Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Report: EA and Valve in late-stage talks to get Battlefield 3 to Steam.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: EA and Valve in late-stage talks to get Battlefield 3 to Steam.

http://bf3blog.com/2011/10/report-ea...ld-3-to-steam/

According to an anonymous report BF3Blog received from inside Valve, the developer/publisher is currently in late-stage talks with EA in bringing Battlefield 3 to the Steam digital distribution service. The rumor says that Battlefield 3 would be available on Steam just in time for the game’s release on October 25.

According to the report, EA and Valve are very close to reaching an agreement regarding sales of DLC content, which is the main reason Battlefield 3 is not on Steam: Valve requires that all DLC is sold through Steam, while EA would prefer to sell via its own channels. This was the cause of another EA title, Crysis 2, for being pulled from Steam earlier this year.

Many PC gamers have lobbied both EA and Valve to put Battlefield 3 on Steam for a while now. It looks like it’ll finally happen soon.

We’ve reached out to EA and Valve for a comment on this story.

Could this be a sign of EA cancelling Origin all together!?!

Re: Report: EA and Valve in late-stage talks to get Battlefield 3 to Steam.

I very much doubt that EA would cancel Origin, but it would certainly be nice if they dropped the monopoly they are attempting to create around it.

I wouldn't have a problem with origin if it actually added anything useful, Steam / origin / most other digital services are a form of DRM at heart. Steam makes the program useful by adding features and other content that people appreciate and therefore they don't mind having it running in the background.

Origin on the other hand adds nothing to the gaming experience and that is why people disagree with it, but money is money and EA will make more of it if Origin succeeds.

Whats funny about origin and BF3 is that they have made their own service defunct, battle log does everything Origin does and more. Link the game CD key to your battle log account / EA account and do away with Origin.

Comment

Well considering Origin was announced around the time BF3 was exploding in the news. Also considering the fact that EVERY BF3 game requires Origin installed. Why even sell it through Steam and have two clients running in the background?

Comment

Does that mean BF3 will go through Steam or will it be a redeem code for Origin still?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Does that mean BF3 will go through Steam or will it be a redeem code for Origin still?
          No idea but if Origin is require to play I see it as a code unless they get rid of the requirement all together and make Origin just a store and not a platform like Steam.

Imagine starting Steam, choose Battlefield 3, starts Origin, which sends you to Battlelog, start game, press button for Origin overlay and finally press another button for Steam overlay on top of Origin overlay XD

Comment

Originally posted by Visser View Post
            No idea but if Origin is require to play I see it as a code unless they get rid of the requirement all together and make Origin just a store and not a platform like Steam.

Imagine starting Steam, choose Battlefield 3, starts Origin, which sends you to Battlelog, start game, press button for Origin overlay and finally press another button for Steam overlay on top of Origin overlay XD
            If it's the latter, maybe I can get it added to Steam and go through Steam instead. Honestly, Origin is taking up precious resources while not adding much more than a basic chat feature (which Battlelog already has). It doesn't even integrate with Battlelog (another no no). It takes several times longer to start up and shut down, etc.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'll be buying it from Origin most likely. I would not want to have STEAM and Origin running just to play BF3.

The more programs you add to the equation the more messy it can become. I've struggled with steam games in the past, I'd rather not add any issues Origin could present on top of that.
              Skud

Comment

I hate how the whole games runs in a browser but you have to have Origin running. It's not doing anything, but if you close it and try to join a server it'll start right back up. It's a complete waste.

I'll buy the game in a heartbeat if it's released to Steam with no Origin requirement. I'm waiting till Oct 24th to preorder.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                  I hate how the whole games runs in a browser but you have to have Origin running. It's not doing anything, but if you close it and try to join a server it'll start right back up. It's a complete waste.
                  It keeps track of the CD key being used in the game. Meaning less cheating, because cheaters will lose their key, then their Origin account. Keeps multiple people from using the same key at once.

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  If it's the latter, maybe I can get it added to Steam and go through Steam instead. Honestly, Origin is taking up precious resources while not adding much more than a basic chat feature (which Battlelog already has). It doesn't even integrate with Battlelog (another no no). It takes several times longer to start up and shut down, etc.
                  And if you buy it from steam, you will still have to have Origin open to keep you from sharing that key with your friends. Do you really think that steam is not taking up resources? It has gotten better than it was years ago, but it is still streaming information to their servers, even if the store and game updates are paused.

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                  I'll be buying it from Origin most likely. I would not want to have STEAM and Origin running just to play BF3.
                  Agreed, I personally see less memory leak from Origin than I do from steam. I cant imagine running both to play BF3, my steam rating has already plummeted to zero in the last week(which is fine with me).

And the reason I disabled steam chat while I am playing steam games, is because every time I get one of those messages that pop up, the game freezes, then gets all laggy until I respond, and close that chat window. Now that it is disabled the chat window just sits on the desktop until I leave the game.
                  theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed