DICE: It takes 100 hours to complete a kit and unlock everything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE: It takes 100 hours to complete a kit and unlock everything

One of the most popular aspects of Battlefield 2 was its deep persistence feature, where players earned unlocks and awards as they played, and which could keep them busy for years. This returned in Bad Company 2, however, you could unlock most of the weapons and gadgets in Bad Company 2 in a few dozen hours, something which took DICE by surprise.

For Battlefield 3, DICE always stated that they were going with a much deeper persistence feature, with many more unlocks and a revamped unlock structure for weapons and attachments. Now DICEs Alan Kertz has unveiled just how long it takes to unlock all the weapons, attachments and gadgets for a class: 100 hours.

The reason it takes so long is because unlocks in Battlefield 3 are given per weapon basis, where each weapon attachment must be unlocked for a specific weapon, meaning that players will be unlocking the same attachments and gadgets over and over again, for each weapon. Most weapons will be given three slots: one for scope, one for barrel, and one under-barrel slot for grips, bipods, grenade launchers, etc.

On one hand, the more you use a weapon, the more and better accessories you get for it, on the other hand, it might get a bit too repetitive unlocking the same thing again and again. But well have to wait and see how the system works when the game ships. Or in the upcoming beta.
    Source

Good to hear it won't be like BC2 and everything will be unlockable without a whole lot of playing time. Curious how this would affect our current ranked/unranked debate going on as well...
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: DICE: It takes 100 hours to complete a kit and unlock everything

Personally I like this.....love mastering a weapon.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

challenge accepted.
      Skud

Comment

I don't know, 100 hours isn't very much in the life of a BF title.
        theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
        E Pluribus Unum
        Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
        Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

That is fine, as long as you can get the primary stuff quick, the journey to get there can be a benifit. In Bad Co 2, I tried to at least get a silve star with each weapon... not for the star as much as trying new things. It is real easy to just get comfy with what you know but then the game gets stale and finding new weapons that you enjoy can breath life back into the game. I still am one of the only people apparently that stinks with the auto shottys but found others that I did not like at first and now will use.

Of course I can do that without getting the star but I would still encourage people to try new weapons and loadouts and roll with them for a bit to see how they play out. I do however admit one thing I want and love about the awards and that is the dog tags. Call me crazy but I really dig that feature and having the tags of all my 1000+ victims (mostly HiTest) from bad Co 2.
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Great, now to find 100 hours of playing time. im sure between school, work, family, girlfriend ill find the time! (sarcasm hint).

Comment

Im not sure how they came up with such a specific number as 100. It all depends on how many points you get per round, right?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
                Im not sure how they came up with such a specific number as 100. It all depends on how many points you get per round, right?
                I am sure they are just taking a rough average.

100 Hrs doesn't seem like that much honestly...I thought they said you'd have unlocks for years...currently I am sitting at 229 hrs for BC2 and I know that's nowhere near some of the regular player hours.

Comment

100 for each kit thought not for EVERYTHING, thats what i took from the article :p
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

If it's 100 h for 1 class, then we have 400 h for everything. I think it's more time than I needed to reach Brigadier General in BF2142 and unlock everything (excluding Northern Strike unlocks which were given for specific awards). Moreover this time you need to play specific kit to unlock its specific unlocks.

Comment

I give it a week on our server.

Comment

I also read it as 100h per kit so 400 total sounds good to me considering I have roughly 500-600h in BC2 since March 2010.
                        The statement that they have unlocks for years or well at least 1 year is probably true for most gamers.

I like that they thought about this and changed the unlock system, but the completist in me is shedding a tear and has preemptively cut off any and all social ties to my life aswell as dropping out of the university, quitting my job and boarding up the windows at home.

Well maybe I wont go that far.

DICE how about I give you an additional 100 dollars and you'll give me a soldier with everything unlocked?
                        "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

With uni coming up next year, I spent my last non-research-filled summer with BC2 so it will probably take a lot longer to build up to the hours I had in BC2. As long as a high SPM can be as easy to get as it was in BC2 it shouldn't take too long though.

Former TG-21st
                          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Don't forget all the vehicle goodies! I wonder if they will be per vehicle as well...

Comment

I think many of you are forgetting that we're a very "hardcore" player base. 100 hours is nothing to us, but to most - that's months and months of playtime.
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X