• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA Norway caught attempting to manipulate BF3 review scores

Wow, cheaters ;)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/19/ea...-it-a-mistake/

Re: EA Norway caught attempting to manipulate BF3 review scores

Not exactly surprising given their recent record. Maybe if they spent some of that $100 million from their advertising budget on extra features they would not have to worry so much about BF old boys being disappointed. Plus the fact they they yet again call out COD is sad. But not surprising! :)

Comment

That's so Norway ;)
      "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

I think the only thing that is surprising is how overt they were.

Comment

I am.. unsure EA are this stupid. It sounds suspicious that something that obvious would be sent intentionally, or even drafted internally, as well as the manner the gamesranx article posts the picture. Wouldn't this stuff be done via email?

Comment

yeah....Activision would never do anything like this in their COD series....."dripping with sarcasm"

explain to me how the hell MW2 on pc got the glowing reviews it did, every major company does this to huge games.....this isn't a new practice by any means.
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Sad but true, not an uncommon thing for the big publishers.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
                I am.. unsure EA are this stupid. It sounds suspicious that something that obvious would be sent intentionally, or even drafted internally, as well as the manner the gamesranx article posts the picture. Wouldn't this stuff be done via email?
                Sadly, EA's marketing department actually is that stupid. Look at their recent track record. The Dante's Inferno "Sin to Win" competition. Pulling the rug out from under their loyal fans by backing down when the US Army got upset over Medal of Honor 2010. The "Your mother is going to hate it" TV ads for Dead Space 2. Just add this to the list of "Brilliant marketing decisions" they've made over the past couple years.

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                yeah....Activision would never do anything like this in their COD series....."dripping with sarcasm"

explain to me how the hell MW2 on pc got the glowing reviews it did, every major company does this to huge games.....this isn't a new practice by any means.
                Agreed. It's a way for them to try to sell more copies of their product, as underhanded as it may seem. The only difference in this case their efforts were a bit more visible to the public eye.

In my honest opinion, I think EA's entire marketing department should have been fired after the Dead Space 2 ads aired, but it's not like my opinion means anything.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Every publisher does it. EA got caught.

Bad, EA. Bad.
                  -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Lien View Post
                    That's so Norway ;)
                    typical swedish thing to say ;)

Comment

From a recent article in The Globe and Mail:

"“The review scores are a first indicator of how a game will perform commercially,” said Jesse Divnich, a consultant and analyst for EEDAR, a research firm focused on the video game industry. “Investors will keep a close eye on them to measure potential success of a game.”"

The article notes that EA's shares dropped 6 per cent last October after bad online review scores for “Medal of Honor."

In light of recent events, this is rather poignant:

"Reviews have become so influential on sales, Mr. Divnich said, that his firm has been hired by major video game companies to write mock ones so that they can anticipate what real reviews might say."

And talk about foreshadowing:

"EA is mounting a challenge to Activision with its own first-person shooter game, “Battlefield 3,” which comes out in October.

Mr. Divnich, from EEDAR, expects Activision’s game to sell twice as many copies as EA’s game. But, he added, “if EA can gain higher review scores, it shifts the momentum in EA’s favor.”

And this from an academic study of the impact of online reviews on game sales:

"findings indicate that online reviews are more influential for less popular games and games whose players have greater Internet experience"
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't mind cause of all the cod noobs.

Comment

Wrong but not un-expected.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X