Clear All

• BF3 Alpha gameplay impressions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfeOo...er_profilepage

BF3? Heh, more like BC3.

Re: Alpha gameplay

It sure looks and sounds like BC3.

Comment

Hey, better BC3 than Call of Warfare 3: The Quest For the Highest Grossing FPS Clone

Also, I'm not quite so sure how you guys can take to being critical about it.
      First: it's ALPHA, which means that its the roughest possible cut of what the game will actually be like.
      Second: theres no indicator of what size maps or how many people are playing. I didnt see a scoreboard once in the whole video. these could very well be the 16 player maps we're seeing with far fewer than that many players actually in-game, so all of the action is condensed in a very small area. it's already been said that many of the maps will be larger than BF2 maps (which makes them larger than BC2 maps by default), so we're obviously not seeing the full scale.
      Third: it was a video montage made by a guy obviously intending to make a frag video and nothing else. Zero commentary, zero substance.

Sorry, but I'm going to hold my judgment until I see something substantial to base it on, which will probably be when I get hands-on with the beta.

Comment

I watched a few videos of the alpha gameplay not just the one Zhohar posted and it does look and sound a lot like BC2, Rush mode, same hud with minor differences, same mcom icons, same mcom alarm, same voice overs with foul language, single button knife kill, 4 man squads.
        I know this is the Alpha stage but I doubt much will change as they are mostly testing the backend stuff (servers etc). Then it will go to BETA stage and not much will change after that just like not much changed after the BC2 BETA.

IMHO, This is supposed to be the next in the series of Battlefiled games (BC2 was a spin-off), when you create a new game in the series you do not loose features or dumb them down, you keep the functionality and improve on it, all I have seen is DICE re-using assets from BC2 and putting them into BF3, if anything they should be re-using assets from BF2 and improving on them.

I still have my fingers crossed that they will deliver a great game and I am looking forward to playing some conquest when the BETA starts.
        Last edited by MrMojay; 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Here's how I see it. BF3 has been in development for a long time now....the concepts, vehicles, etc... BC2 was released as a "demo" to test the frostbite engine at the stage they had it....later on they released a mappack with larger "BF" style maps...much larger than the originals. Now they know it's good to go. So they start implementing design into BF3.....why would you not make the asset similar? it's tested and proven. Is it really that big a deal that the MCOMM in BC2 resembles the BF3 MCOMM?..."oh heavens". The sound I heard in the alpha was without a doubt much better than BC2 sound(which won awards). The knife killl button?...its already been said that there is quick use AND an equip slot for the knife. It's going to look similar.....IT'S FROSTBITE. Was anyone really expecting both games built on the same engine to look completely different? Granted BF3 is a higher version of frostbite.....it's still frostbite. I like the new hud....very minimal but gives you all the info you need....not sure what people were wanting with it?
          At the end of the day it has traits similar to BC2......which it should, BC2 was a test bed for it. I have no doubt that the feel of the game will be BF and not BC2, even though it may look similar.
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
            Here's how I see it. BF3 has been in development for a long time now....the concepts, vehicles, etc... BC2 was released as a "demo" to test the frostbite engine at the stage they had it....later on they released a mappack with larger "BF" style maps...much larger than the originals. Now they know it's good to go. So they start implementing design into BF3.....why would you not make the asset similar? it's tested and proven. Is it really that big a deal that the MCOMM in BC2 resembles the BF3 MCOMM?..."oh heavens". The sound I heard in the alpha was without a doubt much better than BC2 sound(which won awards). The knife killl button?...its already been said that there is quick use AND an equip slot for the knife. It's going to look similar.....IT'S FROSTBITE. Was anyone really expecting both games built on the same engine to look completely different? Granted BF3 is a higher version of frostbite.....it's still frostbite. I like the new hud....very minimal but gives you all the info you need....not sure what people were wanting with it?
            At the end of the day it has traits similar to BC2......which it should, BC2 was a test bed for it. I have no doubt that the feel of the game will be BF and not BC2, even though it may look similar.
            Practically took the words right out of my mouth. Wait for the game to be released, then judge...
            A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

I thought it felt more like MOH then BC2 TBH^^

Not saying that's a bad thing (Even tho I hated MOH)

I did however hear 3 different Swedish accents + some random languages so I'm hoping for a working VOIP.
              Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                it's already been said that many of the maps will be larger than BF2 maps (which makes them larger than BC2 maps by default), so we're obviously not seeing the full scale.
                I would take the claim of "biggest maps ever" with a grain of salt. They may very well mean that the maps are very long and narrow. Also Operation Metro(the map in the video) has been described as a "big" map. My current expectation is for the majority of maps to be similar to BC2 maps in playstyle with a few larger more open maps similar to those of BF2. Those may even have choke points across them as the larger maps have been said to need flow(some way to keep the action constant). I would love to see overviews of some other maps if you guys have any, though.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I really could care less if they re-use the sounds from BC2. Also I never judge alpha info, a game is the sum of its parts and in alpha (and even beta to some extent) its just too rough to make assumptions.

Comment

New Official Multiplayer BF3 Trailer: http://battlefieldo.com/new-official...r-bf3-trailer/
                    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

This is a promotional (rush mode) action packed video aimed at COD type of play crowd. We have not seen a conquest mode yet and we might not see it until the release day since probably Operation Metro will be the map featured in Beta testing.
                      sigpic

Comment

It does look like BC3 from what they are showing us. But that is 32 player Rush, of course it does. What was EA thinking, putting Rush in BF3 in the first place, they should have saved it all for BC3. They are trying to appeal to everyone I guess. I don't see myself playing much Rush anyways, I want the 64 player CQ sandbox, where I expect maps at least as big as we saw in BF2/2142

Comment

"Saved it" for BC3? Is there a limited amount of Rush to go around that I'm not aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrogg View Post
                            "Saved it" for BC3? Is there a limited amount of Rush to go around that I'm not aware of?
                            Please, you know what Bear means. If you have a gamemode that´s specific for one game, how about keeping it like that and come up with new stuff for other games?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bear61 View Post
                              It does look like BC3 from what they are showing us. But that is 32 player Rush, of course it does. What was EA thinking, putting Rush in BF3 in the first place, they should have saved it all for BC3. They are trying to appeal to everyone I guess. I don't see myself playing much Rush anyways, I want the 64 player CQ sandbox, where I expect maps at least as big as we saw in BF2/2142
                              Can I get an AMEN!
                              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X