Re-Post: Crux's Guide to Joining an In House Squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Post: Crux's Guide to Joining an In House Squad

I had posted this quite a while back for 2142, but the principles apply to any game. And given the number of IHS's that have sprung up over the last 2-3 years, this is probably more pertinent than ever. Hope it is helpful to some of you considering taking the leap...

So you just got your Supporting Membership, and an invite to join an IHS might be sitting in your inbox. This might make you start to wonder about the whole In House Squad system, and exactly what it means to you. The following is to hopefully point people in the right direction.

In House Squads are something of a 'clan within a clan' (not that TG is really a clan, but you get the idea). They are bands of close-knit teams that are a subset of the larger TG community. They tend to focus on one or two games very strongly, and frequently (but not always) enter competitions in their main game of choice.

Should you join the first IHS that comes along? Probably not. In fact, there is a very good chance at least half of the IHSs in TG aren't well suited for you (or perhaps aren't your ideal fit). Why is that?

Well, each IHS has its own personality (and often that personality is different from the public perception). Some are more laid back than others. They each tend to have their own playstyles. Many IHSs focus on specific things in-game (like TG-AIR for example). Some are more competitive than others. The key thing is finding the IHS that meets your needs as a player and a person.

So how should you proceed? For starters, talk to people. Specifically, contact the leader of any of the IHSs that you are interested in. They may or may not be recruiting, and you cannot always trust their wiki to be up to date. Most leaders of IHSs are happy to talk with players about their IHS and explain what they are about.

Secondly, try to schedule some playtime with them. Playing as a part of a close-knit team like this is very different from your normal play. Don't be so blown away by one squadding up that you rush to that IHS - try playing with a few of them and broaden your horizons a bit before making a final choice.

And lastly, ask questions. The thought of joining an IHS can be exciting to some people and they tend to rush in. Waiting a few days won't kill you - the IHSs will all still be there. You don't have to take the first invite that comes along, or the last. Find the fit that is right for you, and you'll be far far happier in the long run!

Having said that, feel free to ask me any questions if you have them
    TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Re: Re-Post: Crux's Guide to Joining an In House Squad

This is a fantastic post and I think it should also be posted into the General Discussion as well.

I know that the Irregular Arma Platoon's wiki is consistently up to date. I always encouraging our potential recruits and members to go and visit our wiki so that they get a better understanding of who we are and the goals and directions that I and the platoon are taking. Yes, granted some of the stuff on our wiki is fluff, but I try and incorporate as much healthy information as I can, such as events that we hold, training schedules so that they passer by can gauge our activity and our platoons SOPs.

I also like to tag stuff that I update with time stamps so the passer by can see that it is not a stagnant place like you said some might be. I really like the wiki and believe that it doesn't get used enough, especially in Arma's case where there is substantial set ups and config s and the like. Though I would really like to see embedded videos, b/c some our my platoon members have made "training" videos and I have an educational section that I like to keep all of our resources in.

But to end this long winded rant. I feel that the wiki should be the first place you send someone who is thinking about joining an IHS, then proceed onto the other steps as you have suggested!

Great Re-Post!!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Thanks for posting it. As a new person here, the IHS system was one of the things that really helped get me excited about the TG community. And while I'm still in the stage before choosing an IHS (seeing how I mesh with the community and deciding if it's worth it for me to become an SM) its still good advice to keep in mind.

Comment

I'd also say the Irregs are a great IHS for new people that are unsure what squad is best for them, gives you a feel for how IHS work and many current IHS members used it as a stepping stone until they found the squad that fit them right.

Comment

Great post, especially for those that will probably be joining up when BF3 rolls out or have been curious about the leap to joining an IHS.
          A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

This should totally be a sticky

Comment

Great summary Crux :)

I'd just like to add that being an IHS member isn't necessarily the ultimate goal of everyone at TG. Some people would like to be members and that's cool - others aren't interested in the added commitments that come with IHS membership, and are happy just to be core members of the TG community at large. The venerable |TG| tag is something that has always been worn with great pride.

Comment

Absolutely Whiskey. I should probably re-write it some to change the tone slightly, as it implies at present that every SM should be in an IHS and that certainly isn't the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                  I'd also say the Irregs are a great IHS for new people that are unsure what squad is best for them, gives you a feel for how IHS work and many current IHS members used it as a stepping stone until they found the squad that fit them right.
                  Yeah! They even took me, and I've been around...hey wait is this Crux's way of calling me a ho again?

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

Originally posted by experiment626 View Post
                    Yeah! They even took me, and I've been around...hey wait is this Crux's way of calling me a ho again?
                    You seem pretty eager to call yourself one, Experiment. Looks like I don't have to do anything ;)

Comment

Thpttttptpppp!!!!!!

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

I remember this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                          this is very true, i've been in the irregs for over a year and have seen maybe ten people come and go on to another IHS. im sure lots of even the old old members of the Irregs (besiege, nixon cough cough) has seen alot more :)
                          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I think there is a major distinction between the Irregulars and other IHS. The Iregs don't have a private forum where members can get to know eachother outside of the public eye (please correct me if this has changed). Much of my social enjoyment I have had in an IHS has come from the private moments that a squad shares on their forums. Knowing that what you post in your squad forums can be seen by TG at large really takes away from the intimacy that other IHS can have when they use their forums. I share personal info in a squad forum that I would not post on any other TG board.

I know several IHS keep tabs on any Irregulars that are SMs as first in line when looking to recruit. Please keep this in mind as you consider joining an IHS.

I joined the Irrs before any other IHS and led many a pirate squad back in the day. arrrrg!

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I just logged out to see if that is true and its not, it is unseen from the public. Even form other non IHS member i believe. I do agree with you science on that point though, us irregs spend more moments in game than in forum i guess you can put it :) I play other games than the irregs do im not into arma or PR but hopefully ill get to know everyone more form bf3 :)
                              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X