Why no 3D Spotting from the start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no 3D Spotting from the start?

I know I am new to this community, but I was going through Mantis' primer, and he mentioned that the TG servers will be using the BC2 rules, one of which is no 3D spotting. Evidently, Dice says that the complaints about the spotting system from BC2 have been heard and that this one will work much better. My question is, why do you stop it from the beginning? Why not try it out for a few weeks and see what everyone thinks about it? Just a thought.

Re: Why no 3D Spotting from the start?

I was hoping for a pure regular server and pure hardcore server to start. Make the regular server locked and the hardcore server unlocked, or vice versa. Because:

"So I will say once again - this is a battlefield game, but it is not your previous battlefield game. Battlefield 3 is part of the Battlefield franchise, but we all need to remember that BF3 is a completely new and totally separate game. This game will not be BF2, POE, 2142, PR, BC2 or COD and accordingly you would be advised to leave your preconceptions at the door. Rules, tactics and long standing Standard Operating Procedures from other games may not apply here."

It makes sense to start fresh.

I hope the is what you were trying to say, OP.
    -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Glycerin, yes, that is what my point was. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Short answer: Because in the beta it was too easy to rack up kills by shooting at ground level below an orange dot.

Comment

I can only say from experience, 3d spotting is a crutch. It pretty much goes against rule 3 of the primer. Even though people say they wont spam the "Q" key to find that sniper hiding in the bush, it is always done, so eliminating the 3D spotting reduced the temptation.

Welcome to TG Chachy
          theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
          E Pluribus Unum
          Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
          Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

DICE has further modified the 3d spotting from the beta to be more restrictive. Also, the shoot through rock error have been fixed.

...."leave your preconceptions at the door"
            -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
              DICE has further modified the 3d spotting from the beta to be more restrictive. Also, the shoot through rock error have been fixed.

...."leave your preconceptions at the door"
              I completely understand where you are getting this from and I agree with the sentiment.

EDIT : Angel's right, not worth arguing over. Read below statement.

I figure that we as the player base alongside the admin staff will have plenty of opportunity to test out each system and figure out what works and what doesn't work, and why. The game hasn't been released yet, and nothing is set in stone. Lets all try to keep cool heads.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

EDIT: never mind, Im just going to walk away.

Thank you Lancer
                theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                E Pluribus Unum
                Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
                  I was hoping for a pure regular server and pure hardcore server to start. Make the regular server locked and the hardcore server unlocked, or vice versa. Because:

"So I will say once again - this is a battlefield game, but it is not your previous battlefield game. Battlefield 3 is part of the Battlefield franchise, but we all need to remember that BF3 is a completely new and totally separate game. This game will not be BF2, POE, 2142, PR, BC2 or COD and accordingly you would be advised to leave your preconceptions at the door. Rules, tactics and long standing Standard Operating Procedures from other games may not apply here."

It makes sense to start fresh.

I hope the is what you were trying to say, OP.
                  The quote you use here is more focused towards the players expectations than admin policies and rules. While it does say that rules may not apply in BF3, that does not mean we have not learned through past experience.

Nothing is set in stone.
                  Skud

Comment

Originally posted by ChachyMcBalls View Post
                    I know I am new to this community, but I was going through Mantis' primer, and he mentioned that the TG servers will be using the BC2 rules, one of which is no 3D spotting. Evidently, Dice says that the complaints about the spotting system from BC2 have been heard and that this one will work much better. My question is, why do you stop it from the beginning? Why not try it out for a few weeks and see what everyone thinks about it? Just a thought.
                    Good question!

Should we do a poll?

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...back-poll.html

Comment

Ok, I would like Hardcore mode to be given a fair chance, like the other settings, is all.

Thx skud.

Death, I am not trying to troll or create confusion. I am sorry if I came across that way.

Comment

As in the past with other titles, the admins will explore many options over time. Our admin team is very experienced and is working in everyone's best interests. Just relax and enjoy and everything will be all right.
                        |TG|Melee
                        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

He does have a valid point though. Given the knowledge that changes have been made by DICE, it would be better for everyone if a reason was given behind each rule so that we can discuss it in a more healthy manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                            As in the past with other titles, the admins will explore many options over time. Our admin team is very experienced and is working in everyone's best interests. Just relax and enjoy and everything will be all right.
                            This^^. However, please do understand that the final decisions will always be made by the GO and his admin team. As such discussion is encouraged, but final say will always rest with him. You can not please all of the people all of the time. In this case it was decided that 3D spotting is not in line with TG's expectations or TG's primer, and that is that. That is not to say it will not change in the future as stated many times, nothing is set in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by ChachyMcBalls View Post
                              Welcome to TG, Chachy!

The short answer is this; 3D spotting is a gamey feature that is not in-line with Tactical Gamer's objectives. There are an awful lot of people that don't understand that Tactical Gamer has a very specific objective in terms of gaming and those objectives are rooted in the Tactical Gamer Primer.

Additionally, Tactical Gamer is not a democracy. The manner in which we support games is not based on popular opinion. If you look around the net you will be very hard pressed to find a community such as Tactical Gamer that has maintained its cohesion for as long as Tactical Gamer has. This is due in large part to the way we operate. If we changed our overall objectives based on popular opinion then over time as more and more "run & gun" style gamers populated TG, the very purpose of our community would change based on the makeup of the population. I will not allow Tactical Gamer and our stated objectives to be manipulated in this manner.

We have been around for well over a decade (pushing 15 years now) and although we have changed our name and appearance in those 15 years, the purpose of this community has NEVER changed. TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population. During this time the leadership, game officers, and admins have learned a LOT about behavior and the effects of various features being employed in multiplayer gaming. I expect these teams to LEARN from this past experience and apply those lessons to future titles and in this case that is EXACTLY what the Game Officer and admin team are doing.

I hope all this info helps you understand TG and how we operate a little better!
                              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X