[DICE] To “Adjust” UMP-45 and Other PDWs, also claymores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DICE] To “Adjust” UMP-45 and Other PDWs, also claymores

Many would agree that some of the best, go-to weapons in the Beta, currently, are the PDW or multi-class weapons like the PP-2000 or the UMP-45. The reason why is because they work well, almost too well. Complaints are beginning to rise that these weapons are too effective and make some of the starting weapons like the AK-74 variants or M4/M16 seem obsolete. DICE has taken notice, as Alan Kertz, Senior Gameplay Designer, stated that the “PDWs have been adjusted.” He continued, “…we are aware of the feedback and will continue to support BF3.“

On the other end of the spectrum, some have complained that the AS VAL is too underpowered and should not have been included as a PDW. Kertz confirmed that “It’s a PDW at high level, and it’s role has changed to be more like the VSS from BC2, though not as powerful.“

These feature won’t be making it into the beta, as we have reported earlier that it won’t be seeing any more updates.
    Source

But then I come back to my senses and I'm glad that they jumped on this, the UMP-45 felt more like an AR that was also effective close range. Nice change on the AS VAL as well, curious how much of a difference it will be from the VSS because I honestly don't want to see one of those again. To add though, I do believe they need to address the mk11, why they would ever make a semi-automatic sniper with negligible kickback capable of a one-shot kill escapes me. For the most part I just witnessed people running around Caspian and spamming it until they hit something.

Also...

On a final note, some have been looking for clarification on the matter of claymores. One fan asked Kertz if claymores are supposed to disappear after death, or if it is just a bug. Kertz clarified that they disappear “5 sec after your death. Balance issue.“
    I'm on the fence on this one, I suppose it would be better for balance if you could essentially just claymore every corner regardless if you die. But I don't like the fact of things "disappearing" just because you died. I suppose this is the same way they did it in 2142 from what I recall, so I'm okay with it in the long run.
    Last edited by Kappa; 10-09-2011, 11:21 PM.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: [DICE] To “Adjust” UMP-45 and Other PDWs, also claymores

AK-74u obsolete?
    M4 not good?

Who are these players and what planet do they live on? Jeez.

I welcome the ASVAL getting attention. If we could get the laserbeam from POE2, we'd have the perfect game! (Oh god, please, no)

EDIT: For clarity, I am merely referring to the fact that this is one of the few games since POE2 that I know of that has included the ASVAL. Very unique weapon.
    Last edited by Skud; 10-10-2011, 12:35 AM.
    Skud

Comment

I think these are good additions/modifications.

I for one have decided to stop comparing BF3 to BF2 or 2142 or whatever. This is a new game, new engine, and the weapons selection gives the developers a lot of room to experiment.

Comment

Good changes...

Also agree with the mk11...though if I had my way I'd eliminate all semi-automatic sniper rifles.

I recall that claymores and RDX disappeared after you died, but I think it took longer than 5 seconds...maybe 2 mins or something. Its been so long I don't remember those nitty gritties anymore.

Comment

I think the anti vehicle mines are also disappearing 5 seconds after you die, unlike the bc2 mines that would stay much longer. Don't remember how that compares to BF2.

Comment

The UMP45 change is almost a given, at this point. I would join a random Euro server and be almost amazed at the consistency within the hostile team: every single one was carrying a UMP45, regardless of their rank, or the range of engagement.

Comment

Yeah the mines are back to the way they were in BF2: they disappear at death. Not quite sure how I feel about that. One thing I noticed was you cannot deploy AT mines quickly, it takes some time, with your soldier standing in the middle of a road.

Comment

Would love it if the VAL got a nice buff, it and the VSS have been some of my favorite weapons since STALKER. Didn't get to try it out in the beta, but it'll happen.

Specterr: How the gunplay balances out needs to have the one-shot kill if the target is moving bug fixed first. I used the SVD a lot while defending and I think a good portion of my oneshot kills were the beneficiary of that bug. Recoil does need to be a lot higher on the semis, though, or they need to take one more bullet to kill. I tried adding a bipod to the SVD once and didn't really notice any difference in the effective recoil because there was none to begin with. Shame.
                I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Actually, I believe my mines were staying after death. I went to drop them on the road again, and they were still there. Maybe they were someone elses, but I know I got a couple kills from mines after I had respawned. I actually hope that they do disappear after death.
                  theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Wonder if they did the sensible thing and had mines remain after a respawn if you spawned with mines again and if you spawned with something else, they'd vanish. Would prevent every engineer from just throwing down mines at the start and then switching to something else.
                    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I know I was able to bury that mobile spawn becon at the Hilltop at the beginning of the round, then spawn multiple times as support and engie and that becon remained in the rock the whole round. What is really disturbing is that it seemed a recon can deploy a mobile spawn becon every time they spawn and the old one does not disappear. I have seen 4 mobile spawn points in the menu from one recon in my squad. I hope it was a beta bug or overlooked during development.
                      E Pluribus Unum

Comment

UMP and other SMG's do need a nerf. However...I will not enjoy spraying the entire clip into someone to kill them. The P90 with 50 rounds is already a gun that needs almost half to the full clip (depending on distance) to down a target. This makes it more of a flavor gun rather than something you'd actually want to use seriously.

The ASVAL needs some attention too. The ASVAL is basically the P90, with 20 rounds instead of 50. Takes the whole clip to kill people generally with this gun. Feels gimpy probably because it has a built in suppressor right? Wrong, that suppressor automatically takes up a weapon slot, so your gun is just gimped from the start. This gun certainly won't be making the rounds due to how other weapons can simply fill its role (read other SMGs, or better yet, silenced rifles).

In the end though, there are tons of weapons, and not enough roles to make them all stand out. The starting weapons are all excellent already, and you really don't need to unlock anything else to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                          I know I was able to bury that mobile spawn becon at the Hilltop at the beginning of the round, then spawn multiple times as support and engie and that becon remained in the rock the whole round. What is really disturbing is that it seemed a recon can deploy a mobile spawn becon every time they spawn and the old one does not disappear. I have seen 4 mobile spawn points in the menu from one recon in my squad. I hope it was a beta bug or overlooked during development.
                          You sod! I was running around for AGES trying to find that thing! :D

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                            It better be a beta bug hopefully those can either be disabled or have some type of duration, maybe even a limited number of spawns.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                              You sod! I was running around for AGES trying to find that thing! :D
                              Oh, I was in the same boat a few rounds before when Cuervo's squad was paradropping in on the hill for most of the round. Once I figured out the location of the becon, I figured it was glitched in there like the one I saw a teammate slide under the warehouse at the checkpoint. It took me about five minutes to figure out how to get it in the rock, since it wont deploy on a surface that is not flat. I only buried it two rounds, to see if it would stay and it did. I then went back to playing the other 3 classes the rest of the night and didnt bother doing it again.

I only spawned on it 3 times since coming in on a parachute over 2 squads of enemy is like coming it with a billboard over my head that declares, "Look at me, Look at me!!" Once was shot in mid-air, the other two times I was shot before I got my bearings to defend myself. Which was pretty much what happened to Cuervo's squad too.

.... One thing I never did figure out. What is that stick on a little tripod that the recon was deploying? I often found them, but didnt understand what they were.
                              E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed