• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dev work from the alpha

Found this interesting from Demize's twitter posts today :D

"
    Demize99 Alan Kertz
    Yes ladies and gents, the Alpha Trial is over. Thats why Battlelog is closed. Lots of feedback, working on all of it. (3D spotting cough)"

and

"Demize99 Alan Kertz
    Picked up a package and some groceries. Dropped em off at home, now back to finish BF3! New Holosights are much improved. :)"

"Demize99 Alan Kertz
    @
    @francisLfourD The alpha is over. Stay tuned for beta news."

*EDIT....Jeepo Ninja'd me in another thread.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: Dev work from the alpha

Good post, will move my stuff here for reference:

@Demize99
    Alan Kertz
    @verteru A very small audience, fantastically executed. A perfect mod basically.
    According to twitter, they have also toned down the glint on the sniper optics to be less obvious, and have adjusted bipods. For the sniper rifles, that mean zero sway unless suppressed, for the LMG's, less recoil but more drift.

He also confirmed what many suspected, that you will need battlelog in your browser before you can play the game. Looks like a whole new way to start games coming............

Demize99 Alan Kertz
    @
    @ChrisSchewanick Battelog is an integral feature to the Battlefield 3 experience on the PC.

Comment

I like the battlelog idea and I hope they add in server queues like in Bad Company 2. I think the battlelog system has a few advantages with the downside being the memory footprint of having a browser open while playing (something common on my computer anyway). I hope that there's server-based VOIP channels you can join too (think of dropping yourself into a squad/squad leader comm channel in the server browser or something) and that they introduce a method to configure VOIP channels from within the game (alt-tabbing to setup squad channels when people leave/join is stupid).

Comment

Not a fan of battlelog. It is not aesthetically pleasing at all, plus I hate the idea of forming VOIP groups for squads (which you have to do before the round starts - which hopefully they address).

Comment

that is my concern with the battlelog. what do you do if your squad has people coming and going....which is not uncommon. It also divides us a bit...say we want to do a "learn TG" squad like 2142....we have to alt+tab, add whoever joins the squad, then alt+tab back into came....could get pretty annoying. But I can't believe they would develop this game this far without considering that and seeing it's cumbersome to use. I will keep the faith and bet they have a way of integrating it from within the game.
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Well I believe they MIGHT not really care Ven. My concerns are like yours about Voip.

If you do a learn TG squad, do you have to add the random pubby to your friend list before you drag them into a browser voip channel to play with? It's very flakey, and a huge step back. I really hope they have simple squad voip in game like in BF2 and 2142 etc, squad lock ability, squad name ability, and squad kick ability. We shall see..............

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
              Demize99 Alan Kertz
              Yes ladies and gents, the Alpha Trial is over. Thats why Battlelog is closed. Lots of feedback, working on all of it. (3D spotting cough)"
              What I liked about the 3D spotting is that the triangle was positioned differently than it was in BC2, instead of getting a free kill you only got and indication where the enemy was, but I am guessing that it will be toned down a bit. I like that, I'd rather get a hint on the enemies location and not a "I'm here" arrow following them.

As for Battlelog I don't really care for it, it seems to just another possible problem source.
              VOIP will be a more "integral" part of the experience in my opinion, it should just be there ready to work when a new squad mate joins or I join a squad.
              "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Originally posted by Lien View Post
                What I liked about the 3D spotting is that the triangle was positioned differently than it was in BC2, instead of getting a free kill you only got and indication where the enemy was, but I am guessing that it will be toned down a bit. I like that, I'd rather get a hint on the enemies location and not a "I'm here" arrow following them.

As for Battlelog I don't really care for it, it seems to just another possible problem source.
                VOIP will be a more "integral" part of the experience in my opinion, it should just be there ready to work when a new squad mate joins or I join a squad.
                Actually...it only took me about an hour to figure out where the players' body was in relation to the triangle over their head. I am going to assume we will have this setting turned off on our server, like BC2 (which is a good thing).

Back to battlelog - I hope to god the beta and beyond does not launch in that windowed mode and never truly goes full screen (ie. you can see the top and bottom windows bars).

Comment

Originally posted by Unload View Post
                  Back to battlelog - I hope to god the beta and beyond does not launch in that windowed mode and never truly goes full screen (ie. you can see the top and bottom windows bars).
                  You could make it fullscreen bud.

Comment

Regarding 3D spotting - I found it very easy to adjust to it. The triangle seemed to be higher above the target than in BC2, but within a few minutes I'd realised this.
                    Regarding Battlelog - it wasn't as awful as I'd expected it to be, however, it was still pretty bad. As KnyghtMare said, the memory usage of a browser could be a bit of a problem.
                    Regarding VOIP - surely they learned their lesson from BC2? Surely?
                    If squad VOIP has to be set up outside of the game, then the only appropriate response is this.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

So you had to actually Alt+Tab out to get to the battlelog? I didn't have the Alpha :(

I would have thought they would have used something more similar to steam with their Shift+Tab, that interface is very easy to pop out of the game to chat to someone and pop back in the game.

I am thinking of all the people that had issues Alt+Tabbing in BC2 and 2142, so much there were directions set up on how to move TS channels with keyboard shortcuts just to avoid Atl+Tabbing.
                      Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                        So you had to actually Alt+Tab out to get to the battlelog? I didn't have the Alpha :(

I would have thought they would have used something more similar to steam with their Shift+Tab, that interface is very easy to pop out of the game to chat to someone and pop back in the game.

I am thinking of all the people that had issues Alt+Tabbing in BC2 and 2142, so much there were directions set up on how to move TS channels with keyboard shortcuts just to avoid Atl+Tabbing.
                        No you could look in to battle log from in game as well, i am not certain now but i think i used shift+tab to pull up console on top and bottom of the screen to see who else is online, chat etc.

The 3D spotting triangle was position a little higher than in BC2 and when its combined with hit marker detection its just too much. One of these has to go, preferably 3D spotting.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
                          No you could look in to battle log from in game as well, i am not certain now but i think i used shift+tab to pull up console on top and bottom of the screen to see who else is online, chat etc.
                          That was Origin you were pulling up. (shift+F1)
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Right (shift+F1), did not realized it was Origin. Thanks Mantis.
                            sigpic

Comment

Some more Dev updates:

According to Alan Kertz (Demize99) regarding Helath Regeneration:

Its slower now, partial was tried and just felt weird. Also being suppressed now prevents health regen.
                              You can still drop a med kit when suppressed to heal however.

Also it appears you will not be able to change your ingame nickname. It is linked to your Origin name, so either you make a brand new account before buying/downloading/installing the game, or you are stuck with your old ea nickname:

hi @zh1nt0 , short question:Will it still be possible in BF3 to freely choose your ingame nick(soldiername),like it has been with BFBC2? thx
                              Official Reply:

your name is linked to your origin persona

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...