BF3 commo rose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF3 commo rose

I have read several comments on blogs from alpha testers that the comma rose is not there.....sad panda. no more "enemy boat spotted" when your on land :D
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: BF3 commo rose

Here's a faint glimmer of hope....but it may be he's trying to get someone to stop annoying him.

http://twitter.com/#!/L_Twin/status/94478963430277120

Comment

It's not in Alpha, but supposedly it's still being discussed by the devs.

Comment

Discussed 3 months from release?

That seems like a short development period unless they already have it working and can't decide if they want to include it.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I imagine it would be pretty easy to include, 3 months is plenty of long time.

Comment

If they have another method then it is time to show their hand. Their reasoning for not including it in the first place when most people want it is rather weak. So I don't understand the real reason it is such an internal debate.
            Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
              I imagine it would be pretty easy to include, 3 months is plenty of long time.
              Not when it needs to go to manufacturing 1 month before release; and it needs to go to QA 1 month before manufacturing; 1 month is not a lot of time for design and integrating art, gui, and back-end stuff. :D

Comment

Well I am working on the assumption that they already have it but may not be including it until they conclude the "discussions" they are having. I think it's a no brainer and it should be in, but I don't work for EA.....:(

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                  Not when it needs to go to manufacturing 1 month before release; and it needs to go to QA 1 month before manufacturing; 1 month is not a lot of time for design and integrating art, gui, and back-end stuff. :D
                  Heh it doesn't "go to QA 1 month before release". Full QA starts waaaay before 1 month before release, and they always test in parallel with development.

For PC games, the timelines are looser because there is no First Party certification cycle (unless your game is a Games For Windows LIVE game). There can be only 2 weeks from the point where the final build is approved/send to replicators and the release date. Manufacturing doesn't take very long.

But since this is a multi-platform game, chances are the PC timeline is in sync with the console versions (at least as far as feature lock goes, PC might have a few more weeks of bug fixing, which is usually needed since there is always PC-specific bugs like compatibility, etc), which need to have a QA-approved, final build at minimum a month before release, so there is very little time left at this point to add features, unless the commo rose is only added to the PC version (which would make sense).

Comment

I is dissapointed in DICE :(
                    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

PC games receive content paches though. I wouldn't be surprised if BF3 patched it in. The only hard part would be new features like way points. Forcing an audio call for ammo or health wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Comment

Audio cues for health and ammo are already in as you can clearly see from the videos that are released (and BC2...). Combined with the same BC2 style overhead icons for health/ammo, I don't see a need for on-demand ammo/health cues at all.

Waypoints and maybe something like 'Go go go' would be the only thing I could see being useful.

Not sure where they would place it though (on the keyboard I mean). Q has essentially become a context-sensitive commo rose... everything you could do with the commo rose in BF2, you can do with Q in BC2. You can ask for pickups, repairs, etc. At this point, waypoints become an entirely new feature, not really something that has regressed since BF2 (since it wasn't there in the first place).

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrogg View Post
                          Audio cues for health and ammo are already in as you can clearly see from the videos that are released (and BC2...). Combined with the same BC2 style overhead icons for health/ammo, I don't see a need for on-demand ammo/health cues at all.

Waypoints and maybe something like 'Go go go' would be the only thing I could see being useful.

Not sure where they would place it though (on the keyboard I mean). Q has essentially become a context-sensitive commo rose... everything you could do with the commo rose in BF2, you can do with Q in BC2. You can ask for pickups, repairs, etc. At this point, waypoints become an entirely new feature, not really something that has regressed since BF2 (since it wasn't there in the first place).
                          Well for starters there is a difference between 'needing' and 'wanting' health/ammo/repairs. If I can see that somebody needs it I can try to run to them and help them out but they may have other plans... like running in the other direction or something. But when they want it and can ask for it then I know it is worth the effort to try and reach them. Q allows for a quick "MEDIC!" call instead of having to look around and spot a medic. I cannot count how many times I have tried to help a fellow teammate only to have them run off on me while exposing myself to enemy fire. The worst is as an engie and the tank driving off as I run to repair it when it was obvious he NEEDED the repair but apparently he did not want it or we were not able to quickly communicate each others intentions.

Also waypoints are awesome but NOT all waypoints are flag points. If I am leading a squad I may want to take a tactical position outside a flag to deny an enemy a route or gain a good firing position. I am going to want to mark the mini map so my squad can see. What would be even NICER would be if the other squads could see what orders I have given my squad so they can think... 'ok squad Delta is holding that spot there, we will move elsewhere.'

BF2 had it right and it needs expanding on, not simplified.
                          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

If I'm already hurt and I'm near a medic he won't call out immediately. Don't get me wrong I like the context sensitive changes. But still whenever my character calls out for health and ammo automatically he almost never receives it. It works out that I have a Mic and am able to ask for a resupply or med kit when I need one. (Another reason why VOIP is a necessity). However I played with plenty of mute BF players in the past and having the ability to manually ask for these things through the game without a mic was invaluable. It doesn't have to be a comma rose. I'm used to navigating Source game style menus. X2 for Medic! C4 for Charge.

Audio cues in game are brilliant, limiting their use is a mistake IMHO.

Comment

The problem with the context-sensitive "medic" or "need ammo" callouts are that if I can see a medic to 'q' on him and ask for help, chances are he can see me, and therefore he can see the big "this person is injured" cross above my head. So calling for a medic becomes somewhat unnecessary, as he'll go "ooh, points!" and charge over to heal me.
                              It's when I can't see a medic that being able to call for one is really needed.
                              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X