Here's why bf3 is not on steam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's why bf3 is not on steam

Me personally....I hate steam, always had problems with it. But a lot of people are saying how terrible it is that EA is not using it for bf3.... well here's why

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7468888.page

sent by a large bird with a stone tablet....like the Flintstones
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: Here's why bf3 is not on steam

Still vague on what the problem really is and why EA is the only one that has the problem. And for the record I do not fully blame EA, I am sure Valve has their share of this blame as well. My guess for BF3 is it works much like a valve title and requires Origin instead of Steam to play and Valve does not like that. Nice find.
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

It's pretty simple. Valve does not allow publishers to sell DLC and distribute patches with their own system (such as in-game), it has to go through Steam so they get a cut, even if the content is hosted on the publisher's server.

EA is trying to cut the middleman in as many aspects of its business as possible, and deliver directly to the consumer. They can't do that with Steam.

I love all the 'well I won't get this if it isn't on Steam' comments. All I have to say is:

http://www.ubercharged.net/wp-conten...8035395841.jpg

Comment

I don't mind the Origin delivery system, it seems fine, and more competition is good, although in my experience so far Origin is more expensive than places like Steam and Amazon. However, that can be worked on so no biggie. What I don't like so far is having to use things like battlelog, and I really hope that doesn't filter into more games. But who knows, maybe I will grow to like it!

Comment

Sorry "Steamers". Like I predicted, EA and Steam won't play nice. Never have, prolly never will. I don't mind Origin, or Battlelog for that matter, AS LONG AS THEY WORK PROPERLY. It's good for Steam to have some competition anyways, we don't want any distributer getting too big. :)

Comment

I won't have a problem with Origin as long as they (EA) doesn't pull out the rug from under me on a few years old title by completely removing it from Origin, back history, their store, and all backend servers related to the game. They've already do that with quite a few games over the past few years. Thankfully these aren't games I own or play (mostly been slightly old -- meaning 2 years or less -- sports games). With today's games being almost completely online-based, it would be a rather waste of money if a short time later I can no longer play such a game because the developer/publisher decided to just stop supporting the game (including removing the master authentication server(s)).

In the '90s and early '00s when games didn't need online authentication to play, I wasn't worried as the entire game was there on disk and I could play it for the most part by my boring self. I just had no online servers to play on, but that's not that much of a biggie when the game is 5+ years old.

That sums up my fears with EA Origin. Perhaps others here share the a similar worry?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I purchased on origin because I figured it will be the least buggy way to receive a patch or dlc for a while. I hated having to worry about installation order voodoo you had to go through to install bf2 and bf2142 with all the patches and dlc/expansion packs. If it becomes avail on Steam I will grab a 2nd copy because I like having all my games in one portal.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrogg View Post
                It's pretty simple. Valve does not allow publishers to sell DLC and distribute patches with their own system (such as in-game), it has to go through Steam so they get a cut, even if the content is hosted on the publisher's server.

EA is trying to cut the middleman in as many aspects of its business as possible, and deliver directly to the consumer. They can't do that with Steam.

I love all the 'well I won't get this if it isn't on Steam' comments. All I have to say is:

http://www.ubercharged.net/wp-conten...8035395841.jpg
                Wait a minute, this is definitely not true. They sell Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on Steam and both of those games have DLC that I had to buy through Bioware's website using stupid 'Bioware points'. The issue, as far as I understand it, is not that Steam is demanding a cut, but that they are restricting games from being sold on their catalogue that have exclusive content that that cannot be played on the Steam version of the game. Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam because some other distributor had exclusive rights to some DLC. This is about quality control and ensuring that their customers will be satisfied with their purchase knowing that they won't be excluded from content that is only available from somewhere else.

BF3 not being on Steam is probably a combination of this policy and EA wanting to really push the Origin service hard. I don't have a problem with Steam competitors, I just don't trust EA to run a digital distribution service that looks out for their customers and caters to what they want.
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I think the BioWare DLC thing was an exception, because they were making you download an installer for each pack from completely outside of the game.

What I'm referring to is more like in-game stores that deliver the content directly to the consumer in a Steam-like way, but by bypassing Steam entirely. That's what Valve does not want.

Comment

If EA starts offering non-EA games at the steam sale prices on Origins, and offers the same/better simple friend functionality (not this facebook crap), and if Origins will launch non-EA games then I will admit that Origins is as effective as steam. Until that point, it will not be in my opinion, and I seriously doubt that EA will ever offer prices like you can find on steam unfortunately.

Also I agree with Acreo above that I love to play old games, and if EA chooses to stop service for games that can only be launched through Origins 5-10 years after their release then I will probably be pretty annoyed.

Also to end my little rant, a problem I do not like with both steam and probably origins is the fact that a game that can only be launched through them has to be bought multiple times if say my brother wants to play it at the same time. With a disc run game like Morrowind, I can have it running on four different computers at the same time just by using the CD to launch it on each, which obviously can not be done when you have to launch through a service.

Former TG-21st
                    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

I highly doubt the Steam sales are controlled entirely by Valve. The publishers choose to participate in them and set the price.

There's no reason why EA would not mirror the Steam sales for their own games on Origin.

Comment

Hmm, Games for Windows does not sell content through Steam, it goes directly to consumer from inside the game. Anyway, I don't really care. I just hate having to pay an extra $5 bucks for tax on Origin.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                          Wait a minute, this is definitely not true. They sell Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on Steam and both of those games have DLC that I had to buy through Bioware's website using stupid 'Bioware points'. The issue, as far as I understand it, is not that Steam is demanding a cut, but that they are restricting games from being sold on their catalogue that have exclusive content that that cannot be played on the Steam version of the game. Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam because some other distributor had exclusive rights to some DLC. This is about quality control and ensuring that their customers will be satisfied with their purchase knowing that they won't be excluded from content that is only available from somewhere else.

BF3 not being on Steam is probably a combination of this policy and EA wanting to really push the Origin service hard. I don't have a problem with Steam competitors, I just don't trust EA to run a digital distribution service that looks out for their customers and caters to what they want.
                          Voodoo has a point. It's not because Steam doesn't allow DLCs and such because it has to go through their system, they just don't like exclusitivity. If you're going to sell on Steam, the game you sell on Steam shouldn't be gimped in a future DLC because you bought it on a different digital distributor platform. That sounds completely fair to the end user (us paying customers).

Besides, I'm fairly sure EA is the one to blame here mostly. They're pretty vague with their explanation as to why it's not being put on Steam when it's being offered by several other digital distributors.

Originally posted by Kilrogg
                          What I'm referring to is more like in-game stores that deliver the content directly to the consumer in a Steam-like way, but by bypassing Steam entirely. That's what Valve does not want.
                          Uh, you mean like Gamestop offering a digital version of games sold at their stores (this is before they acquired Impulse)?

I'm not seeing the difference between what you wrote and how Voodoo responded.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Anyone think that the OP is obtuse PR BS?
                            Because I can't understand a word forward or backward there.

Comment

I actually like Origin. I don't like having my library split up among several platforms but I do like the interface. Friends list in the actual client and not a free floating window? Thank you! EA makes plenty of money and knowing how much of a cut Steam gets it's acceptable to get the sales figures they want.

Steam hosts the games, the games get patched with DLC included, game has in game store to turn on said features. Kudos to Steam for realizing what's going on. The DLC is not hosted from other servers and always has to pass through Steam's hands, why don't they deserve a nominal fee for providing it?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X