Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we figured out what the visible laser does? Any Speculation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have we figured out what the visible laser does? Any Speculation?

I noted this in one of the threads around the release of the Caspian Border teaser, but do we know what the visible laser does? It's visible to enemy so it makes no sense to equip it unless it's useful.

1:57 of this video (Battlefield Mythbusters 2)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrZtHZRC1FY

0:22 of this video (Caspian Border Multiplayer Teaser)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE

Also at 1:32 of Caspian Border video (look for enemy parachuting onto roof at 2 o'clock)

I don't think anyone has figured it out. My speculation is that it's the replacement for the tracer dart or some sort of balancing cue for mortars or arty strikes.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Re: Have we figured out what the visible laser does? Any Speculation?

Just red dot sight.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

It makes it easier to fire from the hip - the crosshairs spread out as you move, but the laser stays pointing exactly at where your bullets will go.
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

In alpha it was most use full gun attachment if you ask me. I loved how you could blind enemy when pointed on their head. Most use full in dark areas of the map like the train tracks in Paris. My success rate in 1 on 1 situations greatly improved after equipping it.
        sigpic

Comment

One drawback is that the enemy sees your laser-dot on objects in front of you.
          If you´re ambushing in a corridor it´s very helpful to see a red dot dance on the opposite wall when the enemy comes running.
          sigpic

Comment

It's a laser....and very effective at blinding people. I was on the receiving end of it a few times and you cant see crap when it hits your eyes. I may use it to blind jet and chopper pilots :D
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Well it's a minor nit pick but there seems so much more potential for a laser than just an aiming tool and a "hey I'm over here please shoot me" tool.

1. Eliminate dumb bombs and force laser guidance on dropped ordinance instead (#JETBALANCE, #TEAMWORK)
              2. Make it one way (enemies cannot see it) and replace the q-spotting mechanism with this (#NOWALLHACK, #TEAMWORK)
              3. Allow squad leader to call in close support assets like mortars but I guess the SOFLAM will do that instead (#SQUADREWARD, #TEAMWORK)
              4. Laser guided anti-tank munitions (replacing the tracer dart) (#TANKBALANCE, #TEAMWORK)
              5. Make it take up a weapon gadget slot and remove crosshairs (or a NVG only version of this) (#REALISM)

Comment

Maybe someone else will clarify, because there might be smaller versions that could be mounted on a rifle, but the laser scopes mounted on hand held weapons are not the same thing as a laser designator used for targeting for munitions. Those little laser(flash light type) pointers that are used on handheld weapons are just to show the user where he is aiming.

Laser designators send out a coded pulse beam that the munitions "seeker" follows to the target. Unlike what is common in video games the target has to have the beam on it until impact.

Ski-Racer, if the player is going to use a tool to make it easier to fire from the hip, then they deserve to be seen by everyone while they are running around with a little red line projecting from their weapon.
                theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                E Pluribus Unum
                Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

See above. Yup. The thing you see in some rl footage and in games like COD where the operator 'marks' targets for example an Apache is IR (infa red). Serves the same purpose as the older 'red laser' pointer but is invisible to the naked eye but clearly visible if you use NOD. As far as I am aware there is no facility to lock onto such a source nor would it be desirable to have munitions tracking something attached yo your primary weapon. If you were in contact and switched target the munitions would track to wherever you pointed your weapon or worse still lose their lock and become a 'dumb' bomb mid flight. That would be a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Ski-Racer View Post
                    ...and a "hey I'm over here please shoot me" tool.
                    Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                    Ski-Racer, if the player is going to use a tool to make it easier to fire from the hip, then they deserve to be seen by everyone while they are running around with a little red line projecting from their weapon.
                    Um, clearly I agree.

Comment

It's actually quite effective at blinding people. Not flashlight-effective, but it has way more range than the flashlight.

I have died to people using the laser sight a few times solely because I was partially blinded.

Comment

Please laser designatior is so 21st century, give me this instead!

I think that the laser sight seems effective at blinding enemies. I am not so sure it made it easier shooting from the hip though, I might have been doing it wrong :)
                        "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Um I said that because you said...

Originally posted by Ski-Racer View Post
                          . . .
                          2. Make it one way (enemies cannot see it) and replace the q-spotting mechanism with . . .
                          which made me think that you wished that the enemy could not see it.
                          theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                          E Pluribus Unum
                          Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                          Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed