Really Interesting Article on the State of the BF3 Beta vs Near Final Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Interesting Article on the State of the BF3 Beta vs Near Final Build

Pretty interesting article about the Beta and the Finale release.

Maybe this is the most major thing in it.

The beta and Battlefield 3 | Joystiq

There are major gameplay balance differences between the two. Weapons feel different, with different fire rates and recoil. And the damage model has been radically shifted. Death comes quickly in the beta, situated more towards Call of Duty's durability, or even last year's DICE-developed Medal of Honor multiplayer. Firefights in the beta prioritize reflexes over tactics, which is a departure from Bad Company 2.

This is not the case with Battlefield 3 as it is now. The version of Battlefield 3 that I spent hours playing last week has weapons and damage that feel like Battlefield Bad Company 2. This, if you aren't sure, is a good thing. It changes the dynamics of firefights, allowing for each side to take and hold positions, and making flanking and tactical coordination much more viable. The increased player survivability also make vehicles in Battlefield 3 more fair than they would be with the beta's damage models.
    "The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"
    H.P. Lovecraft

Re: Really Interesting Article on the State of the BF3 Beta vs Near Final Build

Assuming this is correct, then I'm kind of confused as to why the beta even went out, other than being required on the part of MOH pre-purchasers. I'm reading into this as kind of being "Beta test a whole different game!"

Comment

As it was told to me on several occasions. The primary purpose of the beta was to stress test the servers.

I will miss the damage model from the Beta. It didn't limit tactics. It rewarded them. If you were stupid enough to go blindly in, you died. If you took time and tactically swept rooms (with sights up) you prevailed. This change will reward the run-n-gun crowd.

Comment

And assuming this is correct I am confused as to why it is not simply called BC3 and be done with it? Sigh......

I guess people see this game as different things, this guy seems to be a console lover and BC2 fan, so he wants it like that. Most of us do not, and one of the saving features of the beta was how it WASN'T like BC2. I really hope he is wrong..........

Firefights in the beta prioritize reflexes over tactics, which is a departure from Bad Company 2.
        I DID find that pretty funny, that he felt that BC2 in any way prioritised tactics.

I hope they have not nerfed the damage of all the weapons to BC2 standards, as again I thought it was one of the few things they had right in the Beta. Guess we will find out. Pretty sure I can get a refund in the UK if it has changed under the distance selling act.

Comment

Wow what a total misinformation nightmare on the part of EA/DICE. So many things they did wrong with this Beta.

You can hype it up all you want but a huge disclaimer should be front and center on the Beta from the very beginning. On every download page, heck even change the splash load screen for the maps and say BETA for Stress Testing purposes (Older Build Aug 2011) or something. From everything I can gather the one thing they kept saying was they were testing server loads. Well then don't call it a Beta. Call it a Stress Test release of an older engine. Make your intentions clear from the get go. And when people ask questions about necessary details of the game that won't compromise any sort of sensitive information then come out and say the answer.

Wow, just wow. I can't believe how awful they did this Beta. Yeah. Someone needs to go to Marketing & Communication school with a concentration on Customer Feedback in DICE.
          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Beta build was put together at least 6 weeks prior to the actual release of the beta and was designed specifically to stress test the servers. It was not indicative of the final product.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Yes I remember seeing that but it really needed to be there at the very beginning and literally in the face of the players. I mean really put it out there saying that the version you are playing is 3 builds behind what we have and is essentially an advanced Alpha build. Not all gamers are very literate sometimes. ;)
              "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Whoever thinks that BC2 is more tactical than the BF3 beta has no credibility. Ignore article.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingKnee View Post
                  Whoever thinks that BC2 is more tactical than the BF3 beta has no credibility. Ignore article.
                  I hear that, however his announcement that the more final version has BC2 damage models does cause a bit of concern.

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                  Beta build was put together at least 6 weeks prior to the actual release of the beta and was designed specifically to stress test the servers. It was not indicative of the final product.
                  You and I know that, and most of TG are pretty well informed about these things. Most of TG have at some point been beta testers for other things too. Sadly Joe public has not, and they do treat this like a demo. I get the differentiation, but some may not sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                    Looking forward to the final product and what will be revealed when its released.
                    I haven't purchased BF3 yet and won't until the speculation has ended and we know the facts.

|

Comment

I'm a bit indifferent about the damage model, but the one thing I hope they change is the delay in response time. I hated finding myself dead as if I killed with 1 bullet.

Comment

I'll cross my fingers that damage is adjusted to be slightly less than beta but a fair bit more than BC2...I think that's the sweet spot.
                        Last edited by Specterr; 10-11-2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

^^^^^
                          I totally agree with that statement.

Comment

I really liked the damage in the beta (apart from the SMG's) and actually thought they had got it right for the first time, I really hope they don't copy BC2.

Comment

Damage Update from Demize:

@Demize99 There's been a few sources saying that the damage from the beta has been lowered significantly. Is this true?

@VGZClarity We fixed a damage bug, the base combat speed is the same.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X