Origin woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin woes

“If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use.”
    RPS Link

Link #2

[spoilers]:D[/spoilers]... no spoiler tags? lame.

Re: Origin woes

really don't see the issue? All you have to do is log in once over a 2 yr period. You have to log into Origin to play BF anyways....
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

This is why I don't like downloading games. I've always wondered what would happen if that service goes bankrupt, how do I get to play my games if one day they are just gone?

I'm sure there are games I haven't played for two years or more then felt like digging out the old disk and putting it in for a quick play (Redneck Rampage and Doom95 come to mind)
      Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
        This is why I don't like downloading games. I've always wondered what would happen if that service goes bankrupt, how do I get to play my games if one day they are just gone?

I'm sure there are games I haven't played for two years or more then felt like digging out the old disk and putting it in for a quick play (Redneck Rampage and Doom95 come to mind)
        It's unfortunate but a lot of the same risk applies to games that you own discs for these days too. Things like "always on" DRM, even with music files DRM gets in the way and once those servers are shut off you can no longer play your game/listen to your media. Sucky suckfest.

Comment

Originally posted by KnyghtMare View Post
          It's unfortunate but a lot of the same risk applies to games that you own discs for these days too. Things like "always on" DRM, even with music files DRM gets in the way and once those servers are shut off you can no longer play your game/listen to your media. Sucky suckfest.
          I knew there have been some concerns with DRM and some of them getting root access to you computer, but I didn't realize there was a connection to a server that could be shut down and I couldn't play. :(

Time to rise up and burn some places down then :)
          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Update from EA:
            http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...ount-deletion/

"No Origin user who has paid entitlements and/or downloaded games will have their account cancelled or games expired due to extended non-use. The term regarding account cancellation for non-use is designed to guard against creation of non-active accounts for inappropriate reasons."
            Seems like it was a poorly-worded safeguard.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I believe their support for Origin will be fine when BF3 comes around.
              This is their flagship software to compete with Steam.
              If their release with BF3 does not go well, people will remember.
              Also, let's not forget Steam wasn't always the best. Origin will hopefully learn quicker.

Comment

It is still going to be annoying having to use both steam as a messenger and origins to actually get to play BF3 (because of the simple fact that steam includes almost all games and their subsequent players, and origins only EA, so more people will be on steam). I wonder if there will be any .exe file that we can launch using steam, as that would make the whole experience better.

I also love the fact that my EA account may suddenly disappear some day if say I am working in a country without any internet access for 2 years. Good job EA.

Former TG-21st
                Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                  I also love the fact that my EA account may suddenly disappear some day if say I am working in a country without any internet access for 2 years. Good job EA.
                  Did you read the article I posted above? EA say that it's only a precaution, and that they won't be deleting inactive accounts unless they're being used for fraudulent/illegal behaviour.
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                    It is still going to be annoying having to use both steam as a messenger and origins to actually get to play BF3 (because of the simple fact that steam includes almost all games and their subsequent players, and origins only EA, so more people will be on steam). I wonder if there will be any .exe file that we can launch using steam, as that would make the whole experience better.

That exe may work, but Origin has to be on in order to launch Battelog, where you can then launch BF3.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                      Update from EA:

Seems like it was a poorly-worded safeguard.
                      Looks like whoever wrote the document failed to include the reasoning. Guy should have a nice long chat with someone important higher up. :)

Originally posted by MacLeod
                      I don't think it'll be that bad. Hell, I have several messaging clients running in the background as is. They include: Xfire, Steam, Origin, Skype, and Pidgin (connected to Messenger, GTalk, and Yahoo). Just another background program. If most of your friends are already on one client, you're probably going to continue to use that client to message them anyways, whether or not the game you want to play is on Origin.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I turn off Steam if I'm using Origin. Just makes my life easier.
                        Skud

Comment

I know that steam had problems in the past, but it gives me no problems now. The way I see it is that if you bring in a new service, it has to be better than the original. (as good + reason to switch). I dont think many people are expecting that from EA.

|TG| Buletproof_Bob

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that EA and steam are still trying to workout a deal to get it on steam, Because both companies know that if it isnt on steam, it will lose some sales. Also, i really dont see the point of deleting an account that hasent been on in 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_ View Post
                              I remember reading somewhere that EA and steam are still trying to workout a deal to get it on steam, Because both companies know that if it isnt on steam, it will lose some sales. Also, i really dont see the point of deleting an account that hasent been on in 2 years.
                              It's to prevent spam registrations and then those accounts being used as zombie accounts for nefarious purposes. If you have purchases on the account, it never gets deleted (read the posts above).

I'm surprised EA didn't make it 3 months instead of 2 years. Gives those who want to missue a EA account so much time to do so.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X