No VoIP, joystick controls might not make it at launch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No VoIP, joystick controls might not make it at launch

More here: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1199753p1.html and it is not fake ;)

Re: No VoIP, joystick controls might not make it at launch

Sigh. That was a really weak answer on the VOIP question. "We like it how it is so that's nice (for us)". Well, I hope they change their minds sooner rather than later.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I especially thought this was hilarious after saying there would be no in-game voip.

When asked about the comm rose.
      It is the usual things that you can really miss on the battlefield. Bail out is a typical one; you're sitting in a helicopter and you realize that you want to attack the flag, and there's no way to tell you're buddy that you're going to bail out.

Will Bf3 have in-game voip?
      No, on PC this (battlelog) is what we're going to ship with. Then we're going to evaluate how we move forward with this.
      Sounds more like they are moving backwards, they already have the tech for in-game voip.
      Last edited by MrMojay; 10-12-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

There's also this. I'm not reassured about having full squad control in game.

GameSpy: What level of squad control will the release have? In the beta you couldn't form a squad, join a specific squad or lock a squad so it's just you and friends – will the final release be different?

Lars: At release you'll be able to invite friends, join squads, all the stuff that you need to be able to play with your friends. Getting into the server and seeing your friend, but not being able to play with them, is nothing but frustrating.

Comment

So it sounds like i'll be jumping into TS to chat with all the TGers on my team and then create a party in battlelog and squad up in game to kick ass at the squad level.

Sounds like a few extra steps, but it should work.

Another note though- we better have auto-balance turned off so we can keep team/squad cohesiveness between round/map switching. or make it so that people that aren't in a squad are the first people to be autobalanced. That would be an awesome option to have.... :drool:
          -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
            So it sounds like i'll be jumping into TS to chat with all the TGers on my team and then create a party in battlelog and squad up in game to kick ass at the squad level.

Sounds like a few extra steps, but it should work.
            I'm reposting this from the Why BF3 caters to consoles thread, but its pertinent here too. This is not acceptable. [repost here] Assuming I join a non-TG server, I would need to tab out, find the server owners' website, see if they HAVE a vent/ts/mumble server, hope that its the same program I have, download it if not, join, hope that everyone else in my squad has done so, and then I'd be at the same level as someone on the console who went "hey squad, what's up?" after joining the server and squad. Because DICE chose not to look at the lack-of ingame voip on a PC.

That same process I described, incidentally, is what EVERY other pub player joining our servers is going to have to do if they even think to do it. Why are you here on TG? I'm here because I joined a TG server in 2142 by chance and went "holy hell, these kids actually use voice coms! and squad! That's AWESOME!" and stuck around. It really, really sticks in my throat that, unless there is IN GAME VOIP, nobody else will be able to have that same realization that 2142 was about more than killing the other team while picking a point to attack, and even then that was more because you knew that other dudes would be in that direction. The same is true about BF3. [/repost]

It works for us, but we won't keep growing as a community if its like this. The only people who will play on TG servers like TG members is us. We can't do Learn TG squads anymore without ingame voip. I don't WANT to only play with my friends. What a crock. I want to play with the people on the server and more closely in my squad. If they are my friends, that's awesome and even better, but it is more fun, for me, to talk to the person right next to me in game that there's an enemy tank coming than my friend across the map (who may or may not be driving that tank)
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

As with everything DICE says, believe it when you see it and not a second before.

Edit add: Because Razcsak brings up a damn good point. How do you recruit new members into TG when you don't have VOIP in game to help teach new members how to be a TG member? How do you get people to come to the server unless you go to other servers and recruit from their public player base and show what a TG member can be like out there before bringing them here.

Very difficult to recruit when you can't even talk to public players because we know typing in game will be ignored like it is now.
              "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
              "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I agree with you Razcsak, I want VoIP, and it's a crock that we don't have it. It will be next to impossible to have a coordinated team in a random pub server without VoIP. The next best thing we will be able to do it to get a Party of 8 TGers together via Battlelog voicechat or through TS and do 2 squads in game to dominate. But teamplay as a whole goes out the picture.
                -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

I knew this would happen. It was obvious because they've been avoiding the VOIP question since the first trailer came out. There are so many steps backward between what was done in BF2 and what is being done with BF3.
                  sigpic

Comment

I see a lot of faces around here from bc2. I may hate that game, but I love the TG peeps that is has brought in. If TG can grow a solid community around that game, we will be totally fine without voip or locked squads in bf3.

Is it less than ideal? yes. fubar? no. I think getting people to install TS and try voip is critical - It will require effort. In bf3 I saw people show up on TS after telling them in squad chat we were coordinating on TS. 10 seconds of effort brings in a new TG guy. Its a nice selection principle that brings in new TG people that are more dedicated from the start due to the more difficult prospect of getting voip coms.

After a short while, the small pc teamwork community will develop ad hoc battlelog voip procedures. I suspect a month into it we will see new teamwork hungry players asking us to join a battlog voip chan - our response will be to point them to our TS server. They will be blown away and realize they have found their new home.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

While the proposed Battlelog and TS solutions will work in the meantime, I think we should still make our requests heard to DICE and let them know that the teamplay community as a whole wants in-game VOIP.
                      He was told that he should not kill, and he did not kill, until he got into the Army. Then he was told to kill, and he killed.

Comment

As someone who found TG during BC2 I think Sc1ence brings in a good point. We could/should make it even easier for people to find our TS info, hopefully by looking on battlelog and being able to get the TS info from our server listing (if that is possible) Also have it listed on our platoon pages. Make it easy and accessible and they will come.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
                          I see a lot of faces around here from bc2. I may hate that game, but I love the TG peeps that is has brought in. If TG can grow a solid community around that game, we will be totally fine without voip or locked squads in bf3.

Is it less than ideal? yes. fubar? no. I think getting people to install TS and try voip is critical - It will require effort. In bf3 I saw people show up on TS after telling them in squad chat we were coordinating on TS. 10 seconds of effort brings in a new TG guy. Its a nice selection principle that brings in new TG people that are more dedicated from the start due to the more difficult prospect of getting voip coms.

After a short while, the small pc teamwork community will develop ad hoc battlelog voip procedures. I suspect a month into it we will see new teamwork hungry players asking us to join a battlog voip chan - our response will be to point them to our TS server. They will be blown away and realize they have found their new home.
                          I totally agree. In-game VOIP is a great feature and offers an easy way to communicate with those new to the PC scene, however no one system has ever "wowed" me in comparison to the dedicated VOIP programs most use today. Teamspeak in itself offers a multitude of features that most in-game VOIP's only wished they had available. I strongly believe that one singular place for players to chat and promote teamwork is far better than relying on just in-game VOIP. In time, this might change however after using external VOIP clients almost exclusively for 8 years I do not think I would want to go back.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
                            As someone who found TG during BC2 I think Sc1ence brings in a good point. We could/should make it even easier for people to find our TS info, hopefully by looking on battlelog and being able to get the TS info from our server listing (if that is possible) Also have it listed on our platoon pages. Make it easy and accessible and they will come.
                            I agree with this...make it as easy as possible and it lessens the barrier to the point that 90% of the people that would have joined still will.

Comment

Complete honesty here, if I weren't in TG and had a reasonable expectation that I would be on TS with my teammates, I would definitely not be buying this game. This kind of disrespect to their customers is not acceptable, especially when they could just copy-paste the code from previous games.

This is disgusting, more-so because they don't even have a good argument about not having the money to develop VOIP. They're just ignoring the solutions that they already had available to them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X