Battlefield 3 Beta: First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 3 Beta: First Impressions

As everyone starts putting some time into the beta, it would be great to see what people's impressions and opinions are of the game so far :D
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Impressions

I'm very curious to see everyone's early impression of the beta, too. But I suspect that they're busy playing.
    You know what attract bullets the most in Battlefield 3?? MY HEAD!!
    sigpic

Comment

I think the game has great potential. If we could keep BC2 going for a year, we are all set with BF3.

It will probably take a while for everyone to get through the weapons and maps to give good feedback.

My biggest feeling so far is it is so nice to have tactics back. I heard someone say "need suppressing fire on A". While just a small detail, to me it speaks volumes for what we have been missing.

I am having issues with sluggish video. I feel like I am in molasses. I went down to low settings, and I am still running between 40-50FPS, which doesn't sound that bad, but the gameplay for me is not good. I may have to look at my specs again. Others I was playing with (Meatwad, DocGuo, Specter, etc.) didn't seem to have any issues.

Comment

Actually "everybody is busy trying to get into a server" would better describe the situation :)
        former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

I am such an idiot. I updated my AMD, and it appeared SLI was still enabled, but it wasn't. Hopped back in, and it runs smooth as butter, and I actually killed someone.

I think the coolest thing about the beta so far for me are the 20-30 friends in my friends list from all types of gaming backgrounds descending on this title. Whether the game lives up to every part of the hype, this is exactly what the community needed IMHO.

Comment

1. Battlelog is a great feature, and I'm growing to like it. The platoon system is kind of cool (Steam groups), but the party system doesn't really allow for nice and easy squad intermingling. Not a fan of that.

2. Assault is really a medic, just like in BF2142. They get ARs, med kits, and defibs.

3. The beta-launch confusion stabbings are a thrill and a half. Just flank the attackers and grab 5+ dog tags easily

4. Flashlights in the metro tunnels are incredibly useful. They basically blind whatever you're looking at, and it's an awesome feature of BF3. Love it!

5. I think I saw someone throw out smoke - any word on this?

6. People seem to be doing pretty good with RPGs. I'm kind of surprised - the RPGs fly slow, and the damage isn't that great.

7. Snipers are great for the long, straight corridors in the metro.

8. The end of round screen doesn't allow me to type 'gg' or some round impressions. I'm kind of bummed out about that.

9. Most "System errors" when joining a game just mean you need to reboot your PC. My SSD allows me about 30s for a reboot, so it's not that inconvenient. If you get the red system error message in battlelog, just reboot - fixes it for me every time.

10. Strategical med hub deployments, for defenders around tight corners are a gold mine of points. Love it!

Comment

BF3 is awesome

After playing the BF3 beta for half a day, I think this is the best Battlefield game ever.

Why?
              * Flanking: the open area at the start of metro gives so much opportunity to get the drop on the enemy.
              ** And once you're behind the enemy? They have no chance. There is no BC2 medic train here. A full clip will go a looong way.
              * Someone ran into your sights? They are going down, no matter their twitch skills.
              * Set yourself up in a superior position with good sight lines, and the enemies will fall like leaves.
              * Run'n'gun? Not in this title.
              * Shotgun dominates at close range - just like it should. IMO, this is the first BF title with good CQC.
              * Prone prone prone. Stick your head out, pop a few rounds, and go prone behind cover. It works incredibly well.
              ** The height of cover seems to have been built to accommodate crouch and prone positions.
              * The game rewards what TG is all about - tactical gameplay.
              I could go on, but Zho is going to get waaay ahead in the ranks...

I am super excited about BF3. This is the title that is going to spark that TG flame you've been missing.

Comment

Interested to learn what kinds of video cards you guys have... My son has tried to play last hour or so, and has lagged so much as to be unplayable.

I've only got a GT120X with 1GB, but it apparently doesn't cut it. Anyone else with a similar card? Experiences?

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Overall I am excited. FF is on! Actually having some SOPs will be a requirement for success. #veryhappy

I didn't mention this below because I hate snipers so much I want them nerfed into oblivion but spotting them is almost too easy.

Running thread with my fix requests

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...1139096346436/
                  Last edited by Ski-Racer; 09-27-2011, 11:13 PM. Reason: Shorten and added link

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Comment

Originally posted by thedogwarrior View Post
                    Interested to learn what kinds of video cards you guys have... My son has tried to play last hour or so, and has lagged so much as to be unplayable.

I've only got a GT120X with 1GB, but it apparently doesn't cut it. Anyone else with a similar card? Experiences?
                    I am running a 1 GB Geforce 550 ti and its lagging pretty bad...I've turned down my setting as low as possible to make it bearable but I still get bad stuttering, I hope that come the final game it will run smoother because its currently borderline unplayable for me.

I am above minimum specs but just barely.

Comment

its gonna chew up my 8800 and spit it out,
                      Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy Mullet View Post
                        its gonna chew up my 8800 and spit it out,
                        I am glad I wasn't the only one with a graphics card that old. I couldn't even get the beta version of the game to load with my 8800 GTX (I think it was a driver issue more than anything). I did play alpha just fine with it so maybe wait for release and see if you can manage.

Comment

Right now, with rush, I find it pretty "meh". The lighting also is very irritating. I hate all forms of bloom in any game.

Comment

I can't seem to key my mouse's third button to "Knife", does anyone know? Anytime I try to key the button, the mouse pointer dissappears altogether and I have to hit Escape to exit the Options screen.

Also i'm running at High settings with a GTX460 card and the new beta drivers and everything is smooth as butter.
                            You know what attract bullets the most in Battlefield 3?? MY HEAD!!
                            sigpic

Comment

My only compliant is the server browser. I think a ingame server browser would of been much better. I really dont see the point.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X