Battlefield 3 Beta: Final Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 3 Beta: Final Impressions

So with the transition from the beginning to the end of the Beta I would like to know what everyone's final impressions of the game have evolved into so far. By doing this I am essentially "killing" off my previous thread of "First Impressions". But I believe that enough time has passed that opinions and views may have changed, or even stayed consistent throughout the Beta... so I would like to hear them either way :D

I will start it off by voicing that my final impression of the Beta is simple:

In-game VOIP

...everything else that I've experienced has been quite rewarding and I have no doubt that it will be successful at Tactical Gamer.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: Battlefield 3 Beta: Final Impressions

I think the helicopters could do with being beefed-up a bit. They seem to die quite easily, especially with the AAVs around.
    Hit registration needs fixing - one-shot kills, shooting through cover and around corners etc. It makes the game a lot less fun - instead of thinking "What did I do wrong? Why was I killed, what should I do to improve" I think "ugh, that wasn't my fault, s/he got lucky". It becomes an exercise in frustration.
    VOIP, obviously.
    Overall, I think it has great potential but there's a lot about the beta that worries me. We'll see how it goes.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

In broad terms, I believe that even with all the things that I think could be or could have been done better, this game will be the single best multiplayer shooter I have ever played. I think that the core gameplay is so good and so rewarding that any other factors, such as the Battlelog VOIP, will be purely secondary and that we can and will find ways around whatever limitations we may face.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
        In broad terms, I believe that even with all the things that I think could be or could have been done better, this game will be the single best multiplayer shooter I have ever played. I think that the core gameplay is so good and so rewarding that any other factors, such as the Battlelog VOIP, will be purely secondary and that we can and will find ways around whatever limitations we may face.
        ^ this sums ot up for me

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

4/10

Great game. great gameplay. but i cant talk to my squad. hopefully thats fixed on release.

Comment

Hit registration will be fixed so i'm not worried about that. As far as VOIP I plan on sticking to the TG server just for the fact that it's more fun with this crowd. We don't need VOIP when there is teamspeak. We did it for PoE2, bf2, and project reality. And it's the same thing we did for the beta. So taking all that into account. This game deserves the title Battlefield 3.

Comment

It is exactly what I expected.

:row__587:

Comment

I concur, the ease of squadding and talking to each other is the largest thing that I feel needs work. A web interface that looks and works like teamspeak (drag and drop yourself into the party/squad/VOIP channel to join) would be idea. I was not able to enjoy a single VOIP enabled game.

As far as netcode, I'm glad they are experimenting with client side hit registration. A few days ago I finally realized that the one-shot-kills in the beta felt exactly like NovaLogic games of yore (Delta Force & Joint Operations). Fixing the extra damage bug + performance tweaks + balancing and it will be decent. Just like there is a "graphics budget" that forces downlevel graphics on consoles, there is a "packet budget" that limits what you can do multiplayer-wise. Whatever they can move to the client side leaves more room for interesting stuff on the server side. For example, 128 players or 50 sq km maps.

Battlelog is nice (except for the VOIP/squadding). Just needs some iterating and polishing. Alt-tabbing was easy. Between rounds, I could check what was my next unlock or medal (stat whore that I am). Stats updates are almost instantaneous and, by the end, finding and joining a server was working pretty good. My only complaint was long load times for Caspian.

I'm expecting a sniper nerf and a UMP nerf and cleaned-up maps and functionality (I hear both RU and US audio on Caspian). The snipers need it most...double the spread and sway in kneeling and triple it while standing--with another doubling/tripling when not zoomed in. I hope they don't nerf my precious PKP. Should be able to carry and deploy the same number of claymores as mines and C4 (3 or 5 and 5, respectively).

Overall, fantastic job DICE.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Comment

If the beta is largely representative of the final product, then I can sum it up as follows:

BC2 - BF3 - BF2. It's a sliding scale, it feels like what DICE intended. It's certainly not a straight update, sequel, or successor of BF2, and it's not what I can really call BC3 (it's too small for that), but it's bigger than BC2 with plenty of room for creative players to find their own definition of winning. Battlefield for the COD age.

Edit: draeh, the only option for ground attack work in the beta I found were the AtG missiles, which while interesting in implementation, were not all that effective.
                  Last edited by mat552; 10-09-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

As long as the squad stuff is cleared as advertised, I'm sure we will make TS work for a VOIP alternative. I really like the game mechanics and the weapons. I don't thing the UMP needs to be nerfed beyond cutting its range. It is supposed to be a personal defense weapon and should be deadly in close range. Its mid and long range needs to be curtailed. Personally, I love the UMP as Engineer. The vehicles need a little bit more buff, but I expect to see a lot more friendly engineers repairing on our server. I can't say how dominating jets may become once they unlock their more potent weapons (didn't see anyone in the beta with bombs). Conquest is glorious. I still do not like Rush nor will I like it when half the server population drops off to play it.

All in all its shaping up to be a nice title.

Comment

Ignoring weapon balance, bugs, and any features that were not in beta but have been promised for release...

It rocks my socks...

Now if they make the VOIP all it could (should) be... I might just have a double rainbow moment :row__583:

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post

It rocks my socks...

Now if they make the VOIP all it could (should) be... I might just have a double rainbow moment :row__583:
                        if it had voip it wouldnt rock my socks, it would rock my pants....XD
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

My impressions are largely positive, I'm confident I will enjoy playing the game with TG in the coming months. The game looks great and plays great. I do, however, have concerns about the games staying power compared to BF2 and 2142.

I won't bring up VOIP because that has been beat to death, and I think there is a larger issue that could possibly kill the game even if VOIP and squads work perfectly. The issue I'm worried about is map design. Caspian is fun, but I don't think it is a well designed map. The map itself is quite large, but the points are clustered so close to each other in the middle that the game is won by just controlling the center of the map. The map devolves into a roving firefight. There is little room for the tactical variation and squad play that gave 2142 such longevity. It could well be that Caspian is designed to be a fast paced map, and if it is, great. But I'm hoping to see more creative design and larger distances between flags on the other maps. At the very least, I hope the remastered BF2 maps are faithful to the original scale. At least I know those will rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Amplitudo View Post
                            I do, however, have concerns about the games staying power compared to BF2 and 2142.
                            This is actually the least of my worries, so much so it's not even on my list of things to worry about.
                            A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

I've enjoyed conquest a lot.
                              I'm concerned about jets. If you don't get missiles on day 1 you're gunna be in for a hard time using jets.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X