DICE: Battlefield gamers “suspicious” over free DLC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE: Battlefield gamers “suspicious” over free DLC

EA and DICE have previously stated that they plan up to 3X the amount of DLC for Battlefield 3 compared to Bad Company 2. Speaking to OXM, DICE producer Patrick Bach revealed a few interesting details about Battlefield players’ views on downloadable content. Bach said:

Quote:
    “We actually got a lot of flack for giving away free maps. I know it sounds weird, but people got really upset with us. People said: ‘if you’re giving it away, why couldn’t you give it away earlier?’ There were a lot of complaints.”
    DICE released a lot of Bad Company 2 content, mostly maps that were redesigned to support other game modes, and remade maps from Bad Company 1. However, the only paid DLC for Bad Company 2, Vietnam, was well received, despite costing $10.
    DICE released a lot of Bad Company 2 content, mostly maps that were redesigned to support other game modes, and remade maps from Bad Company 1. However, the only paid DLC for Bad Company 2, Vietnam, was well received, despite costing $10.

Quote:
    “The only thing we’ve done that was more or less 100% positive was Vietnam: it was a bigger pack and we charged for it, but everyone saw the value, and everyone enjoyed the game.”
    Bach said that when gamers paid for something, they expected a much greater value than if it was released for free, saying “people get very suspicious when they get something for free”. He also stressed that this hasn’t discouraged DICE from not giving away free DLC — they still plan on giving out free DLC for Battlefield 3.
    Bach said that when gamers paid for something, they expected a much greater value than if it was released for free, saying “people get very suspicious when they get something for free”. He also stressed that this hasn’t discouraged DICE from not giving away free DLC — they still plan on giving out free DLC for Battlefield 3.

Even before the game is out, there is already a free DLC available: If you pre-order Battlefield 3, you’ll get the Back to Karkand expansion for free.
    DICE: Battlefield gamers “suspicious” over free DLC

Great to hear about the direction they will hopefully be taking DLC and the amount we could be expecting.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: DICE: Battlefield gamers “suspicious” over free DLC

well good for the pre-orders than :)
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Karkand by itself is well worth the $15 imo, if it wasn't given for free already. Just wait till you see the actual maps. Karkand and Wake look absolutely amazing in FB2.

Comment

That is a crock of poo that people were angry about free content. The real issue was that the so called content was just game modes unlocked on existing maps which should have been included in the day 1 release. DICE promised new free content and the fans felt ripped off. Later when they actually released new content it was much welcomed and there was no complaints by the fans. Either they really are clueless or that is the most absurd spin by DICE... I hope some of the gaming media calls them out on it.

And to those that think we should take whatever we are given for 'free' consider this. Games in the past had to be up to a much higher standard before release, especially if there was no way to patch them or it was difficult to patch. The game that shipped is all you ever get. Now think back to the launch of most games in the last 4 years. Almost all needed extensive work post release to fix bugs and such. This is not the developers just being nice but rather that the business model has changed. They get the game out there and continue to work on it post release based on our testing in a real environment. This is obviously a good thing IMO but that post release support is needed or else these games need a lot more content/polish before they ship. Do you really think all those game modes on various maps would have been left out of Bad Co 2 had DICE had only 1 shot at a release or with all the release day bugs it had? No way would they have released that game at the state it was in on day one.
        Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrogg View Post
          Karkand by itself is well worth the $15 imo, if it wasn't given for free already. Just wait till you see the actual maps. Karkand and Wake look absolutely amazing in FB2.
          I totally believe you about the maps looking amazing but the burning question is can they be rotated with normal vanilla maps? If not then they are a waste. However I wonder if the way rotation worked in the past no longer applies since we are launching from the browser and restarting the game when loading in a server (not sure if this same process happens when switching between maps). If the same process happens when switching maps then there should be no reason not to switch modes to any DLC and not impact your players the way it would today... to them it would just be another map. I know you can't answer that but I really wish they would let us know, especially since we are now told the game is only shipping with a pitiful 9 maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy Mullet View Post
            especially since we are now told the game is only shipping with a pitiful 9 maps.
            im pretty sure every other battlefield game had the same amount of maps or less than that on release. I would be content with 1 map
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Interesting, thanks for sharing this!

Comment

As someone pointed out in another thread, 9 maps is 1 less than what 2142 and BC2 has shipped with (BF2 had 12), so yeah. A bit overreacting on that 9 map thing there buddy, especially since 4 more maps that you know are great are coming within like a month or so of launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrogg View Post
                  (BF2 had 12), so yeah.
                  12 with expansions right? how many did it have on release?
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

According to wikipedia it had 12 at launch and 15 with patches

Comment

ahhhh ok :) such a good game too
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

12 at launch for BF2. 1942 had 16. So BF4 will have 6 maps at the current rate. Maps are the life blood of the game and for some reason they keep making less and less of them even though this is supposed to be their biggest title to date but has the fewest maps. And again BTK is worthless if it can not be rotated in the normal game. Knowning we will not be allowed to make any custom maps or mods for BF3 makes those 9 maps an even bigger deal. I am shocked more people do not seem to care about this.

Comment

It also has a full fledged singleplayer and coop. There's a whole lot more content in BF3 than ever was in BF2, 2142 or even BC2. I think given that, 9 maps + 4 a month later is pretty damn reasonable. Some of those 12 BF2 maps sucked anyway (that dam map, Operation clean sweep, and another I can't recall the name of).

Comment

No one has even touched that there is no Mod community support. We all know that once everyone has gotten their fill of Vanilla BF3 that they will be seeking something else out. For me with BF2 that was the Mod community. PoE, PR and a few others were what I played when I got tired of BF2 even with the expansions. When the expansions came out I played them for a month and then went right back to the Mods.

So whether they have 9 maps or 13 maps or all the DLC they want in the end for a long term fan base I sincerely hope that Mod tools become available even though Frostbite 2 is more complicated. We have some very savy and smart Mod communities out there. I'm pretty sure some of them can figure it out. If the Crysis engine can have mod applications then why not Frostbite2?
                            "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                            "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

The difficulty with releasing mod tools for Frostbite is not about the graphics, so comparing it to Crysis is irrelevant. The pipeline is just different from normal editors and is very reliant on servers and 3rd party software, which becomes very complicated legally if you try to release it to the public.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X