The whole browser plugin thing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whole browser plugin thing

I am following the discussions about game features closely, but I trust DICE to deliver an enjoyable BF experience that will keep me entertained at least for some hours ;)

However I am having a whole different issue with how BF3 will work: the browser plugin required to launch MP matches.

I can't figure out why they are going down this route. Having a browser plugin to launch BF3, provide VOIP and possible "enhance" the Battlelog service in various ways.
    They must see that it's gonna be a big hassle down the road keeping the plugin updated for all browsers (whichever they choose to support). I just updated to Firefox 6 and the BF Heroes and BF P4F plugins are outdated and won't work. Will I be unable to use BF3/Battlelog with cutting edge browser versions?

I find it intrusive. I don't want this stuff in my browser quite possibly having a bad effect on stability and security. Plus it's gonna load with the browser, clogging up resources even when I just want to surf.

What could be their reasoning?
    - They don't have to build a front-end, server browser and settings screen into the game if it's all handled in the browser. But wouldn't including a webkit-engine into the game provide the same features, while being less intrusive and easier to maintain?
    - access Battlelog from anywhere. I guess basic Battlelog features will be available without plugin and I won't be launching BF3 on my iPhone anyway
    - Community building. Shouldn't this be happening in Origin, so I don't have to add friends for every other game? Maybe it's tied into Origin. Does that mean I have to install browser plugins for every other game that's coming with Battlelogesque features?

I regard playing games and surfing the web as separate activities. The browser as my "private space" is now intruded by a game launcher I do not feel belongs there and will cause trouble. Game developers usually don't build features that are exposed to the web and I do not trust them to secure their plugins against malicious attacks from the web. Just look at Adobe Flash, Acrobat or Java: if you don't patch them every month chances are you are already infected with drive-by malware. Even Winamp might be used to compromise your computer. Now we are adding another piece of software to that list.

Not happy about it. Apart from that, I believe BF3 will rock :)
    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Re: The whole browser plugin thing

I am curious to know how many CPU cycles/cores and memory bandwidth Battlelog will utilize while it is updating stats per second and streaming real time audio in the background while the game is playing?

Yes BF3 Will Rock, but it is not getting my money till I know Voip works as simple as it should Work, press a button and talk, Automate that puppy?
    Last edited by MrMojay; 08-20-2011, 12:30 AM. Reason: Immigrant song ROCKS! Ramble on finishes it of nicely, but what would I know?, I need a whole lotta luv!

Comment

Sigh... this again.

In regards to keeping it up-to-date: Mozilla are to blame for you current problem. They have switched their version numbering and release schedule to be incredibly stupid. Basically, use chrome.

In regards to resources: when bf3 isn't running and you aren't on the battlelog site it isn't using resources. The plugin hasn't been invoked. Thinking that it would be using resources is the same as thinking flash is using resources in your browser before you load a website that has flash on it. And, unless you're using Firefox, browsers don't eat _that many_ resources. If you're system is impacted by running a browser then maybe it just isn't cut out for BF3. Again, use chrome.

Also, there's no reason to think that putting the VOIP or any other feature into the game itself will make it more efficient. It won't.

The solution for VOIP is an interesting one, in my opinion. We don't know if it'll allow you to make channels automatically for squads BUT this way means you can join VOIP channels before you're even in-game and, even better, there's no more need to pay extra money to game server companies to have VOIP enabled.

I don't think it's updating battlelog stats every second. Even if it was 1 second in a computer is an incredibly long time. I don't think stats updates are anything to worry about really.

Final point: the fact that DICE are using a browser plugin means that there is a way for that plugin to talk to the game and for the game to talk back. This opens up many doors for development. They can, possibly, add new features to battlelog without us needing to download a patch for bf3. Hell, if they do it right, we'll get plugin updates when our browser launches.

Comment

Originally posted by KnyghtMare View Post
        Hell, if they do it right.
        Yup!
        Last edited by MrMojay; 08-20-2011, 01:19 AM. Reason: Mahahphhht 06:19 massive attack, man next door, bloody weirdo!!::@

Comment

there's no more need to pay extra money to game server companies to have VOIP enabled.
          Post of the year award already awarded to you, knyghtmare. Absolutely great point.

Battlelog is a big investment. I think it's cool that DICE/EA are trying to make voip doable but keeping the bandwidth on their end. Just an interesting point. Could be terrible in the long run, could be a great feature. Keep in mind that it's all being worked on constantly, will be able to be updated and improved constantly, etc. There are benefits to battlelog.
          Skud

Comment

@Demize99 commented on why they put Battlelog in the browser:
            Why Battlelog in a browser? Battlelog let's you check your stats, your friends, your feed from Any Where. Work, the toilet, the pub...
            Battlelog on the web also makes it easier for us to support you the players. We can build a better Server Browser on Battlelog.
            Finally, you can use all the features of Battlelog while playing via alt-tab. So you can check stats or browse servers in play (unlike BC2).
            It sure is a good idea to base Battlelog on web-technology, but I still think it could be integrated into the game (no plugin) while still allowing basic features to be accessed from a browser. My issue is not with how VOIP works but what problems, security and stability issues the plugin will bring along.
            former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

In regards to keeping it up-to-date: Mozilla are to blame for you current problem. They have switched their version numbering and release schedule to be incredibly stupid. Basically, use chrome.
              Ok, so Chrome works now, but in a years time, will it work then? Why do I need to be worried about what they might do to their browser in order to play a game a bought from DICE?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dawolf View Post
                I can't figure out why they are going down this route.
                Cynical answer? To sell you stuff. I'm nursing deep concern over the general push by all gaming companies to be "More Accessible" which in nearly every case, has turned out to mean attempt to integrate social services with gaming, and in Battlelog's case, the screenies I've seen are less about integrating and more like flat out copying facebook.

Assuming they can resist the immediate temptation to do sidebar and banner ads, they have the ability to force your BL feeds full of garbage and you have no option but to take it. This is EA however, and I am going to assume they won't be able to resist sidebar and banner ads, perhaps even full site makeovers to push other games.

What I fear most of all is some sort of monstrosity resembling TF2, with microtransactions, pay2win (or grind forever), and some sort of cosmetic gimmick that simply shuts down a portion of players.

Originally posted by @Demize99
                Why Battlelog in a browser? Battlelog let's you check your stats, your friends, your feed from Any Where. Work, the toilet, the pub...
                Battlelog on the web also makes it easier for us to support you the players. We can build a better Server Browser on Battlelog.
                Finally, you can use all the features of Battlelog while playing via alt-tab. So you can check stats or browse servers in play (unlike BC2).
                Crap like this doesn't build confidence in battlelog for me. What do you need your stats for at work? Why do you need your feed anywhere but where you're playing? Is it so you can show off to your buddies your gaming skillz? The last part of the comment really points out that dice are taking steps backward from BF2 on backend features. You could check stats, compare soldiers, just generally use the menu while the game was running. More importantly, THE GAME IS RUNNING, AND YOU'RE ALT TABBED FIDDLING WITH SETTINGS? Why are you wasting a player slot randomly checking other people's stats? If you really need to know, write their name down or friend them, don't waste everybody else's time.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
                  Cynical answer? To sell you stuff. I'm nursing deep concern over the general push by all gaming companies to be "More Accessible" which in nearly every case, has turned out to mean attempt to integrate social services with gaming, and in Battlelog's case, the screenies I've seen are less about integrating and more like flat out copying facebook.
                  It contains blue with a white background. It must be a carbon copy. Also, I'm all for the social side of gaming. I've worked hard to help break the cycle of perception that gamers are strictly obese man children with patchy facial hair and acne living in their mothers living off hot pockets. Anything they (the developers) can do to help people make friends while gaming is a positive move for the industry, not negative.

Assuming they can resist the immediate temptation to do sidebar and banner ads, they have the ability to force your BL feeds full of garbage and you have no option but to take it. This is EA however, and I am going to assume they won't be able to resist sidebar and banner ads, perhaps even full site makeovers to push other games.
                  I don't know anyone who does not use Adblock, so this does not make sense to me.

An EA service advertising other EA games? SAY IT AIN'T SO, sir. Other companies do it on their services on websites.

What I fear most of all is some sort of monstrosity resembling TF2, with microtransactions, pay2win (or grind forever), and some sort of cosmetic gimmick that simply shuts down a portion of players.
                  Aside from PURE aesthetics, nothing in TF2 costs the player ANYTHING unless the player WANTS to spend money.

So do you have a problem with Spec At kit from BC2? It's PURELY cosmetic, adds NO advantage, and is 110% optional.

Crap like this doesn't build confidence in battlelog for me. What do you need your stats for at work? Why do you need your feed anywhere but where you're playing? Is it so you can show off to your buddies your gaming skillz? The last part of the comment really points out that dice are taking steps backward from BF2 on backend features. You could check stats, compare soldiers, just generally use the menu while the game was running. More importantly, THE GAME IS RUNNING, AND YOU'RE ALT TABBED FIDDLING WITH SETTINGS? Why are you wasting a player slot randomly checking other people's stats? If you really need to know, write their name down or friend them, don't waste everybody else's time.
                  Why should we be afraid to share our hobbies with friends, family, and coworkers? I love sharing things with people.

It's 2011, I alt-tab all the time. It's not like it crashes games anymore for most people.
                  Skud

Comment

I think you guys are taking this personal. I dont see Battlelog being any different than being logged into steam while playing games. Back when we all had single core rigs that could not handle more than one thing a time, I certainly could not ALT-TAB out of 1942 on my original rig, not to mention run a bunch of other programs, including steam. Considering they are saying that you will have to have DirectX 10 to play, which means no more Windows XP. Maybe its time to upgrade, again.
                    And its not like steam isnt streaming information from their "store", until you get into a game, then it stops streaming/updating my games. EA/DICE is creating Battlelog to make it easier for gamers to get together with their friends, I seriously doubt they are doing it to sell you their other games, that is what Origin is for(which you will have to be logged into also!).

You may not be interested in live streaming stats, like myself (I dont care what my KDR is, nor which gun I need to get "Platinum out"). . .

but we are outnumbered by a thousand fold by the masses of lone-wolf players (those who have not been enlightened by the glory of playing with teamplayers) who do care if their stats are updated the second they log out from a gaming session.
                    (You ever see all the threads from players who lost one rounds worth of points because they got disconnected from the server? As if it was some conspiracy against them.)
                    It has been a constant problem with BC2's stats updating websites... the page I linked to above, at one time had a queue of 500, it has been increased to 5000 and it is still packed to the point that you often have to wait for your turn.

These sites give admins a great tool for looking at "suspicious players" stats... and Battlelog is taking over the job. If some new player shows up on the server, and starts off the round 15/0, the regulars instantly think there is something strange going on. But if you look up their stats, and they have a KDR that is normal, there is a good chance that they are just having a good round. It happens, even Old_Gunney has surprised us with outstanding rounds, last night I started a round 12/0 and ended 22/15:row__739:

Skud beat me to it, if they want to bring in micro-transactions to sell aesthetic items to those players who want them, let them. It gives them no advantage in gameplay, in fact, those players on my team who wear those SPEC-AT kits keep getting shot be me, because they dont look like the rest of the team.

I feel there are other concerns about Battlelog that are more important, like the VOIP concern . . . the whole adding friends while playing, so you can hear them . . . squads/platoons.
                    theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                    E Pluribus Unum
                    Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

After some "soul searching", I guess I'm just still wary of pushes for social gaming, in a kneejerk fashion. TG has a special player pool, and I'm keenly aware of the "I can lead a player to a great server, but if he doesn't want to play nice, all I did was make work for the admins" factor in play. The services EA is building, for whatever reason they're really building them, are so far as I can see, not so much aimed at team players as occasionally hitting them by accident along with everybody else.

I saw several communities, good, hard working, well admin'd servers just.. tank under the weight of the kind of crowd brought forth by the pay2enjoy hat trading crowds TF2 now caters to. They weren't TG caliber, but they were stable, even through the turbulent patches leading up to MannCo. I just don't want to see TG overrun with people who have absolutely no interest in the primer or any of how TG wants to play, even Wicks has a limit to the size of his patience. Even inducing apathy in the rest of the playerbase would be devastating.

Hope that didn't come across as trite or banal.

PS. Microtransaction purchased gear must hold some advantage in games, otherwise there's no reason to charge for it. It can be tiny, like a new skin that makes you harder to see in low light, or it can be big, like a new gun with crazy stats.

Comment

Btw, I think it's funny that people are bitching about Battlelog when it's the first and only time DICE has ever delivered a working server browser at launch lol.

Comment

We'll see if it works when there is 5000+ servers to list and a flood of players hammering it.;)
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
                            After some "soul searching", I guess I'm just still wary of pushes for social gaming, in a kneejerk fashion. TG has a special player pool, and I'm keenly aware of the "I can lead a player to a great server, but if he doesn't want to play nice, all I did was make work for the admins" factor in play. The services EA is building, for whatever reason they're really building them, are so far as I can see, not so much aimed at team players as occasionally hitting them by accident along with everybody else.

I saw several communities, good, hard working, well admin'd servers just.. tank under the weight of the kind of crowd brought forth by the pay2enjoy hat trading crowds TF2 now caters to. They weren't TG caliber, but they were stable, even through the turbulent patches leading up to MannCo. I just don't want to see TG overrun with people who have absolutely no interest in the primer or any of how TG wants to play, even Wicks has a limit to the size of his patience. Even inducing apathy in the rest of the playerbase would be devastating.

Hope that didn't come across as trite or banal.

PS. Microtransaction purchased gear must hold some advantage in games, otherwise there's no reason to charge for it. It can be tiny, like a new skin that makes you harder to see in low light, or it can be big, like a new gun with crazy stats.
                            Any item purchased in TF2 cannot be traded. It cannot be crafted with. It has no advantage over anyone else. All items, spare keys and paint can be obtained through random drops, playing, achievements, and crafting.

Originally posted by Kilrogg View Post
                            Btw, I think it's funny that people are bitching about Battlelog when it's the first and only time DICE has ever delivered a working server browser at launch lol.
                            Hopefully HTML5 based stuff handles everything as planned :)
                            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                              We'll see if it works when there is 5000+ servers to list and a flood of players hammering it.;)
                              It's all about how many web nodes they need in order to handle traffic at this point and I'm sure they'll figure that out during the beta.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X