Use of macros. Opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of macros. Opinions?

Today I came across a team mate using what I assume to be a macro to repeat a key press fairly quickly (I'm not going to say exactly what it did, as I am weary of posting such things. Would rather fewer people knew this existed) It was not anything game breaking.

Now, personally I would not consider this hacking or exploiting. In my opinion it's in poor taste.

I'm curious as to what peoples' opinions are about the use of macros, especially if it were to happen on a TG server.

Wes
    2142: |TG| BullyBoyBilly
    BC2: |TG| Wesb2
    BF3: Wesb23

Well its pointless without what it did. If it made him drop ammo 100 times I'm fine with it. If it made him fire a sniper rifle 100 times.....I'm not fine with it. If he is a TG guy.....contact the admin and get their opinion

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Re: Use of macros. Opinions?

I agree with Ven...it all depends on what the macro did. I sometimes use macro's on my computer but its generally nothing I couldn't do myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Primer View Post
        ...Within Tactical Gamer, ANY activity that capitalizes on the limitations of a game to provide the advantage rather than that advantage coming from superior teamwork, strategy and tactics, is frowned upon. We all want to win when we play, but the focus at Tactical Gamer should be one of winning with some sort of dignity, honor, and skill, not because you were able to out-exploit the other team or box them into a corner built on technological weakness that gives you the advantage...

Our community is founded on mutual respect, fairness, and good sportsmanship. At the core, is there really any difference between an aimbot and a rapid-fire macro?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
          Our community is founded on mutual respect, fairness, and good sportsmanship. At the core, is there really any difference between an aimbot and a rapid-fire macro?
          Agreed, and this sort of behaviour from TGers would result in a very swift kick from an admin. You are using an exploit to gain advantage, REGARDLESS of whether it is a "hack" or not, it is still gaining an advantage. I think many people have forgot the primer and what it is to be TG. We are better than this, lets start acting like it.

Comment

Well...I'm not arguing that we should allow a macro for rapid firing (hence why I said it depends on what it did) or allow it for use in that exploits mechanics...for example, the macros I've used in the past (and never thought much about it) just make my life easier. For instance holding down the crouch key for me making it into a toggle key instead of a hold key (not a problem in BF3). Or having my zoom key also hit the spot key. I also had a macro to change the 5-6 keys for 2142 (anyone who's played it knows why)

Comment

I think certain macros go right up to the line of cheating but do not cross over. Specterr's use of macros is completely accectable in my book, but when you set a macro up to fire your sniper rifle then immediately switch to your pistol and fire twice that pisses me off. And yes I've seen this on the TG BC2 server. Is it cheating? I feel like it is. Is it against the game rules? Nope.

That said I don't think there's really anything one can do to prevent them.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                Is it cheating? I feel like it is. Is it against the game rules?
                Yes. Yes it is.

That said I don't think there's really anything one can do to prevent them.
                Sure there is. When this kind of thing is suspected, players should make a report in the game's Contact an Admin forum. The admin team can then investigate and take action. The Admin Teams' job is to do what's best for the server. We'll do our due diligence, but 100% incontrovertible evidence is NOT required to warn, kick or ban.

Comment

To me the use of macros, particularly in a twitch game that involves your skill at manipulating the various controls, is cheating, plain and simple. You are automating a process that is not designed that way. Game design takes controls into account I would think. Rule of thumb, if you are in a gray area you have already stepped out of the 'TG light'.

Comment

I don't use any macros when I play, last time I did was in CS 1.6 and it just was not my thing.
                    To be honest I don't really mind people using macros as long as they are not obviously as exploits or cheats. For example using a script/ macro to autofire the hand gun is not cheating to me. Sure you'll fire faster, but you are also wasting bullets and need to reload, not a good thing in the middle of a fire fight.

I also get the sense that people using macros and scripts already have skills and would probably waste me regardless of macros and scripts.
                    "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Originally posted by Lien View Post
                      Sure you'll fire faster, but you are also wasting bullets and need to reload, not a good thing in the middle of a fire fight.
                      Sure, but you don't have to use the macro. By having it configured you have a tool that's not available to me. Scripting weapon/movement sequences like that is easy to say it's cheating.

But what about a mouse that lets you change sensitivity without going through options menu? I snipe and I lower sensitivity, I play infantry it goes to medium, I play tank and it goes to max so I can spin the turret faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Lien View Post
                        I don't use any macros when I play, last time I did was in CS 1.6 and it just was not my thing.
                        To be honest I don't really mind people using macros as long as they are not obviously as exploits or cheats. For example using a script/ macro to autofire the hand gun is not cheating to me. Sure you'll fire faster, but you are also wasting bullets and need to reload, not a good thing in the middle of a fire fight.
                        This was extremely disappointing to read.

I also get the sense that people using macros and scripts already have skills and would probably waste me regardless of macros and scripts.
                        Agreed. It's typically pro/competition athletes that have the hardest time resisting the urge to use performance enhancers.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                          This was extremely disappointing to read.
                          Just my opinion, that being said I don't use ANY macros or scripts. I guess what I am saying is that people might be using those, but that only pushes me to improve my game so I'll get that sweet satisfaction when I take those guys out with my unmacroed no scripting skills :)
                          As for trying the scripts out as a 14-15 year old in CS 1.6 it only made my performance worse so I stopped using them after about an hour worth of tinkering with them. Dont be disappointed in me :( That is the worst, be angry instead!
                          Last edited by Lien; 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM.
                          "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                            To me the use of macros, particularly in a twitch game that involves your skill at manipulating the various controls, is cheating, plain and simple. You are automating a process that is not designed that way. Game design takes controls into account I would think. Rule of thumb, if you are in a gray area you have already stepped out of the 'TG light'.
                            I think that's a very simplistic way of looking at it, mostly because you assume everyone will have the same idea of what's "light" and whats "grey" as you do.

The very nature of things that are in the grey area is that they are different from one player to the next, that's why discussions like this need to be made because a consensus needs to be reached.

Comment

Its a simplistic Game Officer's view (I mention that as a sidebar to highlight the fact that topics like this are something I have to dw before) because the issue is pretty cut and dried to a lot of people. I make no assumptions. There isn't much of a grey area for me, disappointed that there is for some people. I was suggesting the individual, when contemplating employing automated controls, may consider themselves in a gray area. My position is that if you are employing a script in effect to carry out a function that the game intends you to carry out manually then you are cheating, as it is external to the game and designed to give you an advantage. It doesn't matter if it speeds up firing rate or not, it allows you to concentrate on other things as your script plays part of the game for you.

The Primer is not intended to cover everything, specifically. However I think it is reasonable to presume that it is designed to foster a particular type of mentality that would generally be opposed to anything that could even be considered cheating. Keybinds, absolutely fine. Keybind chains designed to carry out a series of actions intended to be separate instances, cheating.

For further clarity. Yes these discussions can be had, as part of the discussion I am clearly stating my opinion of what macros are. You may not share that opinion, that is fine. W6 has stated that the OP example is cheating, I have added my opinion.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X