Serverside Settings Curiosity Poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serverside Settings Curiosity Poll

This is really to satisfy my curiosity more than anything. I'd make it into an official poll if I knew how but I was curious if people were given the power to set up the TG server with their own personal preferences for server side settings what would they be? (lets try to keep them realistic...I don't think there will be a "8 member squad" or an "include commander" setting).

Obviously we won't know until release what we can tinker with and can't but here is my list of some things that come to my mind that might be available to be turned on/off on our side:

Minimap: On
    Spotting: Minimap only (no 3D)

Crosshairs: On
    Weapon damage: Normal

Squad Spawning: SL only
    Spawntimer: 15 seconds

Infantry passive healing: Off
    Vehicle passive healing: Off

Ranked: Yes
    Unavailable Unlocks: Sprint, Squad Sprint, Extended Mag, Squad Extended Mag (I think it ruins shotgun balance, so if it can be only applied to shotguns that's better)

Team Shuffle: Off
    Autobalance: Off

Limited classes: Off (If I could just limit snipers I would, but the recon kit can be much more)
    Infantry Only: Mixed (if possible, I know in 2142 it was an all or nothing setting, in which case I'd choose off)

Defib: Needs to be charged first (like it was in alpha)
    Last edited by Specterr; 10-05-2011, 09:35 AM.

Re: Serverside Settings Curiosity Poll

I know everyone dislikes the health regen....I do too. But something that occurred to me i that the weapons do far more damage then they have in any other BF title I have played. I know the milsim guys are all thinking "use better tactics". Bur lets be real do you really want to make a huge elaborate plan and get almost to your objective all to only die by some guy using an ump 45 who 2 shots you from halfway across the map? Just food for thought. You die pretty fast in vanilla. in BF2,2142 you had to keep landing shots on a guy to drop him....here it's 1-2 bullets.

Other than that I like the above settings except I want vehicles. why play BF for infantry only?
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
      I know everyone dislikes the health regen....I do too. But something that occurred to me i that the weapons do far more damage then they have in any other BF title I have played. I know the milsim guys are all thinking "use better tactics". Bur lets be real do you really want to make a huge elaborate plan and get almost to your objective all to only die by some guy using an ump 45 who 2 shots you from halfway across the map? Just food for thought. You die pretty fast in vanilla. in BF2,2142 you had to keep landing shots on a guy to drop him....here it's 1-2 bullets.

Other than that I like the above settings except I want vehicles. why play BF for infantry only?
      Also, in many cases in 2142 you had health regen. Just pull out the ol' health pack and make a run for it :D. A lot of squads did this to make it to flag A to D to cap a back flag and not die in the process. But within the context of BF3, I agree... the health regeneration doesn't affect the game as much with its current damage model.
      A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

I can live with the infantry passive healing, its a small preference to have it off but not a major one. On the other hand I really really dislike the vehicle passive healing, taking down a vehicle from a skilled player is a big enough pain in the butt without having to worry about their self regenerating armor.

Also, just to clarify I wasn't saying that I wanted it all infantry only all the time, but I'd prefer if some maps were some of the time. It changes the dynamic of the map and makes them stay fresher longer.
        Last edited by Specterr; 10-05-2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Use better tactics!? ;)

Sorry........:)

But seriously, I really dislike the regen, and see no place for it. I highly doubt that we would be able to have it off for say vehicles and on for infantry etc.

Comment

I honestly can say I haven't had a chance to use it, if I get hit I'm usually dead. That's why it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I honestly can say I haven't had a chance to use it, if I get hit I'm usually dead. That's why it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
              Plus it takes quite a long time to kick in. I don't like the health regen, but it's much better then it was in BC2. The vehicle fixing itself is a truly terrible idea though. I have no idea why that got added.

Comment

I could live with 99% of that, but autobalance has to be on, or we will just see more of what we are seeing in the beta... teams of 16-8(or 32-8), especially when no one has the huevos to switch to a team that is being steamrolled.
                theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                E Pluribus Unum
                Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
                  Plus it takes quite a long time to kick in. I don't like the health regen, but it's much better then it was in BC2. The vehicle fixing itself is a truly terrible idea though. I have no idea why that got added.
                  It takes quite a while to kick in, especially if you are still taking suppressive fire... The regen actually stops if you start taking suppressive fire again during the regen.

I agree , I cant imagine why the devs would put regen on vehicles. It completely eliminates the need for engies to repair, all Elmeitro will have to do is back up behind the hill and wait for it to fix itself. :D Hopefully it is just part of testing, since I am sure it is impossible to get someone to go put a wrench on a chopper that was smoking during internal testing.
                  theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

In 2142 the server was generally more balanced when autobalance was off, this allowed some of the better players an opportunity to switch sides when things go out of whack.

Comment

While playing on Caspian Border it felt like tanks were even more useless than in BC2. It felt like you had to shot infantry directly to kill it and took just 2 or 3 rockets to make it a sitting duck (disable it) and then few more to kill it. Exploding tank will kill any engineer trying to repair it in this title. I am not sure what armor unlocks will be available and how will they affect the balance so until then we should hold the vehicle nerfing and wait for the game to come out.

Infantry only was an option in BF2, 2142 and BC2 so i am pretty sure it will be in BF3 as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

I appreciate the intent of regenerating vehicle health. I've had countless vehicle deaths attributed to environmental collisions after winning tank/tank battles, where knocking 2 or three health off the vehicle is enough to set it on fire.

I'd love to see regeneration up to the bare minimum to become functional again, perhaps 15% for infantry and just enough to remain alive and disabled for vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                          I could live with 99% of that, but autobalance has to be on, or we will just see more of what we are seeing in the beta... teams of 16-8(or 32-8), especially when no one has the huevos to switch to a team that is being steamrolled.
                          I've seen and heard members of the community try to balance the server, voluntarily going from a steamrolling team to the losing team. The biggest obstacle to their efforts is autobalance. On nights with no admins or minimal TG members, I can see the server getting out of hand. However, I don't see that happening for a while, and I know the community will do what it can to have an enjoyable, even game. Turning autobalance off, IMO helps us achieve that.

Comment

My opinions/preferences:

Unranked. My assumption is that means all kits and such will be available. I dont want to be limited in kit selection by the amount of time RL allow's me to play.

No minimap, no 3-d spotting. Hardcore as possible. No aids. This encourages communication and close knit teamwork.

No crosshairs. Like I said, hardcore.

Spawns only on mains and the mobile spawn points.

Teamshuffle off.
                            Autobalance on.

All classes available, all vehicles available.

Defib: Is there a medic class we can somehow get ?

Maplist: 99.9% conquest , 0.1% rush

|

Comment

I just wish we could play games here at TG without server side changes, but if I'm the minority here then so be it. I think TG would benefit more from TG member side changes - like not doing jihad jeeps or jihad eod bots. Once we make any changes it seems to knock off a great majority of public traffic to our server and I for one would like as many fresh faces around here as old ones we have. We could run Learn TG squads to teach these new players how to play "our way", teamwork, tactical, not overusing exploits in game mechanics (ie throwing c4, Gustaving infanry as a primary weapon, c4ing mcoms from underneath ceilings, etc.). I really think server side changes have in the past and will in the future stifle TG's growth which saw little to no expansion in BC2 (which saw more IHS dissolve then be created). I believe that the server side changes somehow take the TG server off the play now (in games where this applies), or off the main server browser search. I can't tell you how sick I was of seeing "is this a hardcore server" in chat for BC2. We are confusing the general public, they are not joining our server under the right pretenses, or they were joining what they thought was a hardcore server and not getting what they wanted. With all that said for BC2 we can only see on 10/25 what BF3 server browser will do.

At least in the past we would get a good month of a game the way developers intended it to be played, sometimes 3 months before these changes are made. I would just like to go on record as saying I like vanilla flavor. Also I like to go on record with saying we should give a game a chance the way it is retail released before making any server side changes.

As for a more specific note, with the way communication is handled in BC2 and possible BF3(don't know yet because I haven't played the real game yet) I think 3D spotting was the only form of universal communication given to us in BC2. It was a clear way to communicate to your team, whether they were in your squad, TS channel, or even in Teamspeak or not. It was really the only communication the actual game gave us. There is a tank, there is infantry flanking us, all done by Q-spotting. This means that your one Q-spot spoke clearly to your entire team and to take that out only hurt team communication. Do I wish we had a commander to spot people instead, yes. Do I wish everyone on our team was in Teamspeak so we didn't need 3D spotting, yes. However I think it is a clever way of introducing universal communication across a team. It is a video game after all.
                              Last edited by LordMeatwad; 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X