X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] New Recon kit details

Linky to Source

Originally posted by David Veselka - MP1st
    Senior Gameplay Designer Frederik Thylander has revealed some new information regarding the point system implemented in Battlefield 3.

First, Mr. Thylander recently announced that a total of 12 sets camouflage patterns will be available for your soldier in Battlefield 3. Fans have been curious to know exactly how these camos will be unlocked and what styles are included. Thylander give his answers: ”I’ll leave the styles a secret, but as with every ‘all-kit’ unlock, it’s through rank-up.”

Thylander has also recently cleared up a few things up about how points will be earned in the final build of Battlefield 3. Personally, I was very excited to play as the Recon class in BF3 after finding out about all the cool gadgets that the class will be receiving, like the spawn beacon and the SOFLAM. One thing that disappointed me in the Beta was that the Recon class did not get any points for having teammates spawn on their beacon. However, according to Thylander, this has been addressed for the final build as the “Spawn beacon [now] gives points.” He also clarified a few things regarding the controllable MAV: “MAV is a mobile motion tracker. Points to you for anyone that dies in it’s radius.” It’s good to see the Recon class getting a bit more attention in terms of points.

As for the SOFLAM gadget, it seems that points are also rewarded accordingly for assisting in destroying vehicles. Thylander had this to say about laser painting: “The person who painted gets each point of damage…” He continued, “note also, though a javelin cannot lock on an air target by itself, [it] can lock on painted stuff. And, SOFLAM can paint air targets.” What I like about this is that it really encourages the Recon class to be more active in assisting other teammates, especially the Engineer class in this case, with his Javelin.

What did you guys think about the point system in the Beta, and what would you like to see changed in the final build? Leave your comments below, and make sure to follow @MPFirst on Twitter and check out our brand new Facebook page!

Missed some recent news regarding New Spotting Features in Battlefield 3? Also, MP1st wants your feedback!

TLDR:

-There will be 12 different camouflage patterns for your soldier's uniform that will be available through ranking up.
    -Squad mates spawning on the recon spawn beacon will give the beacon placer points
    -The MAV (Flying UAV for the Recon kit) functions as a flying motion tracker. Any enemy deaths in it's radius gives the controller points.
    -Painting a target with the SOFLAM will give you points. Also, the Javelin cannot lock onto aircraft on its own but it can lock onto an aircraft if it has been painted by a SOFLAM

All in all I like what I see from this. I like customization, and the camo seems like it will be a nice touch, as I doubt that DICE will go over the top with it. Also I like the SOFLAM details. Engineer + Recon tag teams look like they'll be an effective tank/chopper hunting setup.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancer’s maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Re: New Recon kit details

Yeah that's actually kind of cool. Engineer + Recon + Supply (Ammo) + Assault (Med). Well well. They want a 4 man squad to have every single kit in that squad. Nice.
    I restate that being a Recon guy with an unlocked all kit general weapon instead of a sniper rifle is going to be a nice way to go.
    "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

So the commander UAV is in. Only it can be shot down and there are multiple.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Pure speculation on my part here, but the MAV will probably have a smaller radius than the commander UAV to balance out the fact that several can be up at any given time and their mobility.

Regarding the Javelin, at first I was a bit miffed that it wouldn't lock onto aircraft, but now that I think about it it makes sense from a balance standpoint. If they allowed it to target land and air vehicles, every engineer would run a Javelin and vehicles of any kind would be too risky to use. This way it forces the recon kit to cooperate and assist the Engineers, and if they won't the Engineer's can just switch to Anti-Air rockets to compensate.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancer’s maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I likey :)

I'm excited to see how we can utilize the MAV.
          Skud

Comment

The recon kit is looking good.

In the beta I almost exclusively played recon and assault, the further I got into the beta I ditched assault and focused on recon, on Metro at least.
            It is nice to see that there are more gadgets to help out the team than there was in BC2 as recon (well they had balls and C4, but still).
            "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Where are you guys getting info about a commander or a commander UAV?
              -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

There is no commander or commander uav. They are making comments on the TG structure of play and that some TG members want to implement a commander role into BF3 on their own server. Hence when they comment about commander or commander uav they are talking about alternate uses for tools in the game.

In this case the Recon kit has a personal motion sensor with short range and is aerial or something. It's like a mini-UAV and with enough of them you might be able to supplement a commander UAV from BF2. I think it's not possible since the range will be small but the idea was brought up.
                "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

It looks more like the wizard balls from BC2 have been replaced by either a stationary one that leaves the recon free to move, or a mobile one that leaves the recon stationary. MAV seems like a straight upgrade over the TUGS too. Want it stationary? Park it in a bush, just like you would the TUGS.
                  I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post
                    There is no commander or commander uav. They are making comments on the TG structure of play and that some TG members want to implement a commander role into BF3 on their own server. Hence when they comment about commander or commander uav they are talking about alternate uses for tools in the game.
                    Ok, just making sure I hadn't missed something because I was sure they said no commander. It's funny how people are saying what they want to change when the game hasn't been released yet. I can't wait to play the game as is.

Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post
                    In this case the Recon kit has a personal motion sensor with short range and is aerial or something. It's like a mini-UAV and with enough of them you might be able to supplement a commander UAV from BF2. I think it's not possible since the range will be small but the idea was brought up.
                    The TUGS vs the MAV, is that what you are detailing. The TUGS is unmanned and I don't think it will disappear after the user dies. This has many great defensive advantages. The MAV is highly mobile and can spot multiple enemies, but dies when the user or the vehicle is spotted. It has many offensive advantages. Different uses for different equipment.

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                    It looks more like the wizard balls from BC2 have been replaced by either a stationary one that leaves the recon free to move, or a mobile one that leaves the recon stationary. MAV seems like a straight upgrade over the TUGS too. Want it stationary? Park it in a bush, just like you would the TUGS.
                    I used the MAV in the beta quite a few times. It creates alot of noise when moved around and is quite large. I believe the TUGS is able to monitor an area approximately the size of a flag cap area and does not require a visual to show up on the mini map.
                    -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
                      Ok, just making sure I hadn't missed something because I was sure they said no commander. It's funny how people are saying what they want to change when the game hasn't been released yet. I can't wait to play the game as is.
                      I wasn't saying anything about wanting or not wanting a commander. Just speculating on the coverage size of the MAV vs the BF2 Commander UAV

Comment

Damnit, with the new camouflage patterns, I'm probably going to end up accidentally spraying my friends because their "omg custom camo'd" uniform looks like an enemy's.
                        He was told that he should not kill, and he did not kill, until he got into the Army. Then he was told to kill, and he killed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
                          I wasn't saying anything about wanting or not wanting a commander. Just speculating on the coverage size of the MAV vs the BF2 Commander UAV
                          Oh my bad, not tryin to come across to ya that way man. I didn't understand what you were sayin. all good.

Comment

Can't wait to see snipers rocking the "Top Secret Experimental Urban Combat Hot Pink Camouflage."

Comment

I hope you can enable/disable the custom camo client side, its not always easy to tell friend from foe in BF3 to begin, at least that's what I found from the alpha and beta.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X