Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded melee combat?

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/23/batt...n-off-at-c2e2/

During a closed-doors demonstration, DICE showed off Battlefield 3′s rapid hand-to-hand combat. Onscreen prompts gave the demonstrator various options during close-quarters combat, allowing for left and right punches, counters and throws, rather than the usual single strike seen in many shooters.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Re: Expanded melee combat?

Melee only servers at the ready!
    BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

well, just like the dragging of bodies just because they mention or show something doesn't mean it will filter down to multiplayer.

Still...I could care less about different ways of hand to hand combat. Personally I think I prefer if the "S" in FPS still stood for shooter and not sucker punching.

As always I'll wait to see what becomes of it as it develops.

Comment

I have always felt that a quick option for melee is a good idea but let that option be a pistol whip or smack somebody with the gun butt... basically using the item in hand as a blunt weapon Then having the knife be it's own weapon slot. A blunt strike might only daze another player and do slight damage while a knife would be more for going for a kill. You can keep the melee abuse down by setting the time until you can reuse your weapon high enough that people who go for it and miss will get caught basically with their pants down.
        Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
          ..will get caught basically with their pants down.
          I hear option 8 is pulling pants down..
          BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

:icon_lol:

<feverishly stabs at 8-key>

Comment

if i press the right button combinations will i be able to do finishing moves too? i really hope this isn't part of multiplayer
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

<<>b
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Knife should be a weapon slot. I hope that's what they really mean by all this :p
                  Skud

Comment

another report
                    http://gamenyusu.com/home/wii/8-all-...ng-system.html

Comment

I wonder if they have drawn from their recent implementation of melee combat in Mirror's Edge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u67Tp...eature=related
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                        Personally I think I prefer if the "S" in FPS still stood for shooter and not sucker punching.
                        or...First Person Stupidly getting killed with a knife their hand? I have a begrudging respect for the knifer you never see coming, but the idiot that repeatedly charges straight on zig-zagging toward you for an attempt at an ego stroking trinket, but fails at it 9 out of 10 times should have a special negative stat or get an anti-award (or at least get considered a suicide tactic on our servers).

Comment

Note: If you see players who are not playing the game, and only going for knife kills, report them. The knife is not a primary weapon in BF titles. If you're caught reloading, that's one thing, but it's another to ignore using a proper weapon and only seek knife kills. It's not helping the team or, 9/10, the objective.

On topic: I fully realize why the knife is a separate key in BC2 - It's more familiar for a larger audience. BC1, however, had the knife in it's own weapon slot. I really, REALLY, prefer it. Panic knifing is silly, and honestly doesn't make sense in a game where everyone is wearing kevlar body armor/ceramic plates anyway.
                          Skud

Comment

That's gotta be for the SP, where it can go slo-mo and interactive... I think namebot's right on the Mirror's Edge tip - they're using ME first-person perspective modeling, so it make sense they'd use the melee system too.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                              That's gotta be for the SP, where it can go slo-mo and interactive... I think namebot's right on the Mirror's Edge tip - they're using ME first-person perspective modeling, so it make sense they'd use the melee system too.
                              From the article
                              DICE showed off Battlefield 3′s rapid hand-to-hand combat.
                              so its def not slo-mo :-)
                              They do start off taking about MP in this article so fist fights might be a MP feature as well and i hope it will cause killing 2 sometimes even 3 dudes with one slash each its just a bit silly. In Vietnam when set on fire you had to go into the water or use a medic pack to stay alive, it be nice if they applied that to knife damage as well.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X