No announcement yet.

Beta quick start

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta quick start

If you weren't in the early access Beta but want see what all the fuss is about now that the Battlefield 3 beta is going public, this is the guide for you to get caught up and started ASAP without digging through the entire forum for information. Or like me, spend the whole evening trying to fix your video drivers...

Start by reviewing the BF3 Starter for basic info about the game and the Beta.

Getting Ready for the Beta
    The Beta opens September 29th, and will go until October 10th.

Download the Origin desktop application and set up an account. Remember: Your Origin ID will be your soldier name in-game.
    Update your video drivers.
    1. Uninstall your current drivers.
    2. Restart.
    3. Install the preview version below.
    4. Restart again.

Installing the Beta
    (Subject to change pending public release, some time September 29th)

Open Origin and you should see the Battlefield 3 Beta appear in Free Games Page, or search for it. With a click you can start the download and installation. Just leave it running in the background.

You should now also be able to log in to Battlelog with your Origin ID, and begin using it.

Getting Started With Battlelog
    Start by joining the Tactical Gamer Official Platoon. If you're in a clan or IHS, you can be a member of multiple Platoons, and select one as your primary. Go through the TG platoon member list and send some friends requests. Open some player profiles, go through their friends list, and send some more.

In the lower left corner of your screen, you will see "Game Manager". Open it and install the Browser Plugin for Battlelog. This will enable VOIP as well as launching the game. Here you will also see when the game is up to date and ready to run

In the lower right corner of your screen, you will see "COM Center". This is your friends list and you can see who is online, who is in game, and who is in a Party. A party is a lobby where players can hang out, chat, use VOIP, and join a server as a group.

Go ahead and open the COM Center and join a Party. After you do, you will see a link appear for your VOIP "Settings" in the bottom right corner of the COM Center. Click it to change your push-to-talk button and ensure everyone can hear you.

Game Setup
    Now that you've made some friends and the game is fully downloaded, you can join a server. Press Left Alt+Enter to toggle between windowed and full screen.

Once you're in-game and connected, deploy to the map and find a quiet corner to hide in for a moment as you must be in-game and alive to open the menu. Press Escape to open the menu and configure your controls and game and video options.

And that's it! You're ready to play.
    Last edited by Warlab; 10-01-2011, 01:33 PM.

Re: Beta quick start

Nice writeup. There is actually now an 'official' Tactical Gamer Platoon.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Best open her up then mate! ;)

Thanks Fallen, I'd have been looking for this myself and now I dont have too.

well somwbody started one yesterday that already has 99 members, lots of tg folk,

|TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Open Beta is now live and available in Origin as described above.

Join up and test it out! Lots of bugs but the feel of the game is fantastic (when it doesn't crash)

((Insert slightly witty, yet incredibly common-sensical quote here, to possibly ellicit a comment in one of thousands of posts on a rather popular web forum.))

Because it's Tactical Gamer. not "Samurai Ninja Bushido Warrior" Gamer.
              -Snowman Actual

Hey guys....I joined but it my origin name is khaine1972. Am trying to change it to the right name though =)
                I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed