Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Browser?

Hi Folks..
    With BF3's Web or Browser based server browser, I was wondering if anyone had examined the best browser to do this. I am concerned more with Resources being used. I use Firefox but have all types of plugins etc, that I assume are taking up some resources. Will a clean Chrome...or maybe browser switches etc..to keep it a clean launch? Any ideas?

Thanks

Peardog..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: What Browser?

I had good luck with chrome
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

If your system has limited resources, it could be a good idea to use a separate browser just for Battlelog to avoid having a bunch of plugins or web pages loaded.

Chrome and Firefox both worked well for me in the beta.

Comment

For some reason, I could not get it to work with FF. I used IE.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I shut down the browser as soon as the game started loading. I don't think the browser is required to run while you are playing. At least I thought I shut down the browser and played. I thought most of us would do that.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I used Chrome and it worked well. For what it's worth, I don't have any extensions installed.

I'm surprised they didn't make us download and install an EA Battlefield 3 web browser just to use with Battlelog. J/K. Sort of.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I used firefox and it worked without a hitch. I would leave it open and visible in my second monitor while playing the game.

Comment

Firefox 7 and Chrome both worked well for me in the beta. Once the release hits I'll test it out with Opera 11 as well.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancer’s maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
                  I shut down the browser as soon as the game started loading. I don't think the browser is required to run while you are playing. At least I thought I shut down the browser and played. I thought most of us would do that.
                  I didnt shut it down. So, when you left a server did you have to log back into Battlelog each time? I didnt even think to close the browser since I had it on the second monitor to see who was coming and going from the Comm Center.

I know it did not autolog me back in if I closed the browser at any time. I let Origin start upon Windows boot so that is running in the background. Then bookmarked the Battlelog site and joined it that way instead of "starting the game" through Origin, which seemed to take longer than just starting Firefox. Yet any time I hit the book mark, I had to log back in.

IRT.. I typically use Firefox daily(I dont have any plugins running at all). During the first week of the beta FF had no problem refreshing the information, but after one of the Battlelog updates it lost the ability to refresh on its own, along with a total loss of refreshing the party list without restarting the browser. I did try Chrome and Explorer for the Battlelog, since I was constantly having to refresh (F5) the browser to update who went into which server during the last week of the beta, but neither of them were automatically refreshing either, so I went back to FF.
                  theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

I only use chrome and it was excellent. I leave it open since it is so easy to ALT-TAB out of the game and go check stuff between rounds. :)

Comment

Good Info... Thanks..
                      I knew it was my Browser causing my crappy K/D ratio! ..Damn you Firefox! ;-)
                      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

My main browser is chrome. I wanted to save on resources too so I would close chrome when gaming (chrome is set to restore all tabs when reopened, i usually have about 20 open). I used firefox and only had a few problems. memory usage was around 200-250MB. I have 8 GB of ram, so it wasn't really a problem. But, if it got any higher i would log out of battlelog, close firefox, reopen firefox and relogin into battlelog.

If I ever got any laucnhing or login errors, I would exit origin and then try to launch again, relaunching origin and forcing it to log in.
                        -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Chrome for me, but it worked fine for me on Firefox also.

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                            I didnt shut it down. So, when you left a server did you have to log back into Battlelog each time? I didnt even think to close the browser since I had it on the second monitor to see who was coming and going from the Comm Center.
                            1. I shut down browser right after I clicked the join game button. I used firefox. The game started minimized for me and I would click on the icon on the system tray and it would pop up to a window. Then it would go to full screen when I pressed something. I have 6 gigs of ram, which is fine if I don't have to multitask much. But for the beta, I figured the browser running really could not help anything.

2. I thought having even a basic screen open on a 2nd window while gaming would suck up way too many graphical resources to be worth it. TS plugin for my keyboard screen is so wonderful. TS overlay never works.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I tried all IE, Crom!, and FF. None really stuck out to me for Battlelog. I am curious how the retail plays out.
                              Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X