Client Side Hit Registration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Side Hit Registration

We all know and have experienced all these server/client side glitches such as invisible players, elongated necks/arms, falling through the map, etc. But what about three even more common issues that you constantly see:

1. Hit registrations on a enemy in a firefight only for you to die, while he retains 100% hp.
    2. You shoot first and see hit indicators come up only to due, while he retains 100% hp.
    3. You die to the UMP or any other weapon in seemingly 1 hit.
    4. You die instantly while running, and hear a loud "crack" sound (like if a sniper shot you), only to find that a person just killed you instantly with a non 1 hit kill weapon at a far range.
    5. You dive around a corner and still take damage/die.
    6. You engage with the enemy and then prone into cover, only to die, even though its 3 seconds after getting into cover.
    7. You sprint across an open field and make it behind a wall of cover, only to die to gunfire that somehow is still able to follow you around that cover.

I've experienced all of these, and it appears that Client Side hit registration is the culprit. This video shows you all of the examples above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaP5wTYLtQ

Everyone I've talked to has also experienced this. This is probably also why some guns feel overpowered, such as the UMP. I bring up the UMP because this gun seems to "1 shot" more than any other gun on the receiving end. But when you use it, clearly it takes several bullets to kill a target. I don't think this is as big of an issue as the minimal VOIP/Squad management on Battlelog catastrophe that exploded yesterday but this really is a disappointment for me personally.

Re: Client Side Hit Registration

The long and the short of it is - if someone starts shooting first, you are 90% guaranteed to die, regardless of the weapon or (mostly) what you're doing.
    In BC2, there was a _good_ period of time from when someone starts shooting to when you die. This period often meant you could either get for cover, or reply fire to at least damage the enemy.

This is patently NOT present in BF3 beta. And if this is how it is in the final game ... that's a shame.

Comment

No 6.

So infuriating. Happens all the time to me especially in the subway.
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I think Zhohar and AVS are talking about two different things...Although its true that the damage was been significantly increased from BC2 I think AVS is talking more about bugs.

There are definitely a lot of bugs with hit registration, I think it will be several weeks until all of these bugs are worked out and then several more months until weapons are remotely balanced (think M60 for BC2).

Comment

Hit registration is a game breaker for me. If the released game doesn't fix the bugs mentioned in the OP then I simply won't be playing.

Bad Company 2 was bad for hit registration and I refuse to go through that again.

Comment

One thing I noticed was not seeing any mutual kills, where both players die from the exchange of fire. Something that would happen in BC2 often enough.

Comment

Yea I've seen a lot of these problems, and its reallly putting me off this game, feel like everyone has pulled off impossible 1 shot kills 90% of the time, while I need half a clip to kill.

I know its a beta and bugs are to be expected but these are game breaking as I see it

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

It sounds like we aren't saying it's actually a one hit kill. It sounds like on the receiving end it seems like it is. This has been my experience. I'll go down after only hearing one shot, like Avs mentioned it sounds like a crack, and the shooter is not using a sniper rifle and from the kill cam appears to be far (enough) away. But when I shoot people, it seems to take a lot of bullets. This part I am not against, it adds more to the game IMHO if we have to work for the kills.

I have the issue where I start shooting someone, even in the back (knife takes 32.19 minutes), and they turn around a kill me anyways. This happens quite often.

Comment

Feels like u are not getting shot but just dying! this has to be fixed!

Comment

There are clear hit indicators, and often audio cues.

Would you like the return of BLOODY SCREEN, SO REAL?!
                    Skud

Comment

I must be fortunate, i am not getting any of the stuff you guys mention. I have yet to yell at my screen when i clearly had the drop on someone yet i die in the fight

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Personally I don't have a problem with this but my friends do.
                        I believe I've got a weird "If he sees me first I die by default"-mentality from playing PR across the Atlantic for several years.
                        I think hit detection in general is better than ever in a BF game.

Comment

Ya I have experienced this however I think it might be some lag.

Here is my theory

For the 1 shot kills:
                          The enemy actually shot you a couple of times but due to lag when it appears on your screen it all happens in an instant. So three shots ends up looking like 1 shot.
                          I have never 1 shotted someone, especially not from range.

Kill behind cover.
                          In that video all the times he died behind cover was when a spilt second after he fell back into cover. My guess is that he "died" before he reached cover but it only showed the death after he fell behind cove
                          Once again I never have killed someone behind cover, like shown in the video.

Shooting someone but not doing damage.
                          This again is pretty much lag. It looks like you are shooting them but you are "dead" before the shots went off.

--------

So this all goes to say it sucks. I am not sure if it gives anyone an unfair advantage as everyone should experience this same lag. But it could be due to beta networking lag which a code fix can tweak. I know from other betas I have played the final patch notes almost always contain a note about improving networking code and hit registration. But who knows how it will go with this one.
                          Last edited by RedTalon; 10-03-2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I agree with what RedTalon said about 1-shot kills and kill behind cover. I'm not as sure about the shooting someone but no damage and whether the final build has improved "netcode", but it sounds reasonable :P

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                              There are clear hit indicators, and often audio cues.

Would you like the return of BLOODY SCREEN, SO REAL?!

I'm guessing from your nice sarcastic post that you don't have these problems, well a lot of us seem to have an issue with it, and it does cause a lot of annoyance on our end, we know there are hit indicators and audio cues, but did you not see from the video that they don't always work ? this is the point we are making

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X