DICE: “We’re considering mod tools”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE: “We’re considering mod tools”

It’s been disappointing for PC game modders that Battlefield 3 won’t ship with mod tools, because the new Frostbite 2.0 engine is simply too complex for modders to use, not to mention there are tricky licensing issues with third party software used in Frostbite.
    But according to DICE’s general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson, DICE has heard the community and their wishes, and said in recent interview with AusGamers,

“We have heard the community very loud and clear on this topic — that they want mod tools. We are considering it, back in the studio. The game won’t ship with mod tools, but we have heard it. I’m not saying that we’re going to do it, I’m saying that we are thinking about it.”
    BF3Blog - DICE: “We’re considering mod tools”
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: DICE: “We’re considering mod tools”

OMG PR: BF3!

:D

Maybe, someday! Still, a nice step if true!

Comment

As long as they are actually considering it, and not just saying so to keep us happy. [/cynicism].

But truly, I hope they are and even if we don't get a PR: BF3, I think mod tools would really give some awesome tools to really make BF3 an even more awesome game!

Comment

Mantis at BF3Blog ? ;)

|

Comment

Whether they choose to build and release mod tools / a SDK or not, this pleases me. DICE, unlike some other developers I could mention, seem to honestly care about their player base, and its little gestures and "just to keep you informed" stuff like this that really makes a difference.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancer’s maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I think the best plan for mod tools would be community developed tools. If DICE want to help then all the better but the community does the best stuff :)

Comment

We do not need the tools, all we need is allow us to have custom game menu item so you switch to the mod just like a DLC and a compiler/extractor so we can see their files. The community would take care of the rest.
              Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Awesome news, but I am not going to get my hopes very high. I agree that the community will take care of itself if the developers let us have a go at the games files.

A quote from the article that is keeping us from seeing those files.
                ". . . there are tricky licensing issues with third party software used in Frostbite."

As I have said a few times, it is not that they didnt want us to have those files, it is because DICE dont own all the software processes running in the game engine. Even though most of those processes are available to all game developers, they are not free, and cost those third party companies a lot of time and money to develop. I wonder how much of the Frostbite engine is actually Havok engines that have been modified. Their(Havok) physics engine is widely used by many developers, and they are one of the frontrunners in the development of "destruction engines". DICE admits to using their physics engine, but I wonder how deep it goes.
                theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                E Pluribus Unum
                Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                  We do not need the tools, all we need is allow us to have custom game menu item so you switch to the mod just like a DLC and a compiler/extractor so we can see their files. The community would take care of the rest.
                  Well, we need dedicated server files too... or the whole idea is waste of time.

Comment

BF3 will feature in-house auction to sell your guns, swords, wands...
                    TG21 Seriousturtle

Comment

I'm thrilled to hear this , but I suspect a little PR at work here. They got their noses bloodied first over Steam ( incidently I don't blame them, paying your competitiors to sell your game . Really ? Ask Minecraft how they feel about Steam.) The whole EULA thing , corrected, hardly garnered any news. This is good PR meant to re-energize the population and regain their faith . Personnally i don't care why they are doing it , just so long as it works and works well.
                      I want all those who get to know me
                      To become admirers or my enemies

Comment

Truthfully, I don't think that statement is worth a dime unless they actually release mod tools. It sure is easy to make a non-guarantee by saying "we're thinking about it" just to get peoples hopes up.
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X