X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BFBLOG] Wake Island Preview

Full size: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/cfs-...00_Concept.jpg

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/batt...8/B2K-2.aspx##
    Hi Niklas Fegraeus! You?re Lead Designer on Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand, where the classic Wake Island map will be remade. How far do you and Wake Island go back?
    -- Wake Island was my very first Battlefield experience, like it was for so many others. In 2002, I was actually involved in a professional Counter-Strike clan. We had just trounced our opposing team, when they proposed a rematch ? in the recently released Battlefield 1942 demo on Wake Island!

Hi Lars! What guided the design for Wake Island back in the original game?
    -- The basic premise was that we looked at how real-life Wake Island [from the Pacific Theatre in WWII] looks today. We knew we couldn?t do it to scale, but that kind of one-to-one fidelity wasn?t really of interest to us. Funny thing is, it was in fact downscaled so much due to a decimal error in programming. The map was originally meant to be bigger, but the involuntary downsizing created a very cool and concentrated gaming experience.

-- That concentration also comes from the fact that when fighting on land, because of the island?s U-shape, you cannot escape. If there?s a tank in your way, you will have to confront it head-on sooner or later. That?s something we have tried to recreate throughout the Battlefield series: To have some kind of clear frontline.
    Last edited by FistaLicious; 05-18-2011, 07:34 PM.

Re: [BFBLOG] Wake Island Preview

Whoever made the quote they used seems like a super bright and sexy guy! ;)

I dig the concept art as it shows an interesting way they could go. The game dynamics have changed so much since 1942 that a redesign is needed. I would take the airfield and the left flags just north of it to be all part of a military base. I would then take the middle flag and make it a civilian port and the final flag would be a tourist destination hotels, cafes, and nice beaches.
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Sweet - Like the looks of that map. Much better than the 2142 version. Reminded me of an old image I had of Wake Is., with a minor jeep glitch at the end.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Beautiful ... brings a tear to my eye.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse