Petition: Don't make BF3 an Origin Exclusive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition: Don't make BF3 an Origin Exclusive

Petition can be found here: http://www.change.org/petitions/dont...lusive-title-2

Sign if you agree. We don't want BF3 to be an EA Origin Exclusive game. Origin itself is fine, but they should offer the game on Steam, D2D, retail, and in other forms as well (so we can have it launch through Steam if we choose without Origin).

Link to article that says it will be Origin exclusive: http://games.on.net/article/12730/Ba..._to_EAs_Origin

With that said, as unfortunate as it is that it's more than likely it will not come to steam, etc because BF3 will be their big marketing tool to launch their Origin against Steam's service.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: Petition: Don't make BF3 an Origin Exclusive

I liken Steam to things like Google and World of Warcraft, not likely to get knocked from it's perch anytime soon. It would be better for all involved if EA just went with the flow on this one.

Comment

What's up with asking for an address?

Comment

The article says it is exclusive but nowhere does Origins say BF3 is exclusive. The only time it says BF3 is exclusive is in a list of E3 information. The only confirmed 100% exclusive title so far is Star Wars KOTOR.
        Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I'm not signing an internet petition unless it's made official. Even then, internet petitions make me LOL.

Kotaku did an article the other day - many agree that EA is not likely to decline a STEAM launch for BF3, since they're releasing only a few weeks ahead of MW3, and will want to get the ball rolling on sales.
          Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
            What's up with asking for an address?
            At least the SS# and checking account fields are optional.

Comment

I don't think BF3 is going to be an exclusive to Origin. I'm sure I've seen references to getting it from places like Direct2Drive.

It almost certainly will not be on Steam. Relevant link here: http://www.giantbomb.com/steam/92-71...ted/35-502206/

It appears Steam is imposing new rules on businesses who publish games to Steam and it rules out EA publishing BF3 on the service.

EDIT: Also found this: http://www.direct2drive.com/10557/pr...eld-3-Download

Why do we need a petition again?

Comment

Found this little nugget in the first link Knyghtmare posted.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/3...8102784038.jpg

Looks like I'll only go with Origin as a last resort, just in case.

Comment

Did the goal of all businesses in the world change overnight? If it didn't, then they will put it on Steam :)
                  sigpic

Comment

I hope... EA has done some stupid things in the past lol.
                    sigpic

Comment

If you want to generate signatures on the petition it might be worth adding a message to the server scripts if the admins will allow it
                      sigpic

Comment

Just so none of you have any doubts. When any major gaming company hears about a "Petition" or "Boycott", this is pretty much all they can see. There's no respect for roving bands of faceless signatures.
                        boycottmw2.jpg

Comment

So we applaud when smaller game companies do an independent release, but when a major game company decides to not release on steam, people get mad?

Double standards. Double standards everywhere.
                          Skud

Comment

I think a lot of people just like steam. People do like to tell others what they like. Sometimes when i order a sandwhich i ask for it different than it appears on the menu and i get it.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                              So we applaud when smaller game companies do an independent release, but when a major game company decides to not release on steam, people get mad?

Double standards. Double standards everywhere.
                              Steam is not a publishing service. The indie game is free to release on their own label instead of 'selling out' to EA/Activision/THQ/Ubisoft. However, steam IS a content delivery service and has many useful tools for the indie developer to integrate, like a friends list, ingame chat, ingame voip, a firendslist 'blotter' of events, etc. which the indie developer can integrate into his game (steamworks) without needing to duplicate functionality.

To give an example: Teraria. It is an indie, self-labled, self-published game. The developer decided to release it on Steam as the content method (He originally got it sold on Impulse but it didn't do well there). Within the first week it sold over 200,000 units. It has almost continously dominated the Steam sales list at #1 or #2 spot since release (which is measured in sales revenue, not units sold, so the 10$ game is outselling most new 50-60 dollar games).

Valve sees a very small percentage of the profits from Teraria, the developer sees almost all of it, minus the fees for digital distribution on steam. Valve profits from it ala ebay or paypal, skimming percentage off of units sold for hosting the download service.

This is completely different than, say, EA aquiring the company for 1 million dollars so that they could publish it under the EA label.

Besides all that, what is wrong with releasing under a content delivery service that you don't have to pay for the bandwidth for hosting, where you don't have to reinvent the wheel with a social networking service (looking at you battlelog and IWNet, although they got most of IWNet to work through Steam) when the content delivery service includes one with it (Impulse doesn't really have one per say, to say nothing of the original EADownloader). Also, a content delivery service that at any given time has 1-3.5 million people logged in.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                              <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                              DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X