Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF3 opportunity for DICE to be creative with fornat

a thread with a general positive outlook this time

when battlefield made the jump from BF1942 to BF2, DICE moved the envelope on in a big way, they created squads, spawn on squad lead and squad voip and CO and all the rest

This was a creative jump

With BF2142 the jump was forward but not as big, the beacon ! I know it was quivkly camped on TG but TG is an exception of teamwork. On most servers it helped squads function without demanding the SL is skilled and dedicated to the role.

With BC2 the squad size went down to 4 and its spawn on any squad mate. This is not up TG's street but was designed to keep a squad going without a skilled & dedicated SL, in effect it automates the SL position. The BC2 format was designed to work on consoles

now with BF3 DICE have another opportunity, I for one have an open mind, i welcome creativity and the tactics that are opened up by that. Its all speculation for now, yet i do wonder about the possibilities.

The thing I would really want is SL to SL voip channel and some way of seeing all squads waypoint/orders on the map

Re: BF3 opportunity for DICE to be creative with fornat

If they're serious and committed to the removal of the CO, I would like a return of command structure. As I've said in other threads, it's very much based on your idea of SL-SL comms, but goes further with some sort of interface that displays each squads current objective. The point is that if Alpha squad (how about a return of renaming squads, while we're at it?) is attacking a given flag/point, Charlie squad would be wise to not attack the same point to avoid over-committing resources. One would argue this deteriorates communication (since it's now replaced by markers), but I like to think of it as a replacement for actually having to remember all squads' objectives. It doesn't have to be on the HUD, the tactical map would suffice.

If I had to be creative in a sense and think of something entirely new, I think it'd be cool to see battalions that consist of multiple squads (battalion = 2 squads, for example), or if you want to go smaller, have fire teams with squads (assuming a squad of 6, squad broken down into 2 teams of 3, or 3 teams of 2). This would help break down tasks to a more defined role for each squad. For example, Alpha squad's objective is to capture a point, but within the squad, Alpha fire team 1 approaches the point up the middle with the vehicle, Alpha fire team 2 flanks as infantry from the south, Alpha fire team 3 takes a high vantage point to communicate enemy movement.

One last comment on voice comms... it'd be nice to see 3 types of comms... SL-SL, within squad, and local by proximity, that way you can still communicate to teammates that aren't on your squad, but not to the entire team.

Comment

IŽd like to see more tactical options being incorporated into modes. Instead of "hardcore" it could be called "Teamwork" mode. This mode would have all the tactical stuff in it, the ones DICE seems to think might be too complex. Then you break down all the options which are controlled serverside. This could include spawning options, spotting, com-rose, nr of squadmembers, SL on or off etc. size of map, naming squads etc.
      That way we could have a run 'n gun version and a tactical teamwork version.
      sigpic

Comment

I've heard some dice dude say that they want to keep a good amount of control over the dedicated servers. I wouldn't be surprised if they only allowed people to rent dedicated servers, much like was the case with BF2 ranked servers.

In fact you can be sure that this will be the case as community owned ranked servers would lead to abuse of the stats system no doubt.

Comment

Silver- great thread, and great attitude! (you must spread some reputation around before ....) I am also taking the ssame mental approach. Gamers - and PC gamers especially - can get very stuck in their ways when they love a game, and expect the next game to essentially be the same thing with better graphics. I am hoping for something new and fresh, with the overall feeling and theme of the best of the BF series (as you mentioned BF2 and 2142. I expect it to be different, but I am not going to slam it before it comes out and before I have put some time in learning how the new bits really work. We can't always start a game pwning every noob out there. Sometimes it's good to be a bit of a noob yourself - albeit one who understands tactics and teamwork.
          I got yer Dancing With the F**&ing Stars right here!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X