Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps are the life blood of any game.

Just something to think about.

1942 shipped with 16 maps... none of which were pure infantry. All but 5 had planes. And after time they added 3 free bonus maps 2 of which had planes and free bonus equipment.

BF2 had 12 maps 8 of which had planes. None were pure infantry. They later added 3 free maps 2 of which had planes.

So I wonder how many conquest maps we will see and how many of those will have large amount of vehicles including air. I expect/require a similar formula for BF3 but when looking at home many rush maps we saw with BC2 and how few were conquest... it leaves me wondering what we will really see. I know... I know... we are told this is a true sequel to BF2 but so far everything we have seen including the MP action has all been very Bad Co 2ish...
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Re: Maps are the life blood of any game.

The most popular maps in BF2, if you looked at a server list, were consistently "infantry" maps (Karkand, Sharqi, Mashtuur City). Not even taking BC2 into consideration, it would be easy to understand why they'd want to add more "city maps" to the balance in BF3.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I think it would be in all of our best interest to have at least 2 jets per side on every map. :)

Comment

Everytime I've fired up vanilla BF2 in recent years and played an air map, I'm quickly reminded why I leaned toward playing maps without jets. If only one side has a decent pilot, the round is pretty much dominated by it as anti-air emplacements are useless. A piece of armor on Oman for instance was lucky if it could move 50 meters before the next barrage of bombs was dropped.

I can appreciate why some of you are excited about the return of jets, I hope you can also appreciate why some of us aren't.

Comment

The excitement for jets is more because your flying a virtual jet(!) not because they were overpowered in vanilla bf2. Ideally they will get the balance right this time and have better AA options(like poe2!) that jets will just be another part of the food chain and not always at the top.
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

The big problem with BF2 was the lack of AA options (as Mantis stated). Even in POE2 the stationary AA was a death trap because every skilled pilot already knew exactly where they were on every map and could easily use the map to figure out if it was occupied and then bomb it back to the stone age. Mobile AA helps and the hand held pick-up kits in POE2 really helped level the playing field. I hope DICE keeps it in mind. They were thoughtful enough after BF2 to include an AA unlock in 2142. Used correctly, the SAAW of 2142 kept even the best pilots honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Tllyx View Post
              I think it would be in all of our best interest to have at least 2 jets per side on every map. :)
              You can have a dozen jets per side, IF the AA is effective!! If it is like vanilla BF2, then you only get one per hour! :P

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
              Everytime I've fired up vanilla BF2 in recent years and played an air map, I'm quickly reminded why I leaned toward playing maps without jets. If only one side has a decent pilot, the round is pretty much dominated by it as anti-air emplacements are useless.

I can appreciate why some of you are excited about the return of jets, I hope you can also appreciate why some of us aren't.
              The useless AA from vanilla was the reason Karkand and the other maps without jets were so popular. I too am skeptical about the jets returning to the series after they have been an unused element for so long. Even then, they were never really fair, even for the pilots in them. I hope they have put a lot of testing into their return to the battlefield.

Wasnt there an earlier patch for BF2, where the AA suddenly worked too well and was then nerfed back the same week?
              theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
              E Pluribus Unum
              Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
              Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                The big problem with BF2 was the lack of AA options (as Mantis stated). Even in POE2 the stationary AA was a death trap because every skilled pilot already knew exactly where they were on every map and could easily use the map to figure out if it was occupied and then bomb it back to the stone age. Mobile AA helps and the hand held pick-up kits in POE2 really helped level the playing field. I hope DICE keeps it in mind. They were thoughtful enough after BF2 to include an AA unlock in 2142. Used correctly, the SAAW of 2142 kept even the best pilots honest.
                I had wanted AA and light vehicles to not show on the mini map but got vetoed.

Comment

That would have been nice greasy especially with more than one emplacement per flag. Deployable/requestable emplacements would be tops.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

It's likely there will be a good split between smaller, more urban maps and larger open field maps. I also think it's probable that there will be only a few maps with two seater bombers, as they elicited the most complaints in bf2. I'm cynical as far as air assets go from years of.. experience with the PR community at large, but I suspect that dice are likely to have strayed on the infantry side of map design to allow more oohing and aahing over frostbyte 2's new effects.

Though, and I think many of you can find yourselves agreeing, it'll be quite the experience to tracertag a tank and have a jet come by and deal with it, especially if it's on a map like Sharqi or Karkand, in the middle of a city.

Comment

The most popular maps in the Desert Combat mod had heavy infantry emphasis...

1. Lost Village
                      The Coalition had Black Hawks but the alleyways were so tight and RPGs so prevalent that flying was a deathtrap. Most walked or supermanned/HALOed in. You LASLOed if you were brave enough.

2. Basra Nights
                      The de_dust of Desert Combat. Pure infantry. Two jeeps only. Every flag cappable. At least 4 ways into every flag. I miss that map.

3. Road to Basra
                      The Coalition had a Black Hawk, a Little Bird, and an APC. Opposition had a APC and a walled city to hide behind.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Comment

Yrs but the 1942 maps like Gaza and El al were also super popular.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X