS2 and a Gamecube and played mostly RPGs and platformers and didn't shell out the 40 bucks for a modem to play my Tribes: Aerial Assault) and my online forays have been in action-RPG stuff that takes dedication and teamwork, like Monster Hunter Tri. Whenever I've played console it's been single player or hotseat/one-box multiplayer.

I HAVE played some online though at friend's houses. Unfortunately the only one thing anyone wanted to play online or with me that wasn't Rockband on the 360 was Halo 3. THAT game, i might as well have signed onto a 24/7 karkand or knife/pistol only counterstrike server. No teamwork, even on CTF/keepaway modes, and all i heard over the speakers was an unrelenting torrent of trashtalk and profanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Lien View Post
                            Yes pretty much, however I would say that EA influence DICE to make a game more like BC2 but still calling it BF3. Therefore I feel that BC2 is more relevant to BF3 than 1942 or BF2. They say they are not making a COD killer, but everything they have revealed so far I feel point to the contrary. What would sell best, a game called BF3 or BC3?
                            This is straight up speculation
                            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I believe that BF3 will be whatever it will be. I'm not going to speculate or assume anything until the actual game comes out.

I will say that I preferred the other Battlefields to BC2. I welcomed BCV however, mainly because I only had to shoot a couple of bullets into someone to kill them...

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X