X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF3 Classes (and suppression details)

From IGN

About the classes:
    Classes have also been redesigned in Battlefield 3, giving players new ways to customize their load outs to suit their play style. Riflemen now double as medics, healing players and reviving those who are downed. The Support class is now equipped with a light machinegun and ammo packs, the sniper is a long-range and demolitions expert, and the Engineer is the master of destroying and repairing vehicles. With weapon attachments players can adapt the classes to how they want to play, with Riflemen choosing things like underslung grenade launchers in place of advanced medical equipment, for instance.
    The Support class was super important in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 because it could heal, but they're given a new role in Battlefield 3:suppression. Shooting in an enemy's general direction is important in real combat, giving your own team a chance to move and gain position while the enemies are frightened into running for cover. Battlefield 3 takes this into account, and anyone firing a hail of lead near foes something the Support class is especially good at, much more so with a fancy bi-pod attachment will suppress the enemy. This not only garners points for the shooter, but dims and shakes the screen of those affected. Shooting to kill is an important role, but shooting to provide actual supporting fire is now emphasized as well.

Re: BF3 Classes (and suppression details)

Cool, let loose the dogs of furious debate!

Comment

Suppression is really nice, but will it work in the small infantry-based maps? Surely there would be bullets flying your way the whole time, and if the screens shake it could get annoying fast. I guess you need to almost hit your target for the suppression to take effect. Which is good for me, I can get points for missing the target :)
      sigpic

Comment

I like the changes. I am guessing no more auto shotties for wookies. :)
        sigpic

Comment

That is the exact class layout I wanted!!!
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

vehicles can also be immobilized right before destruction, forcing an engineer to intervene to save it, and giving the passengers a chance to bail out. The hope is that this will alleviate a lot of the rage that comes from a team jumping into a humvee, only to be destroyed by one well placed rocket. Yes, the rocket might kill the person it blows up right next to, but the whole squad won't be punished for one crazy driver, or feel like vehicles are death traps.
            thank you!
            sigpic

Comment

I like that they are going to the Battlefield 2142-style of classes :) I guess that means that the medic we saw in the trailer with the LMG has simply picked it up during the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                I like that they are going to the Battlefield 2142-style of classes :) I guess that means that the medic we saw in the trailer with the LMG has simply picked it up during the fight.
                Yep, though I'm interested in the switch between "Riflemen choosing things like underslung grenade launchers in place of advanced medical equipment". I'm assuming advanced medical equipment means defibs, which means we won't get a 2142-esque situation where almost everyone on the server is an assault with rockets and defibs. I like it. You actually have to give up something to play a medic now, like it should be, in my opinion. Now, if they let you switch out your frag grenade for smokes (like, two of BC2's smokes at once, since you only get one) that work I would be thrilled.

As for suppression, if they make it very fast-fading and require fairly near misses, I don't see it having a huge effect unless it comes from a MG. ARs couldn't keep up the level of fire required to keep someone suppressed, so you'd only be able to be effective with MGs or emplacements. Alternatively, it might be an effect that only comes from those guns. PR does it fairly well, I think, but too much for the current "pace" that BF3 looks like it'll have. ARs can keep someone effectively suppressed there, but my AR stayed on single shot in PR pretty much all the time. It isn't irritating, it does make you keep your head down and prevents effective return fire. The maneuvering in PR was a lot of fun and pretty important and I think a lot of that is based on suppression. Adding it to BF3 could add a lot of depth to squad-based combat.

Also, suppression is going to make snipers so angry. Better not get spotted if you're trying to snipe!
                I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                  Yep, though I'm interested in the switch between "Riflemen choosing things like underslung grenade launchers in place of advanced medical equipment". I'm assuming advanced medical equipment means defibs, which means we won't get a 2142-esque situation where almost everyone on the server is an assault with rockets and defibs. I like it. You actually have to give up something to play a medic now, like it should be, in my opinion.
                  Indeed these classes look very BF2142 and I think it's great that they're trying to balance the class a bit more by taking away some "advanced medical equipment" if you want to be a grenadier. With only 4-per-squad now it may also mean more variety in kits, e.g. one medic rifleman, one grenadier rifleman, one support, one recon with explosive stuff.

I'm excited, but also kind of not, since it looks very similar to 2142. I'm not really of the opinion that "I just want to see [insert golden oldie title here] with new graphics," I like sequels to be varied in their gameplay, even if that means changing the parameters of each kit.
                  Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

It actually seem like they are going with the bf2 classes. If they take away the grenade launcher from the assault class when they are using the defib, they are just creating a medic and assault which were in bf2.
                    If this the direction that they are going in, I will be pre ordering as soon as possible.
                    Battle is an orgy of disorder.-George S. Patton

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I don't think they will make you choose between 40mm and defib.. Feels to me it will be 40mm or higher capacity med-pack with bigger healing radius or something like that.
                      Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Live feed is up right now

http://www.ustream.tv/battlefield3
                        lTG-Irrl Argetnar
                        If you hear the chatter of my Vossaraptor you're already dead.
                        "Squad attack Tollhouse!" Experiment626
                        "Cookies?" Argetnar
                        "Yes bring your cookies too!" Experiment626
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abel View Post
                          I don't think they will make you choose between 40mm and defib.. Feels to me it will be 40mm or higher capacity med-pack with bigger healing radius or something like that.
                          I pray the choice is between the 40mm and defibs. No more uber 2142 assault.
                          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I thought having both the rocket and defibs made the amount of people using each class realistic. Only a few snipers, about 1-2 machine guns per squad, a few SMGs, and the majority of people using assault rifles. I don't think it broke the game either. BF2142 is in my opinion the best Battlefield game yet for gameplay.
                            lTG-Irrl Argetnar
                            If you hear the chatter of my Vossaraptor you're already dead.
                            "Squad attack Tollhouse!" Experiment626
                            "Cookies?" Argetnar
                            "Yes bring your cookies too!" Experiment626
                            sigpic

Comment

Realistically reviving people faster than they can be shot!

With the revive ability being so powerful in the past iterations of the game you might think they would make you choose a trade off for that ability or perhaps there are some additional new game play mechanics which change the ease of shock paddleing.
                              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X